Insurance for a British non resident. (1 Viewer)

Simon H.

Free Member
Feb 5, 2018
Funster No
Hi All,

Getting to grips with trying to get insurance for my new Bailey Autograph.

I have a British passport and Drivers licence and over I'm over 50. I don't live in the UK (based in Cape Town- SA, thus making me Non Resident) but wish to keep my MH and start all my journeys from here in Chichester.

I've been batted off by all but one company so far and I'd like to get at least a couple of comparisons to make an informed decision.

Can anyone assist in this regard?

Cheers

Simon H.

rouge24

Free Member
Mar 1, 2018
Funster No
I hadn't even considered insurance myself in the UK. I am not a citizen but rather stay/travel for business. I will have to look into this. If I find anything, I will let you know.

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
You're going to need a UK address to register the motorhome and to update your UK licence address (it's an offence not to) so, as far as insurance is concerned, you would need to insure at the same address even if it's kept in storage elsewhere. That question will be asked in the insurance proposal.

Upvote 0

rouge24

Free Member
Mar 1, 2018
Funster No
You're going to need a UK address to register the motorhome and to update your UK licence address (it's an offence not to) so, as far as insurance is concerned, you would need to insure at the same address even if it's kept in storage elsewhere. That question will be asked in the insurance proposal.

So long as I have a residential address, I can then store it anywhere without complications with insurance? I think understood that correctly.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
So long as I have a residential address, I can then store it anywhere without complications with insurance? I think understood that correctly.
My reply was aimed at Simon but will also apply to you.

Yes, as far as the law is concerned, but that's very unlikely as far as insurers are concerned.
If it's not stored at home you have to declare where it's stored and many insurers don't like it unless it's a recognised storage yard.

Upvote 0

rouge24

Free Member
Mar 1, 2018
Funster No

Yes, as far as the law is concerned, but that's very unlikely as far as insurers are concerned.
If it's not stored at home you have to declare where it's stored and many insurers don't like it unless it's a recognised storage yard.
Oh my bad, thanks for the information though. Didn't mean to highjack the thread lol

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Simon H.

Simon H.

Free Member
Feb 5, 2018
Funster No
Hi, thanks for the responses. It's not very encouraging. Tried AIB. They weren't interested. Thanks Stroppy Bird for your recommendation. If you are non resident you have to declare it otherwise any future claim will be rejected. Using a local address won't cut it.

Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Simon H

You have a British passport so you could declare yourself as having become resident in UK - no tax implications till you have been in UK for 183 days in any tax year, which you won't be.

Then you just need an address for DVLA for Licence and vehicle registration and for Insurance.

Geoff

Upvote 0

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp

How will he be able to validate his insurance if he is not a resident of the UK.

Upvote 0

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Simon H

You have a British passport so you could declare yourself as having become resident in UK - no tax implications till you have been in UK for 183 days in any tax year, which you won't be.

Then you just need an address for DVLA for Licence and vehicle registration and for Insurance.

Geoff

If he registers as a UK citizen then he would surely need to de-register himself as a citizen of the RSA. This sounds like a right dodgy route to me.

Upvote 0

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Just a suggestion , do you have someone in the UK who you could register the vehicle with DVLA and then insure it having you as a additional driver.

This is the kind of strategy which many thousands of parents employed to get car insurance for their young sprogs with 0% NCD.

The insurance companies will void any policy or claim where it has been determined that the named driver is in fact the main driver.

Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2009
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
If he registers as a UK citizen then he would surely need to de-register himself as a citizen of the RSA. This sounds like a right dodgy route to me.

There is no registration system for residents in the UK, certainly not for a British passport holder.

Ther is no reason he cannot be temporarily resident in the UK while still being permanently resident in RSA.

I do not know what you mean by 'validate insurance'. I have never been through such a process.

Geoff

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Simon H.

Simon H.

Free Member
Feb 5, 2018
Funster No
Thanks, contacted Comfort,the top motor home insurer, and they said they wouldn't look at a non res British subject. Pity, they have such a good reputation, I would liked to have used them.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Simon H.

Simon H.

Free Member
Feb 5, 2018
Funster No
Hi Geof, thanks for the suggestion regarding the declaration of residence. It sounds like the right thing to do without breaking any rules. To whom or where would I make such a declaration? Appreciate all the advice on this forum.

Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2009
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Hi Geof, thanks for the suggestion regarding the declaration of residence. It sounds like the right thing to do without breaking any rules. To whom or where would I make such a declaration? Appreciate all the advice on this forum.

As I said in my post there is no system for registering as a UK Resident, not even for EU Citizens - well not prior to Brexit.

Just do not say you are a RSA Resident, give a UK address and it will be assumed that you are resident there. If you did not give your name to Comfort they would not know about RSA.

You would not be doing anything to breach UK law as being a British Citizen you have the right to enter and reside in the UK, albeit temporarily.

Geoff

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back