Kiwi Coss

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
New Zealand
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Are there any full timers out there that can put me In touch with an insurance company?
I tried to use caravan and camping but was refused because we had a claim last year.
Contacted Adrian Flux and they want to charge over £1,000 for the privilege.
Looks like it is an expensive claim and the clam was only £2,000. If I had know that I would have paid for the repairs myself.
Look forward to you help.
Colin

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
Try this link...i hear they do long term through Chauser
Broken Link Removed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 1, 2009
SOUTH WOODHAM FERRERS
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I was quoted by Comfort £740.00 for full time and was ready to ditch the CCC insurance taken whilst in our old house.When I called and asked CCC that I was now temporarily living with our son whilst house hunting for a unknown time they were happy to continue if I had a address.My log book and driving licence now registered at his address untill we find something that may take a few years.

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
If you are not on the electoral role and don't own or rent a property - Comfort is the ONLY provider for full timing.
All
The others require you to have an address even if u don't live there!

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
If you are not on the electoral role and don't own or rent a property - Comfort is the ONLY provider for full timing.
All

Exactly Dave , as I said earlier , and all the others who say or think they have full time insurance with a company other than Comfort are being economical with the truth to the insurer .. 365 travel cover abroad is not the same as Full time..

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
All

Exactly Dave , as I said earlier , and all the others who say or think they have full time insurance with a company other than Comfort are being economical with the truth to the insurer .. 365 travel cover abroad is not the same as Full time..

I've just spoken to AIB as from recent discussions for an article on Motorhome365 I was left with the impression that they sold regular fulltiming insurance.

They have confirmed they can and do insure motorhomers who have no fixed abode. They use the same underwriter as Comfort; Aviva and as they use more than one underwriter they can also place fulltimers with Equity. However, they did say that all fulltimer policy proposals are forwarded to the underwriters who have the last say in acceptance.

May 1, 2009
SOUTH WOODHAM FERRERS
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I take your point and with your previous posts in mind ,made the Comfort enquiries and was ready to commit .The electoral roll will be on my list to change.Surely you are allowed to live with a son or daughter without a formal rental agreement in place.We spend a lot of time back and forward to UK so no long trips yet.

Gandhi

Free Member
Sep 9, 2014
Near Glossop
Funster No
MH
bessacar E496
Exp
5 years
Can't you just find a friend or family member that is happy to have it on the electoral register that you live there and then just go and get run of the mill insurance?

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
Can't you just find a friend or family member that is happy to have it on the electoral register that you live there and then just go and get run of the mill insurance?

Of course you can! Just don't expect them to pay up if they catch you out! IMHO - if your insurance isn't completely up front - then you might as well not have any! I think it's the most important thing for a proper full timer. (Apart from beer in the fridge!)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland

Yes, you could .. however, the onus is on the insured to disclose all relevant details to the insurer.

If you don't disclose that you are living full time in your van the policy would be void.. and in the event of a claim .. you're up $hit creek.

"Non-disclosure" refers to the situation where a customer fails to reveal a relevant fact when applying for – or renewing – an insurance contract. It is widely recognised that in some situations involving non-disclosure, applying the strict legal position can result in an unduly harsh outcome for the customer.

Gandhi

Free Member
Sep 9, 2014
Near Glossop
Funster No
MH
bessacar E496
Exp
5 years
I would have thought proving you didn't live somewhere you were registered at would be nigh on impossible. I wouldn't want to have to prove it beyond reasonable doubt without extensive film footage, neighbour's affidavits and a multitude of other evidence .
.If you spend one night there a year and it's a postal address and you're on the electoral register then ........you live there.
Also personal experience of insurance companies (and friends' experiences) suggests they will try to wriggle out of any claim regardless of whether or not you're up front. It's their nature to do so. Sadly being straight with them doesn't always guarantee the same in return.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
You would risk everything you own, including a van worth tens of thousands of pounds by being economical with the truth with an insurer to save a few hundred pounds ?

I think that's madness.. be honest with the insurer, tell them exactly what you are doing otherwise they will have reason to reject a claim..

