Insurance: Free insurance on new van whilst still insured on existing one (1 Viewer)

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
Silly question; what happens when there’s a free 1 year insurance deal on a new van and you still have 6 months insurance left on the existing one. If you decide to buy the vehicle, do you terminate the existing policy with immediate effect at the dealership and go onto the new policy? How does it work? What’s the process?

Ta.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
You ring up your existing insurer and ask if they will suspend the remainder of the policy for a year and then start it again when your new one has stopped, or if not get them to refund pro-rata for the remaining months (less their admin fee!). Once your old MH is not in your possession though you shouldn't have any insurance cover on it at all so you can't be expected to pay up if someone else has a prang in it pretending to be you.

Just make sure that the 'free' insurance covers you for what you need and that the excess isn't silly.

OP
OP
wingman

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
Many thanks @Minxy Girl
Never thought about suspension of current policy for a year; good call.
Yep, I’ve already thought about the cover on the ‘free’ insurance offer. No point if there’s a huge excess, or if there isn’t any European cover etc. Also, I have UK & Euro’ breakdown cover with my existing policy.

No such thing as ‘free’ eh MG?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Many thanks @Minxy Girl
Never thought about suspension of current policy for a year; good call.
Yep, I’ve already thought about the cover on the ‘free’ insurance offer. No point if there’s a huge excess, or if there isn’t any European cover etc. Also, I have UK & Euro’ breakdown cover with my existing policy.

No such thing as ‘free’ eh MG?
Certainly isn't ... you could instead see if you could get a discount on the price of the MH if you don't accept the 'free' insurance ... worth a try!

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that
For both cars and Moho I prefer to avoid the “free” insurance and instead look for a better deal, free maintenance, AA cover, floor mats or whatever you can get. I fear that interrupting the regular insurance may somehow impact any no claims or loyalty discount you already have.?

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Silly question; what happens when there’s a free 1 year insurance deal on a new van and you still have 6 months insurance left on the existing one. If you decide to buy the vehicle, do you terminate the existing policy with immediate effect at the dealership and go onto the new policy? How does it work? What’s the process?

Ta.
Which van have you decided on wingman...

OP
OP
wingman

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
@buttons I haven’t quite decided to change yet; YET! (n) Budget approval from the IMF (Mrs W) is proving an obstacle. “Seen one motorhome, seen ‘em all.....why change” is the mantra of the moment! :rolleyes:
I have been ‘broody’ since traipsing around the shows last year. I’ve looked at more vans and layouts than you could shake a stick at. There’s nothing wrong with my current mount (It’s a 2014 Marquis’ Elddis 155 model). I’m touching wood here, but I’ve had no problems with her at all.

There’s only the two of us, so I fancied something a bit shorter without a fixed bed. Not really a massive reason for a change, but also wanted to spend a few bob and enjoy things whilst in good health and before the grim reaper calls me to that rally in the sky!

What van? I’m attracted to the new 2018 Benimar 483. Gets reasonable reviews and comes complete with decent garage for the size of van (accessible on three sides) has a rear view camera, solar panel, 170BHP Euro 6 lump, drop-down bed, winterised tanks, Cat 3 insulation, alarm and tracker (with a year’s subs) 1 year’s free insurance (hence my original question) and other nice features, which I won’t bore you with.

For the money and January deal discounts, it doesn’t look a bad package, albeit at the relative value end of the market.

One problem would be the Ford Transit platform. Nice cab and car-like features, but would have to get more secure locks.

So, that’s the story so far.

PS. Had a lovely day up your way in Ware last Friday (in the car not MH). Walked along the river and locks and around the nature reserve (although I’m not a twitcher). Polished the day off with a coffee and scones (not scons!)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Sound like your Mrs is happy with the MH ... just stop going to shows and get some bromide in you!

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
@buttons I haven’t quite decided to change yet; YET! (n) Budget approval from the IMF (Mrs W) is proving an obstacle. “Seen one motorhome, seen ‘em all.....why change” is the mantra of the moment! :rolleyes:
I have been ‘broody’ since traipsing around the shows last year. I’ve looked at more vans and layouts than you could shake a stick at. There’s nothing wrong with my current mount (It’s a 2014 Marquis’ Elddis 155 model). I’m touching wood here, but I’ve had no problems with her at all.

There’s only the two of us, so I fancied something a bit shorter without a fixed bed. Not really a massive reason for a change, but also wanted to spend a few bob and enjoy things whilst in good health and before the grim reaper calls me to that rally in the sky!

What van? I’m attracted to the new 2018 Benimar 483. Gets reasonable reviews and comes complete with decent garage for the size of van (accessible on three sides) has a rear view camera, solar panel, 170BHP Euro 6 lump, drop-down bed, winterised tanks, Cat 3 insulation, alarm and tracker (with a year’s subs) 1 year’s free insurance (hence my original question) and other nice features, which I won’t bore you with.

For the money and January deal discounts, it doesn’t look a bad package, albeit at the relative value end of the market.

One problem would be the Ford Transit platform. Nice cab and car-like features, but would have to get more secure locks.

So, that’s the story so far.

PS. Had a lovely day up your way in Ware last Friday (in the car not MH). Walked along the river and locks and around the nature reserve (although I’m not a twitcher). Polished the day off with a coffee and scones (not scons!)
Really pleased that you are still getting out and about in you dotage wingman. When my lovely ex got a bit stayed in her ways I just traded her in for a much younger model which brought a new passion and zest to spending my money....:) only joking of course she came with her own means and ideas ;)
As far as your motorhome, are you sure you want to get rid of that fixed bed. I've never had one but it sounds like a good idea to me. (y)

OP
OP
wingman

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
I’d never go back to making a bed up each night, BUT fixed beds are only useful when you’re laying on them. They take up a lot of dead space and in my van, squeeze the space in the washroom - the only thing that my beloved moans about. For me/us the way to go is a drop-down. It means a shorter vehicle and that Benimar has a separate toilet and shower across the back.

It’s all relative and there’s only so much you can fit in a vehicle. How many times have heard on here, “Works for us”, so it’s all choice and circ’s.

As far as outing the wife for a new model goes @buttons, its tempting :D2
If only we could design the layout of a partner; now wouldn’t that be something!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back