Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Bury
Funster No
MH
Low Line Coachbuilt
Exp
a newbie
If anybody has a towed car - Have you informed your insurance company of the modification to your car and did it increase the quote by much?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
NFU weren't bothered and as the RV was insured with them as well they included the car insured as a regular trailer with a max value of £1000 while HITCHED.
Unhitch and that cover ceased and it's own cover commenced

p-c

Free Member
Sep 13, 2013
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40 years
Hi
Yes I told them. Not a modification on their "list".So it got listed as a tow bar. No additional premium.
It would not be insured beyond third party when being towed and that would be under the MH insurance. so you need to tell them as well.
All above is to the best of my knowledge.
Regards
p-c

Edit. Papajohn got in as I was typing, many thanks. Interesting about the £1k cover.

Oct 27, 2016
Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1997
Yes I informed the insurance company and got them to confirm in writing that the towed car would be insured whilst being towed. They did so with no additional charge once I explained that the it was the car being towed and not doing the towing. This was when towing a car was less common and it was new to them.
Incidentally, I no longer tow having downsized so have the towing gear going spare if anyone is interested.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
My insurance policy shows it as a modification but is not specific. No extra charge but not covered when being towed. Third party cover from towing vehicle, which does show the tow bar as a modification. I just accept that the car is not comprehensively covered when it is a trailer.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back