Free Member
Feb 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
I'm a newbe
Hello. I am in the process of buying a 20 year old Mercedes 308d van with existing 'home' conversion. The purchase price is £2000 pounds plus some improvement costs of say £500. Total value approx £2500. I am looking for insurance and have read advice but this seems to be based on more valuable vehicles. I do not intend travelling abroad, the van being used only for occasional uk trips. Should I consider just 'third party' cover given the low value. I am aged 66 and have existing car insurance. Any advice would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
My hymer will be 20 years old in april, fully comp with comfort, would never go 3rd party. Insurance companies may not offer 3rd party, get a few quotes.

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
Hi. We joined the Caravan Club when we had our '86 MB608 conversion, to qualify for their insurance which has no limits on age or size - well, not that affect these vans. Also get their breakdown cover, Green Flag. 608 was 6.5t gross. For us both driving the premium was about £180p.a. The breakdown cover is optional - think it was about £80ish at the time... Stayed with the CC since with our '91 Dethleffs as can't find better quotes so far, even with the CC membership fee...
That was fully comp. with 9 months foreign use...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Welcome to the forum :Smile:

IMO .. You would be better with comprehensive..

firstly, you won't save much, if anything at all by having third party.. secondly, some insurers load third party policies as they assume (rightly or wrongly) that you don't place much value on your vehicle.. so are less careful and therefore more likely to claim..

Try Comfort and Safeguard.. highly regarded .. also Frank Pickles brokers has had good reviews. http://www.frankpickles.co.uk/

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2012
leicester
Funster No
MH
swift kontiki and vw cam
Exp
15yrs
Try performance direct I just done my vw on a classic policy very good rates i thought as I am not member of cc or ccc but did mention fun club!! You dont need any ncb if it qualfies as classic vehicle but not sure if it has tobe 20 or 25 yrs good luck

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi lots of ins co'S TO CHOOSE FROM :thumb:Worth mentioning on self builds to get an agreed value :thumb: if not they will try and pay you for a basic van if the worst happens ::bigsmile:Agreed value takes all the guess work out of the assumed value which one assumes on yours is 2.5k. If you go for agreed value say 5k and they agree that then if it's a write off that's what they have to pay--a lot simpler than arguing later :winky:
It would also work on most m/hs ::bigsmile::thumb:
Terry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back