Free Member
Mar 20, 2017
Australia
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
This question will probably be not relevant to most of the members here but I thought I would ask anyhow. I understand getting insurance such as comprehensive and 3rd party Cover for non Europeans (Australian) for a motorhome in Europe is downright difficult. (The purchase and registration etc. is to be done through a family company in France but the insurance may not transcend). I was wondering if any other non Europeans have been able to find an Insurance company in Europe that will cover them.

OP
OP
S

stinger9

Free Member
Mar 20, 2017
Australia
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
I thought this was going to be the case. Thanks anyway for viewing.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Hi just had a Google and spotted this.

https://www.duinsure.com/motor_insu...ium=cpc&utm_campaign=motor&utm_term=motorhome

We have a couple on here from Australia Tom and Sue that travelled the UK for a couple of years and took the motorhome back with them, you could send them a message. (y) Bob.

Search for member.
The wizened of OZ

I will add that the UK will be harder to do this than anywhere else, we have met non eu that buy in germany and the dealer register and insured the camper then agree to buy back, there is also a company in Holland that do the same.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
OP
OP
S

stinger9

Free Member
Mar 20, 2017
Australia
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thanks guys, unfortunately we are looking to buy a late model and not looking at rental or buy back. What ever we purchase would go into storage during schengen enforced 3 month back at home. We intend to visit long term - year upon year.
We cannot buy in England due to the fact we are also after a vehicle above 3500 kg chassis. I have a licence for a vehicle above 3500kg. As a foreigner we are not allowed to drive a vehicle in England if above this category and registered in England. However we can drive a vehicle in England above 3500 kg if registered in Europe. Go figure! So English insurance is not available to us if we buy in Europe.
I am aware of a broker in France which can arrange insurance but do not want to be in a position where after so many promises and a MH is purchased but then things change and cannot get insurance we would be screwed. Its a dilemma that I have to find way through so we can be active members here instead of spectators. Much appreciated your replys. I will check up on that Spanish hint gus-lopez.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
A close friend (Aussie) is over in UK at the moment and we had no trouble getting insurance for him(his vehicle) , I think you just need an address in UK . It is however a UK vehicle . Are you intending to buy LHD or RHD ?

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

stinger9

Free Member
Mar 20, 2017
Australia
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
tacr2man I cannot get UK vehicle as I am after one above 3500kg chassis. As a foreigner I am not allowed to drive such a vehicle in the UK unless it is registered in Europe. (I know it sounds stupid but that is the rule) If i buy for argument sake a HYMER 678 with a 4250kg chassis in Germany and registered in Germany I can drive that via the tunnel all around UK with no problems with my international licence. However, if I bought that same MH in the UK and registered in UK I am not allowed to drive it around the UK. I guess I could buy in UK (unfortunately prices are a higher than in Europe for models I am interested in - HYMER, MOBILVETTA or LAIKA), register it in UK using a friends address, get insurance (they may reject if over the 3500kg threshold for me on Aussie driving licence) in UK and then get someone to drive it over to the continent for me to pick up. Problem is this will need to be done regularly for hab checks, servicing under warranty, storage in UK etc. Insurance companies do not like you keeping the MH unattended in foreign countries. I was after a LHD for travels around Europe which means the pool to choose is a lot less. It is an outside option tacr2man though, thanks.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

stinger9

Free Member
Mar 20, 2017
Australia
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Tonka I think this is for UK registered vehicles only? See my reply to tacr2man why this may not be feasible. Thanks for your reply it is appreciated. Have tagged that website.

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
@stinger9 Agree better buy in Europe , (some on here) Broken Link Removed

LHD is much better in Europe , and easy enough in UK esp with Aussie side driving experience:) with your veh choice mentioned , you can also get better chassis choice when over 3500kg with RWD . Have you tried contacting a german dealer , and asking about the
licence / insurance question , as I have found they are pretty switched on with technicalities , more so than trying to deal with some of the other nationalities . This might help your research as well http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/ they can be quite inventive in solutions :)
What part of OZ you from ?

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
OP
OP
S

stinger9

Free Member
Mar 20, 2017
Australia
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
@stinger9 Agree better buy in Europe , (some on here) Broken Link Removed

LHD is much better in Europe , and easy enough in UK esp with Aussie side driving experience:) with your veh choice mentioned , you can also get better chassis choice when over 3500kg with RWD . Have you tried contacting a german dealer , and asking about the
licence / insurance question , as I have found they are pretty switched on with technicalities , more so than trying to deal with some of the other nationalities . This might help your research as well http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/ they can be quite inventive in solutions :)
What part of OZ you from ?

