Insurance for motorhomes & RV's (1 Viewer)

Bryan

Free Member
Jul 19, 2007
Funster No
Insurance...Is it only me that HATES it? :Mad:

It's renewal time for us and everytime it comes around I can't help but sink into a deep depression.

Why is it so complicated? Why are ALL the quotes for different things? Why all the small print?

I've had enough, so I want to develop a document (in excel initially as it's what I know best) which will list all the things that we need to check when comparing quotes.

It's the ONLY way I can see to make sure that we minimise the risk of favouring one quote but miss the fact that XYZ is not covered as we wish it to be!

It will also serve as a repository for the answers to all the questions that they ask us! (That will save us having to think 'on the fly' when they ask question 78 of 136 on their computer!)

I want your help!

I want you all to help me compile this list and when it is done I will publish it on here so that everyone can download it and use it when their renewal is due.

What sort of things? Well, for starters how about:
  • Is breakdown cover included?
  • Windscreen cover?
  • Contents?
  • What excesses?
  • Legal protection?
  • Courtesy vehicle?
  • Club discount?
  • Mileage discount?
  • Security device discount?
  • Monthly payment option?
  • Tax disc loss?
  • Foreign use?
  • Medical expenses?
  • Limited mileage?
Different things are important to different people so we need to include ALL aspects that we can.

PLEASE reply with YOUR considerations and I will include them. This will only work if we all contribute so please help me to develop this idea.

If you have any comments about the sections (e.g. "Can we have Security Device discount AND tracker discount as some companies offer both?") then please put them forward.

I will ask Jim to make this post 'sticky' so that we can all work together and help each other.

Bryan. :Smile:

Jul 20, 2007
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1999
Hi Bryan
Good idea mate....
How about under windscreen cover = level of cover (some companies limit to £500 which won't sort out an RV windscreen).
Also on contents, what is covered? Is it fixtures such as awnings or are they covered elsewhere?
What type of breakdown cover is provided? Simple roadside assistance or full recovery? Also will they repatriate from abroad or just drop you off at some foreign repair shop?
Discount if the vehicle is stored at an approved storage facility?

HTH

Keith

OP
OP
Bryan

Bryan

Free Member
Jul 19, 2007
Funster No
That's exactly what I meant Keith, add new concerns and expand on the existing.

Keep 'em coming everyone, you know you'll want it come renewal :winky:

Bryan

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
If you are over 3.5 ton then you need to check about the max weight for recovery for UK and Eu, also for recovering trailers and toads

H

Hugh Jardon

Deleted User
If you are over 3.5 ton then you need to check about the max weight for recovery for UK and Eu, also for recovering trailers and toads

also check to see if you had a failure with your trailer if they will recover your trailer if your tow vehicle is ok

our wheel bearing went on the boat trailer a couple of weeks ago and we encounted this problem, the boat trailer is quite big being 8.6m long and comes under commercial due to width and length
luckily we had taken caravan and camping club membership, then the special europe assistance for large motorhomes and trailers

otherwise the rac would have said Link Removed

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Bryan how is this coming along? We could do with it for the downloads section I am working on. Pull yer finger out mate:Smile:

dikyenfo

Free Member
Aug 29, 2007
lincoln
Funster No
MH
A class Mc Louis with small trailer
Exp
1 year
Insurance renewal

Compared Comfort quote with my existing insurer and mine is still miles better with 2nd vehicle given full NCB at the start and without breakdown cover like for like is 30 quid cheaperbased on 6000 miles per annum with Comfort - unlimited with mine. My insurer? Motor caravanwise. Tel 01425 280078 - never hurts to enquire.

roadtraveller

Free Member
Aug 14, 2007
Kings Norton, Birmingham
Funster No
Exp
20 years plus
Motorhome Insurance

As we are having a hard time trying to get our Insurance to cough up the money to replace our Motorhome, (total write off) ) they keep fobbing us off with different excuses. One of the things I would ask of a Insurance Company in future, is in the case of having to replace a van, can they arrange a hired van to be used whilst waiting for the company to pay up, and the other question I would ask, is how quick do they settle up. :cry:

R

RockieRV

Deleted User
Thought I would bring this one to the top again, with so many new members that perhaps would like to post here.

Sweet Chariot

Free Member
Sep 30, 2007
Staffordshire Moorlands
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2006
New for old for up to 2 or years. With regards to paying up I billed them for £70 per week towards the hire of a car. Settled in 2 weeks.Another item besides new for old I would like to see is as follows. Following any accident etc. if the Policyholder does not agree with the Insurance companies Engineers report a Independent engineer can be asked for a second opinion. This would have saved me 6 months of hell.The reason I include this is due to the fact some of the Engineers who examine your van have no knowledge of Motorhomes, as the one i dealt with stated they are just a van.

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
I am with Towergate Baker:winky:full euro cover on breakdown:winky::thumb:

kijana

Free Member
Sep 30, 2007
Mostly in a car park.
Funster No
MH
C class Luton
Exp
4 years
Number of days available for European 'green card'.

We were with Towergate Baker as they provided 365 days European travel. They have now sent us a renewal notice limiting this to 90 days, with additional cover at £19/week :Eeek::Eeek:

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
Number of days available for European 'green card'.

We were with Towergate Baker as they provided 365 days European travel. They have now sent us a renewal notice limiting this to 90 days, with additional cover at £19/week :Eeek::Eeek:

:Angry: Yep. The ball park keeps changing doesn't it. It pays to shop around every year. :winky:

Harley Dave

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Overton, Hants
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
<1
I think that's exactly what you have to do - so they are forced to offer you "New Customers Only" deals

Pretty much the same with Bike Insurance

Cheers

Dave

Corky 8

Free Member
Oct 28, 2007
South West Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
off and on since the 70 s
Insurances

Hello I may be late with this ,and you may already be aware of the company,its Called wait for it.... Caravan Guard, I was insured with them on my caravan which I traded in for a coachbuilt and they insured my coachbuilt ,even sent a cover note to the dealers to allow them to tax the M/H, it only cost £233, a year fully comp, give them a looksee, www.caravanguard.co.uk hope its of some help to some one, Corky

SPECATUR AGENDO (By our Deeds we are known ):Smile:

S

Stueysheep

Deleted User
New to this MH fun. Just enquired about MH insurance and was astonsihed how much the quote was. Cheap I mean and it covers FULL AA cover, homestart, relay, get you home and all that stauff.

Cheaper than my 1600cc Honda HRV road car.... Much chaeper in fact and both have un-limited mileage! And the Honda does not include breakdown cover.....:Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back