Insurance Cover on Self Import until V5 arrives and plates fitted

Discussion in 'Motorhome Insurance General Discussion' started by Bustup15, Sep 25, 2018.

1. Bustup15

Bustup15 Funster

Ratings:
    +39
    Spent a day ringing around insurers to obtain budget costs for next years import. To be honest pleasantly surprised at circa £600 from both Comfort and AIB including European cover, full windscreen cover etc.

The issue I have is trying to get cover when on VIN number only with German import/export plates. I understand no one will give me cover until I hit UK but both of above are saying only a dealer import will be accepted on cover until UK plates are fitted?

Safeguard @ £1054 (a reduction after some haggling) will cover Third party fire and theft but no on road cover unless driving to a pre arranged booking for UK mods. - 1 hop only as even then they won't cover from garage to storage after mods with on road cover, suggested I put it on a transporter!

I have read of others getting cover - anyone share who this was or how they got around the above please?

Cheers - Neil

2. Robert Clark

Robert Clark Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +43,133
    Try NFU Mutual

• Nice One! Nice One! x 1
  3. Riverbankannie

Riverbankannie Funster

Ratings:
    +5,494
    • Like it Like it x 1
  4. BreweryDave

BreweryDave Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +9,420
    Buy the cover to get you back, then cancel within the cancellation period, 14 days I believe;)

AIB covered me on the vin from Paris to U.K. whilst on French plates, on the vin.

5. Rob Turner

Rob Turner Funster

Ratings:
    +495
    I did mine with NFU, insured on the vin and when the reg came through just let them know the number and they updated the policy.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. Speve

Speve Funster

Ratings:
    +4,738
    We imported ours in June and I could only get Safeguard to insure it cost around £893
    Bloody rip off but the only ones that would do it on the VIN as you can’t register first time with DVLA without insurance,catch 22.the problem with cancelling you have to do it within a certain time and you don’t know how long the import process will take.
    We had even higher quotes from Adrian Flux £1300.
    Will be back with Comfort next year hopefully.(y)
    Good luck hope you get sorted.
    I drove back to home on German Export plates I know it was a risk asonly third party but no incidents and all sorted.
    The other point was that they will insure on vin but once at home they won’t cover you if you drive anywhere, I just arranged for anything that needed doing after getting registration as Safeguard gave me a month to get alarm fitted.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2018
  7. Bustup15

Bustup15 Funster

Ratings:
    +39
    Thanks everyone for your input - seems like NFU might be the one to chase - will let you know what happens.

8. Anesta

Anesta Funster

Ratings:
    +18
    I just got a quote from Safeguard. Same predicament: going to get van from Germany next month and will have temp. plates and insurance from Germany but only for 30 days. So, asked what happens if DVLA takes more than 4 weeks to register motorhome (German insurance expires, don't have registration: how do I get insurance??), and Safeguard said they would insure on chassi n. until plates are done.
    A doubt: can I drive, say from Folkestone to Eddie (Vanbitz), from Eddie to storage, storage to MOT and back to storage on German plates/insurance?

9. Bustup15

Bustup15 Funster

Ratings:
    +39
    @Anesta
    As I said in my earlier thread. Safeguard said they would cover me driving to ONE prearranged appointment but no further. The van would need to stay at garage or be lifted on transporter - :whistle::whistle::whistle:.

What's the position if I can borrow trade plates from a friendly dealer?

By the way Caravan and Camping came back with a proposition this morning .....

Ready?

£242.13 a month for 10 months :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Speve

Speve Funster

Ratings:
    +4,738
    Your export plates cover you third party anywhere in Europe so you could use them I received our V5C within two weeks of sending to DVLA was most impressed.

11. Bustup15

Bustup15 Funster

Ratings:
    +39
    Cheers - I misunderstood - thought the German plates only covered me till I got to border or port. Probably sh**ing myself till its in safe storage and plates arrive though!

12. Anesta

Anesta Funster

Ratings:
    +18
    Contacted AIB. Comfort won't touch it until it has UK reg.:mad:
    Caravan and camping sounds like good value (for them!) :ROFLMAO:

13. sallylillian

sallylillian Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +2,058
    With NFU they might only offer cover on the VIN for existing clients. So a solution will be to switch to them with your existing van. A positive preempt from you might oil the wheels!

14. Bustup15

Bustup15 Funster

Ratings:
    +39
    NFU UPDATE - confusing or what!
    Latest from local branch of NFU as quoted to them by their underwriters
    Full cover can be provided once vehicle hits the UK using VIN number for maximum 14 days to allow delivery to storage/garage but NOT for general road use
    No cover is provided in Europe as it is deemed a 'foreign unregistered vehicle' until V5 received

Now here is the contradictory bit - a vehicle imported on German transit plates - insurance cover provided on these plates will lapse as soon as the vehicle hits the UK and the vehicle will be demeed to be uninsured?
    This contradicts @Speve comment above - is there anything documented about provision and limits of cover the transit plates provide?

Cheers

15. Speve

Speve Funster

Ratings:
    +4,738
    I think they probably mean if you take their insurance in UK the German plates would be invalidated, unless someone knows differently ?

16. Speve

Speve Funster

Ratings:
    +4,738
    I’m pretty sure the insurance on the export plates expires when you send the yellow paperwork that comes with them to the DVLA when applying for UK registration to prove it was insured during export, as by this time you will have insurance on your VIN with UK insurer.
    We never had any problem when we did ours.

17. DBK

DBK Funster

Ratings:
    +27,761
    If you are collecting it next year just be careful if it is after 29 March. I'm sure things will get sorted but German purchased insurance may only cover the EU. It would be worth checking.

• Like it Like it x 1
  18. Bustup15

Bustup15 Funster

Ratings:
    +39
    I've decided its a black art!

Delivery will be after March so will just have to wait and see what the Br**it outcome is - something will get sorted no doubt but good or bad - who knows?

If as @Speve says it cover expires on return of paperwork that's fine, even if it expires on arrival at UK it seems to be covered by NFU but not any of the others that I have tried, so cover still availble. I still have a number of enquiries out with brokers so will update as they come back.

Perhaps the biggest concern looking at other threads is the same company seeming to tell different users different cover levels and areas of cover. Is that the users interpretation of what the company said, or the company or brokers interpretation of what they were told by their underwriters? Its a potential minefield if something goes wrong - getting it in writing would be my major aim, before an incident and not after.

19. Pugsy

Pugsy Funster

Ratings:
    +60
    Hi ,don,t know if this info is any good for you or not.
    I brought a Spanish plated and Spanish insured Renualt Kangoo back a couple of years ago when i returned to the UK.
    Youngs Insurance Broker in Grimsby (01472 358174) got me covered on a Highway policy (and i phoned loads with no joy) for the full duration to uk plates,which ended up taking 4 months and i drove the car around the whole time.
    They where fine about the time as long as i kept them updated.

Cheers Cris.:cheers:.

20. gus-lopez

gus-lopez Funster

Ratings:
    +27,034
    The cover expires at the date in the right hand red rectangle. The vehicle must have left Germany by then.
    The maximum period first off is 90 days ,EU wide..
    Cover is extendable but only in Germany & at an office not previously used.

http://germanexportplates.com/