Sydney

OP
OP
S

stinger9

Free Member
Mar 20, 2017
Australia
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Australia is a designated country for driving licences so I am not sure that the 3500 kg applies. the 3500kg limit is for licences issued in countries other than the EU and other designated countries. It would be worth double checking.

Info from here:

https://www.admiral.com/magazine/guides/motor/driving-in-britain-with-a-non-uk-licence

The DVLA gave me the following written advice "You can drive cars and motorcycles shown on your driving licence for up to 12 months from when you last entered GB (as long as the driving licence remains valid). As you also hold a valid entitlement to drive vehicles over 3.5tonne, you can only drive these vehicles if they have been registered outside of GB and temporarily imported." It is also on their web page

OP
OP
S

stinger9

Free Member
Mar 20, 2017
Australia
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Australia is a designated country for driving licences so I am not sure that the 3500 kg applies. the 3500kg limit is for licences issued in countries other than the EU and other designated countries. It would be worth double checking.

Info from here:

https://www.admiral.com/magazine/guides/motor/driving-in-britain-with-a-non-uk-licence

I have written again to the DVLA with regard to the D9 form to register a non GB licence to see if this changes things. If not the advice above stands I guess.

OP
OP
S

stinger9

Free Member
Mar 20, 2017
Australia
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Just received advice from DVLA. "I appreciate you contacting DVLA to seek clarification on the matter.

You can drive cars and motorcycles shown on your driving licence for up to 12 months from when you last entered GB (as long as the driving licence remains valid).

If you also hold valid lorry and bus entitlement you can only drive these vehicles if they have been registered outside of GB and temporarily imported.

I'm afraid you can't complete a D9 form, as it can only be completed by EU drivers.

The only way to drive a GB registered vehicle in GB, is if you are resident in GB, you can exchange your Australian licence, and then pass a GB driving test in the vehicle required.

I hope this information is useful." So if I want to buy and drive a vehicle over 3500kg it cannot be a GB registered. So I have to buy in Europe and hereby lies my problem with insurance. So thankyou everyone for your views and comments they have been appreciated. If I have any luck I will post for others in same predicament.

wanderer

Free Member
Apr 14, 2008
huntingdon
Funster No
MH
a class Arto
Exp
since 2008
Some friends of ours from Canada bought a vehicle in Eire and insured for European travel through a Bulgarian insurance company. This was two years ago unfortunately i have not details .

OP
OP
S

stinger9

Free Member
Mar 20, 2017
Australia
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Some friends of ours from Canada bought a vehicle in Eire and insured for European travel through a Bulgarian insurance company. This was two years ago unfortunately i have not details .

WOW. Obviously shows that this is not going to be a walk in the park.

wanderer

Free Member
Apr 14, 2008
huntingdon
Funster No
MH
a class Arto
Exp
since 2008
Have you checked out duinsure.com which has campervan policies for Australians but the vehicle has to be UK registered.

OP
OP
S

stinger9

Free Member
Mar 20, 2017
Australia
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Have you checked out duinsure.com which has campervan policies for Australians but the vehicle has to be UK registered.
I am sorry but a UK registered vehicle is not a proposition . read above

OZeRV

Free Member
Jul 22, 2014
Cobram, 3644, Victoria, AUSTRALIA
Funster No
MH
Aust bus conv., UK C
Exp
Since 1995
Hi fellow Aussie, you are correct in relation to the 3500 kg limit on driving a UK registered vehicle in the UK. We have been through the hoops and checked it out thoroughly. Even though I have an Australian Heavy Combination Licence (prime mover with an attached single semi trailer) our solution was to buy a LHD vehicle under 3500 kg and register and insure it in UK. However, I understand that this does not suit you. There are several other approaches. One Aussie that I know 'bought' from a German dealer with special contracts drawn up etc so that the vehicle is legally his but is registered and insured via the dealer. Another has just bought a new vehicle > 3,500 kg in France and has it registered and insured under a French company structure. A bit of mucking around to set up but he reports that it all went successfully through and they are now enjoying the benefits. Check out: http://www.eurocampingcars.com/en/

OP
OP
S

stinger9

Free Member
Mar 20, 2017
Australia
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thanks OZeRV, yes aware of the other ways which was the reason why I initiated this topic. Both the German and French solution have one flaw. If the Insurance aspect falls through you can be stuck with a MH that you will not be able to drive. I was looking to see if there was a number of Insurers in Europe that would ensure us if we went down that track and hence reduce the risk. Apparently upon further investigation the pool is dry, and we would be heavily reliant on the organizers of these schemes to broker the insurance. I will be chasing up both methods in person in April to get a better idea of what is available.

There is also another way in which your purchase can work as well. You just need someone to valet the > 3500 MH to Calais and pickup when required.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back