Aug 21, 2016
West midlands
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
2 years
Hi all,
Can anyone offer advice as to feasibility of getting correct insurance to tour Europe please. My plan is to travel through France for a couple of weeks, park up at Toulouse airport for about a month ( obviously fly home), then do another couple of weeks, perhaps find a different airport, fly home for another month then finally back out to return by ferry after a further couple of weeks. Obviously the problem is leaving the van in France/Spain. Any suggestions as to which companies might be able to offer this cover??

Jan 29, 2014
Scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache
Exp
July 2013
I think you will struggle with insurance companys they don't like you leaving motorhomes abroad.

OP
OP
J

Julieandjez

Free Member
Aug 21, 2016
West midlands
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
2 years
Yes well I'm certainly struggling!! I had a quote from LV at £1,500 which seems rather pricey! I had a quote from Adrian Flux at £475 but one agent says. I am covered for what I want ( up to 180 days) but another agent says not. Am getting the policy booklet sent to me to try and resolve but very anxious to do it correctly of course.

Dec 28, 2015
lake district
Funster No
MH
low profile mh
Exp
Since 2015
Wow sorry about LV. We only pay around £250 for 180 days full ncd and we can leave vehicle and return home

OP
OP
J

Julieandjez

Free Member
Aug 21, 2016
West midlands
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
2 years
Now I'm really depressed - no chanceSU can add me as named driver

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Make sure you read the t&cs carefully as most insurers will NOT allow you to leave the MH unattended abroad, or even in the UK, as it is insured to be either with you or at your normal residence/storage place. If you leave it unattended obviously there is a greater risk of it being damaged/broken into therefore the chances of their having to pay out rises, hence the higher cost for insurance ... if you can get it!

Obviously this doesn't apply for leaving it alone whilst going out on day trips!

Dec 28, 2015
lake district
Funster No
MH
low profile mh
Exp
Since 2015
Make sure you read the t&cs carefully as most insurers will NOT allow you to leave the MH unattended abroad, or even in the UK, as it is insured to be either with you or at your normal residence/storage place. If you leave it unattended obviously there is a greater risk of it being damaged/broken into therefore the chances of their having to pay out rises, hence the higher cost for insurance ... if you can get it!

Obviously this doesn't apply for leaving it alone whilst going out on day trips!
Absolutely correct sound advice. We did check with LV as we thought we might have to leave the van and return later and they said it was ok

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Absolutely correct sound advice. We did check with LV as we thought we might have to leave the van and return later and they said it was ok
What exactly did they say you would be covered for though ... third party or comprehensive?

Dec 28, 2015
lake district
Funster No
MH
low profile mh
Exp
Since 2015
What exactly did they say you would be covered for though ... third party or comprehensive?
Comprehensive. In the end we didn't need to leave it, but just to satisfy myself I called a second time and got the same answer. I would get them to confirm in writing though!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Comprehensive. In the end we didn't need to leave it, but just to satisfy myself I called a second time and got the same answer. I would get them to confirm in writing though!
It is VERY unusual for them to let you do this, especially with such a low policy cost ... as you say getting it in writing is the only way to confirm it for sure.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Read the small print.
Most will state that when the vehicle is away from its "declared" overnight parking area ie your driveway or storage facility you are not covered if left unattended for more than xx hours. This is often 36 or 48...

I have left mine a few times in Spain but no more than a week and took the gamble as it was left on a campsite pitch or caravan storage area.

Just read ref LV.. interesting.... !!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Can you give us a bit more info about the circumstances, ie how long were you going to be leaving it for, and where was it going to be left ... what does your policy doc actually say?

Dec 28, 2015
lake district
Funster No
MH
low profile mh
Exp
Since 2015
The policy doc doesn't mention leaving the vehicle unattended . It was going to be a couple of weeks.

Feb 13, 2013
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Rapido 881F
Exp
Since 2015
As stated above read the small print but my policy with the Caravan Club does allow more than the 'usual' 36/48 hours unattended condition.

I have even asked about leaving the motorhome with a dealer for 3 to 4 weeks whilst we cycle down the Danube and that wasn't seen as a problem.There might be an additional sum to pay but it was the only policy I could find which didn't seemed happier if you left your motorhome locked up in the secure storage area most of the year!

It didn't cost the earth either.

OP
OP
J

Julieandjez

Free Member
Aug 21, 2016
West midlands
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
2 years
Thanks for all the comments - I will report progress. What is most infuriating ( wearing my Victor Meldrew hat) is the lack of knowledge and misdirection you get from the insurance companies/brokers themselves !

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
i would put in writing exactly what you intend to do and get written confirmation of levels of cover

OP
OP
J

Julieandjez

Free Member
Aug 21, 2016
West midlands
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
2 years
Just a bit of an update - have now got the required insurance, all paid up to start early next month. I know I am correctly insured because I spelt out to the agent exactly what I wanted, i.e. To leave van abroad for short periods while I flew home, and the agent confirmed the cover and had it confirmed by the supervisor.
Have got the documents and have now emailed broker to confirm cover as advised by agent and supervisor is correct and to ask for email confirmation.
I don't expect to get this confirmation. I hope to be proved wrong but think I, like I imagine many people, have been misadvised/misinformed.
(Policy with KGM, £490, 7,500 miles, 180 day European cover).

OP
OP
J

Julieandjez

Free Member
Aug 21, 2016
West midlands
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
2 years
So the final word!! Had to chase broker ( Adrian Flux) for a reply to my email which never arrived. Had a phone call from customer services and surprise of all surprises the policy they had sold me did NOT cover me for what I had requested. This has to be a lesson for us all when arranging non standard insurance, check, check and check again and do get specific cover clarified in writing. I suspect it is only when a broker ( any broker) has to commit their firm ( and protect it from potential litigation) that anybody actually checks that what they are saying is correct!!!
Anyway thumbs up at the end for Adrian Flux. They came up with an alternative policy, slightly higher excess, slightly higher premium that they didn't charge me for, but that did cover me for exactly what I want ( subject to still getting it in writing!)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back