In my previous post I quoted from this site.. you can read more here http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/publications/ombudsman-news/46/46_non_disclosure_insurance.htm

deliberate
Customers deliberately mislead the insurer if they dishonestly provide information they know to be untrue or incomplete. If the dishonesty is intended to deceive the insurer into giving them an advantage to which they are not entitled, then this is also a fraud and – strictly speaking – the insurance premium does not have to be returned.

Dazzlin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 31, 2012
La Marina, Costa Blanca.
Funster No
MH
1986 Hymer A Class
Exp
From 2013
I've just spoken to AIB as from recent discussions for an article on Motorhome365 I was left with the impression that they sold regular fulltiming insurance.

They have confirmed they can and do insure motorhomers who have no fixed abode. They use the same underwriter as Comfort; Aviva and as they use more than one underwriter they can also place fulltimers with Equity. However, they did say that all fulltimer policy proposals are forwarded to the underwriters who have the last say in acceptance.

I spoke to AIB when our renewal was up in july and as soon as I stated we did not live at our contact address they said they could not cover us.
Renewed with Comfort. Rather be covered properly.

Gandhi

Free Member
Sep 9, 2014
Near Glossop
Funster No
MH
bessacar E496
Exp
5 years
Thanks for the pointer towards the ombudsman site.... I worked in the legal department of two major insurance companies here and abroad.

My wife was totally honest with our own vehicle insurers when she reversed at approximately 2 miles an hour in a supermarket car park into the side of an Asian's car. People in my wife's car and people walking behind her with trolleys said it didn't even scratch his paint- she took a photo of it but it was too faint to appear.
The result?
A personal injury claim against my wife to the tune of many thousands of pounds for both the driver and his passenger together with massively increased premiums for the next few years.
When my wife called the insurance company to complain about their lax attitude they simply said "This claimant is well known to us" and that they were not contesting it.

Another experience of motor insurance? Finding out that another company had insured my Volvo for 'Pleasure driving ' only for over 12 months and that I had not been insured to commute in it despite sitting in traffic doing so for 12 months, me being classed as a professional and the car being identified with them as the main vehicle. When I queried such a ridiculous cover and did anybody ever actually ask for such nonsensical cover they said, rarely, and that housewives sometimes did. It was obvious that whoever had quoted the policy over the phone at inception had selected the cheapest option to make it very attractive price-wise and not identified the useless nature of the policy thereby, effectively leaving me driving uninsured for a year.

Emotive phrases such as 'non disclosure' and the erstwhile belief that insurance companies will actually treat you fairly as long as you play fair are often little more than a blend of insurance company propaganda and romantic notions.

Give them an address, Get some of your post sent there. Get registered there on the electoral register.- Then you live there. I have never been asked to prove I live anywhere regarding any claim. I have never known anyone be asked to prove it. Nor I doubt will I ever.

If I live in an address for ONE SINGLE day where my post is sent to, where I am registered as living and if I deem it my permanent abode then my abode it is. I am intrigued to know how long I would have to go touring to be considered a non-resident of my bricks and mortar address? One month? Two? A year? Two years? The five weeks I have recently spent in France recently - was I non-domiciled at that time? The two years I spent in South Africa whilst having a car here in the UK for when I visited was I in breach of non disclosure?

Regardless of the value of the motor home we all already pay absurdly high premiums for vehicles that many of us drive less than a few hundred miles a year at low speed to park up in a field somewhere. The rest of the year we're paying to leave it on the drive. We don't need to encourage them to take even more.

Gandhi

Free Member
Sep 9, 2014
Near Glossop
Funster No
MH
bessacar E496
Exp
5 years
deliberate
Customers deliberately mislead the insurer if they dishonestly provide information they know to be untrue or incomplete. If the dishonesty is intended to deceive the insurer into giving them an advantage to which they are not entitled, then this is also a fraud and – strictly speaking – the insurance premium does not have to be returned.

I wouldn't be 'misleading' the insurer. I would simply be in my motor home for a good longer than most casual users - strictly speaking.

1 day a year, 100 days a year, 360 days a year..... Nowhere on my policy is time spent specified. Mileage is. If they want time spent to be a pertinent factor or an insurable risk factor then I suggest they mention it.

I had very expensive boats for years and never was I asked to specify how long I spent on any of them. It's none of their business. If they want it to be their business ask about it at the point of quotation.

