Insurance for dogs (1 Viewer)

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
We insure our Cocker Spaniels with Pet-insurance.co.uk underwritten by Equine and Livestock .
The premiums have increased with age of dogs and for Millie it is now £36 per month dd .
Benji passed on last year following a 12 month fight with cancer treated by Dick White Referrals near Newmarket at a considerable cost.
Because I pay by monthly dd I understand that the cover is a 28 day policy and for Benji it amounted to £5k per 28 days which well covered the costs.
I do not understand the detail of that as I initially understood that the cover was £5k pa , a welcome surprise when we commenced with claims.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Perhaps the spare wheel was a bad example..
What I rather poorly tried to say, was... Its what you feel is right for you.
There is no right or wrong

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
It's not uncommon for - how shall I put this - for a vet's "attitude and advice" to change when they know the client doesn't have insurance.
I agree, when there is insurance a vet will do loads of tests because they can, not all are totally necessary as we find out when we tell them we don't have insurance so only the necessary ones are done which obviously reduces the bill.

We've never had pet insurance as there are too many 'get out' clauses for the company and exclusions, dental for instance isn't always covered and that tends to be the thing that we have done mostly with our dogs. Sometimes you have to pay an excess too which can often be near enough what the vet bill will be anyway.

Our Midge probably cost us £2,500 in the 8 months or so we were treating him for Cushing's disease which unfortunately didn't work well so we had him put down at 9 years old, our Romy on the other hand has just been put down at 17 having also developed Cushing's disease just under 2 years ago and then in January a chronic urine infection, plus some kidney and liver failure. We refused to have some tests for the Cushing's as she was stable on the tablets with no changing symptoms so couldn't see the point of putting her through the stress of having to go to the vets and having to stay whilst they did them and fret. Same with tests for the kidney and liver failure which would have meant taking blood, we didn't have these done as there wasn't much that could have been done in any case so it would have simply been to confirm what was happening than anything else. I'm sure if we'd had insurance they would have been 'keener' for us to have them done but we still wouldn't have done so, the cost is one thing but the dog comes first and no way were we going to do anything to upset her unduly - whilst she was willing to keep fighting so did we but we knew her well enough to be able to say when it wasn't right to continue anymore which no test could tell us. She's probably cost us around £1,500 in the last couple of years but the cost of insuring her, if indeed we could have, would have probably been around £2,000.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Took Kerry to my vet with a sore shoulder...

She examined & manipulated it.

"Probably nothing much, we can do a scan if you want" (she knows I don't have insurance), "or I can give her some anti inflammatory & we'll keep an eye on it"

Bill about £40. Sorted.
Less than a month premium, less than excess.

Oct 22, 2019
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640 welcome
Exp
Since October 2019
Mixed on this . Our arnie lost an eye last year and it was all (but two years excess ) covered . However Cooper our eldest was diagnosed with lymphnoma 12 months ago and we decided (as he was 10 at the time) not to go down the chemo route - in fact we took no treatment . We also decided that as boxers live for 10 1/2 years on average we wouldn’t insure him and if he was in pain then we would have him put to sleep. 12 months on and he’s fitter than ever !!!! No signs of any illness and I’ve put £1200 of premiums into a separate account.

C33JAY

Free Member
Dec 13, 2019
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
2 x years Travelling in Europe in our VW T6
When I look at the price of Insurance for the House = £150 / the Car = £180 / the Motorhome = £350 all necessary and cost dependent on risk level, then I look at my Dogs Insurance which is = £550 for our Chow Chow & £135 for a Bichon x so choose your breed carefully rofl :ROFLMAO: .

Our Chow has a leg problem which required operating on when he was very young and cost in excess of £2500 he is now 5 years old and has also been treated for a poorly stomach cost £700 & then his life was saved by the Vets treatment recently after he had somehow found & eaten Rat Poison cost £1500 so when I look at all these costs which the payments are all dealt with between Animal Friends Insurance and the Vet through a system called Pet Pawtal (y):giggle: I dont have to put my hand in my pocket or indeed have to worry about any of the money side of things which is exactly why we have Insurance / Pet Insurance (y) :happy:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
Mixed on this . Our arnie lost an eye last year and it was all (but two years excess ) covered . However Cooper our eldest was diagnosed with lymphnoma 12 months ago and we decided (as he was 10 at the time) not to go down the chemo route - in fact we took no treatment . We also decided that as boxers live for 10 1/2 years on average we wouldn’t insure him and if he was in pain then we would have him put to sleep. 12 months on and he’s fitter than ever !!!! No signs of any illness and I’ve put £1200 of premiums into a separate account.
We’ve had 2 boxers over the years, one went to 13 1/2 years and the other went to 12 1/2 years so both above average, we were very lucky.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back