Free Member
Sep 14, 2013
Huddersfield
Funster No
MH
Ford transit
Exp
I'm a newbie
hi im trying to get an insurance quite for this http://bit.ly/1gk3qFU but struggling as the guy who is selling it only knows its been converted professionally but doesn't know who buy. any brokers on here or advice please thanks

mark

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
Insurance Choice and Adrian Flux both insure self build motorhomes so would be a good bet. Does the V5 state motorhome on it as this can make a difference to some insurers.

Edit - your link didn't work for me, this should: Link Removed

Last edited:
OP
OP
Hudders1

Hudders1

Free Member
Sep 14, 2013
Huddersfield
Funster No
MH
Ford transit
Exp
I'm a newbie
Insurance Choice and Adrian Flux both insure self build motorhomes so would be a good bet. Does the V5 state motorhome on it as this can make a difference to some insurers.

Edit - your link didn't work for me, this should: Link Removed

It does state motorhome on the v5

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
I insured my self build with the Camping and Caravanning Club. Be aware that some insurance company's will need to to see Gas and Electrical Certificates if they don't recognize the converter.

Mike

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
If it was done professionally, there would be a makers plate on the vehicle with new weights etc, build number and so on - even custom builds.

If not, then it is a self build and will be treated as such by the insurers and everyone else you bump into.:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
plus there really isnt a test for private m,homes . gas/safe dont cover them .

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
while the conversion is to a high standard i dont think its proffesional in the sense of a recognised converter.

more like a very capable tradesman, probably a joiner/cabinet maker.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
its great to see what can be achieved with an ex royal mail / parcel farce delivery van. certainly looks like a quality diy conversion not a recognised converter. many insurers will ask for photos or a mechanical report for the conversion and others just wont insure homebrews

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Don't make much difference to insurance either pro built or DIY they either insure self builds or don't ::bigsmile: I know a few pro converters that are not on insurers databases so they have to get selfbuild type insurance. Both Caravan club and C &CC wil insure them cheaply :thumb:
Try all the ones named on here and ask if they will Mirror your car no claims bonus :thumb: it's also a good idea to get agreed value insurance :thumb: that way if the worst happens you know how much they have to pay out rather than arguing with insurers as to the value of your van which will be a lot less than you think.They have nothing to compare self builds to so will offer silly low price unless you have agreed the value :winky:
Terry

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back