If I decide to drive to Benidorm tomorrow and stay there for 5 months longer than my intended 1 month do I now live on it? I would be intrigued to see their attempt at proving so.

Imagine the confusion if they did start building in time spans to policies :ROFLMAO:

"How long are you planning to use your motor home this year?"
"I don't know"
"Approximately"
"I don't know depends on the weather"
"More than a month"
"If the weather's nice"
and so on..........

OP
OP
Kiwi Coss

Kiwi Coss

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
New Zealand
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Good comments all. When I rang the various companies I ran into a brick wall. If it wasn't an address, I used my daughters address in London, which wasn't suitable. Thru to me not having a UK licence long enough. Also we had a claim, non accident, small gas explosion, £2,000 damage, which counted against us. Also wanted more than 90 days EU cover. All said at the end we were not suitable. Bloody frustrating especially when you are trying to organise new insurance from in Europe. Just went back to Down Under for £1,000. Then it is even more frustrating when we get back to London and have all this junk mail come thru that all these companies want to insure us. Yeah right.....

Gandhi

Free Member
Sep 9, 2014
Near Glossop
Funster No
MH
bessacar E496
Exp
5 years
I agree Kiwi

they take the p*ss out of us, they really do.

Because we're typically middle class, low risk and usually offer low resistance they just keep on milking us for more and more. When we need them - in the event of a claim, then watch for their 'honesty'. It's true they aren't guilty of 'non disclosure' just obfuscation and playing loop holes all the time.

May 1, 2009
SOUTH WOODHAM FERRERS
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
We are using our sons address,our vehicles & driving licences are registered there.Registered on the electoral roll and post goes there.Lastly we still pay for our motorhome storage for when we have fly away holidays.No lies just the true situation but using the van much more than before selling the house.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
We are using our sons address,our vehicles & driving licences are registered there.Registered on the electoral roll and post goes there.Lastly we still pay for our motorhome storage for when we have fly away holidays.No lies just the true situation but using the van much more than before selling the house.

That's all good, you need an address for driving licence and insurance.. .. but have you disclosed to your insurer that this is a c/o address, that you live in your van, it's your main residence and you don't own or rent property ?

it's entirely up to you, and indeed anyone else who fulltimes what they disclose to their insurer , but if you ever have a claim.. they may have grounds for not paying out.

May 1, 2009
SOUTH WOODHAM FERRERS
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
But we dont "live" in the van ,we live with our son ?We use the van lots but not always and do not go abroad more than the specified 90 day per trip rule.We dont own or rent any other property just "live" with our son rent free out of the kindness of his heart.IF I had no family address (fulltimer) then it would be straight to Comfort.As it stands we are more 80%ers

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
Oh Gandhi - I think you will do what you want to do ! After all - it's only our advice and not legally binding:whistle:

Just ask yourself do you live in a property and use the motorhome a lot - or do you live in the van and have the occasional night with a family member in their home, then insure yourself appropriately.

............Just don't crash into me :eek:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Could argue all day Mojo about what constitutes full timing...and whether your situation constitutes 'living in your van' .

If you ask insurance companies they generally have a varied range of answers. Some class full timing as being in your van for more than six months a year, others say eight months. One company told me I either needed to own a property or have a nine month rental agreement in place to be counted as not full timing. There is no agreed definition.. my advice for what it is worth is not to hold back any information the insurer would deem as 'nondisclosure' and a reason for not paying out.

At the end of the day it’s down to your own personal situation, your view of the world and the level of risk you’re willing to take as to whether you tell the whole truth or not.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I would have thought proving you didn't live somewhere you were registered at would be nigh on impossible. I wouldn't want to have to prove it beyond reasonable doubt without extensive film footage, neighbour's affidavits and a multitude of other evidence .
.If you spend one night there a year and it's a postal address and you're on the electoral register then ........you live there.
I am afraid that "beyond reasonable doubt" is not the level of proof that will be required, because this is a civil not criminal matter. It will be on the much lower threshold of "on the balance of probabilities", i.e. more likely than not. And the question may not be as simple as "where you live" . This becomes more important when you understand that insurance policies work on the principle of "the utmost good faith", unlike other commercial contracts. It may well include the need to tell them about your life style if you know, or reasonably believe, that that may influence them in their decision to insure you or not. You can hardly say you don't know that after reading all this thread.

Many others have fallen foul of these sorts of issues and ended up with no insurance when they need it most, because they failed to tell the insurer about something they should have. Risk it if you want ..... I wouldn't.

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
You get what you pay for. Mine works out at £2.50 per day. I'm happy with that and have peace of mind(y)

.......it's not like we have many other bills full timing !!!

May 1, 2009
SOUTH WOODHAM FERRERS
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
The issue for us will be resolved soon as we are close to purchasing a flat which will be our property but likely to rent out.Once I get a tenant with a contract it will be Comfort for us,they quoted around the £700+ mark to us for full time a few months back which seems reasonable to me.

Gandhi

Free Member
Sep 9, 2014
Near Glossop
Funster No
MH
bessacar E496
Exp
5 years
Oh Gandhi - I think you will do what you want to do ! After all - it's only our advice and not legally binding:whistle:

Just ask yourself do you live in a property and use the motorhome a lot - or do you live in the van and have the occasional night with a family member in their home, then insure yourself appropriately.

............Just don't crash into me :eek:

There's no fools like a bunch of old fools........ White, middle class, comfy, near-mortgage-free folks with a 20 grand vehicle on the drive?

"How many miles a year sir? Just the 300 to 400 sir?
Only you driving it sir? Yes sir?
Rest of the year on the drive sir?Yes sir?
Look after it like a baby and maintain it well ? Yes sir?
Use it in low risk rural areas and not every day in the centre of London, Manchester or Glasgow sir?

That'll be £500 a year sir. Yes sir, you heard correctly sir, about the same as a small commercial delivery vehicle being driven every day across major cities and being parked in loading areas by the hour and having over 100,000 miles added to the clock annually sir".

"Happy with not claiming for anything up to £300 sir and if you do so, we'll put your premiums up for 5 years sir? Yes that's right we'll pay the £700 on a £1000 claim sir but claw it back from you in extra premiums over the next 5 years meaning....er you paid for it all anyway we just stumped it up front as a sort of loan sir"

What's that you say sir? You've also just realised that if you buy a motor home for £18k and it depreciates at 10% a year you'll have paid more in insurance premiums for it than it will be worth in the 12th year and you'll only have driven between 5 to 6 thousand miles in it. Well spotted sir! That'll be why we make in excess of £2 billion profit a year sir".

And we all wonder why insurance companies get away with raising premiums at way over the RPI year on year. They do it for the same reason a dog licks its b*lls.

'cause they can. :(

They don't sell cover. They don't sell insurance. They sell fear.

Fear about what could happen. Fear about those terrible things happening to you if you don't give them money. Those terrible things that few if any of us have ever seen or even know anybody who has seen them. (There's always someone who knows someone though hey - like gassing lol) And their best pitches usually include words and phrases like 'peace of mind', 'safety', 'non disclosure' and 'For only a couple of pounds a day' (a sales phrase ironically regurgitated by an earlier poster!).

After a decade of paying for exorbitant boat insurances, knowing and meeting literally hundreds of other boat owners who did the same I never stumbled across one who had ever claimed on it. Yet everyone always seemed to 'know' someone who had done so and who had been sooo glad they had it.:)

If we all paid a hundred quid each for using our MH's they'd still be getting a good deal whether we slept in them one night or 300 nights a year! It's a bloody caravan we drive to a field and kip in!

Payment Protection Insurance anyone?! :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Gandhi

Free Member
Sep 9, 2014
Near Glossop
Funster No
MH
bessacar E496
Exp
5 years
....and Brewery Dave

Trust me I don't 'do what I will do' as you so condescendingly put it but I HAVE to do what YOU do because you roll over and take it so easily and swallow Insurance company's BS so readily.

Trying to get someone like yourself to understand the appalling capital / cost figures associated with inflated MH insurance is akin to :banghead:

I have to continue paying silly premiums because I operate in the same market where guys like you are happy to pay over inflated prices for a questionable product which at the point of delivery (the claim) is often adjusted until it doesn't vaguely resemble that which you bought.:frowny:

Oh dear.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back