Insurance costs post high value claim...... (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
Coolcats

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
A lot of people still 'plop' them down near the front door, same with handbags etc, we have a large central hallway and that's where our keys get put if we go out shopping etc so they'd need a ruddy long fishing rod, be able to open an internal door and then get inside the box they're in ... oh and get past 3 dogs too ... when we go away every thing gets well hidden.
All you can do is best efforts and it may be that a small safe which is hidden may help. Even our data storage is now in a secure box, it’s not impossible for it to be broken into but can’t just be a smash and grab.

if you have not done so consider installing a few Exterior camera’s and an alarm system ours is set for downstairs coverage every time we go to bed And whole House when we are away.

Apr 12, 2020
South Lincs....
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7095DF
Exp
20+ years. Previously Hymer B654 and Hymer S660 both c/w tow-bars.
Hello Folks, following a beak in to my home late last year I had a high value vehicle stollen, the insurance company has paid out and all was good.

What I am now finding is that Insurance costs have skyrocketed from around £380 to £3,045.00 for the MoHo despite it being armed to the teeth with Vanbitz Trackers physical security etc. AIB have said LV/Highway do not wish to renew the insurance as I had a claim in 2018 (no fault it was a dent in a car park ) and now out of their 30 underwriting companies only one will insure us.

So what to do, has anyone else had this experience if so which Broker have you used, and do you know what underwriter

Many thanks for your help
I’d check Caravanguard, https://www.caravanguard.co.uk/motorhome-insurance/.
After informing them of 2 claims in the last 12 months including a total write off (£20,000worth){not me! It was my wife, your honor!} They were £200 cheaper than anyone else, Less questions and then gave me a voluntary retrospective refund after updating my tracker! You also talk to real BRITISH folk on the phone.... that’s how insurance companies should be ! 👍😊

OP
OP
Coolcats

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
I’d check Caravanguard, https://www.caravanguard.co.uk/motorhome-insurance/.
After informing them of 2 claims in the last 12 months including a total write off (£20,000worth){not me! It was my wife, your honor!} They were £200 cheaper than anyone else, Less questions and then gave me a voluntary retrospective refund after updating my tracker! You also talk to real BRITISH folk on the phone.... that’s how insurance companies should be ! 👍😊
Will be doing the rounds on the market next year, not sure why you had British in bold all the agents I spoke with are UK based. I don’t care who I speak as long as they are human.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 12, 2020
South Lincs....
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7095DF
Exp
Will be doing the rounds on the market next year, not sure why you had British in bold all the agents I spoke with are UK based. I don’t care who I speak as long as they are human.
I can understand them! Well most of ‘em anyway! 👍😁

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
So new doors on the house and Garage new security systems cameras Etc (Costing thousands) so you can see why as a victim of crime I feel slightly peeved at such high insurance premiums ( I won’t be alone in this as any victim of crime will testify too)
I do understand totally, we've been burgled three times, first time they got in through some a 'glass louvre' type window that we had in a kitchen, they were able to get the sections of glass out and clamber in past the fridge freezer that was next to it, they then damaged the backdoor getting out as it was deadlocked, it cost us £700 to sort out the window/door as the insurance would only pay for basic repairs rather than replacement which we wanted as the window was still a 'risk', and we lost jewellery and some cash ... one of my hubby's rings turned up a bit later on my sister's finger given to her by her 'con' husband who supposedly hadn't done the crime but had a friend who lived not far from us ... hmmm.

Second one was here and they tried to get in the patio door but couldn't, then attacked a uPVC window and managed to get in that, just as they got into the lounge we came in the front door so they didn't get away with anything however at the time we thought they'd got my rings which we thought were in the lounge (we'd been out to a party the day before and I just took them off when we got in but didn't put them away). We needed a new Georgian effect patio door and diamond leaded effect window with top and bottom openers (the previous owners didn't bother matching them!) we got a payout to replace like with like however we weren't keen on having a Georgian patio door and didn't want a window with bottom openings again due to the security risk so we got just a single top opening one and a plain patio door. With the excess funds the installation company replaced a door with part of the old window (cut down to match an existing one) which turned a lobby into a bedroom. In effect, although it cost us more for insurance afterwards, we didn't have to fork out for the changes we wanted to make anyway! We did, however, spend on putting in an alarm system just to give us some security. Oh, I must mention that the jewellery turned up a year or two later when I was sorting out the bathroom cupboards for some reason they had been put in a box in there ...

Third one was our garage which was broken into by forcing the door and bending the side framework so the pins released, fortunately the car was unlocked so there was no damage done to get into it and they only got a couple of quid as we don't keep anything worth nicking in it. We fixed the framework, surrounds etc and bashed the dinted door back into shape, then made it even more secure so the b@ggers won't get in now without cutting a great big hole in the door! Never bothered claiming.

We also had a large claim when a group of idiots ran rampage through the village and decided our lovely old brick wall needed to have a lie down ... twice! They did a lot of damage in the village so it wasn't just us they picked on, but it cost £4,500 from memory, this was to have it all rebuilt and replace the concrete in the front yard with block paving as it cracked when they were re-doing the wall.

It always annoys me when people say that there are no 'victims' of these types of crime as the insurance pays out ... yes it does (hopefully!) but as you've found the victim still has higher premiums etc to pay as a consequence so are doubly victimised.

OP
OP
Coolcats

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
I do understand totally, we've been burgled three times, first time they got in through some a 'glass louvre' type window that we had in a kitchen, they were able to get the sections of glass out and clamber in past the fridge freezer that was next to it, they then damaged the backdoor getting out as it was deadlocked, it cost us £700 to sort out the window/door as the insurance would only pay for basic repairs rather than replacement which we wanted as the window was still a 'risk', and we lost jewellery and some cash ... one of my hubby's rings turned up a bit later on my sister's finger given to her by her 'con' husband who supposedly hadn't done the crime but had a friend who lived not far from us ... hmmm.

Second one was here and they tried to get in the patio door but couldn't, then attacked a uPVC window and managed to get in that, just as they got into the lounge we came in the front door so they didn't get away with anything however at the time we thought they'd got my rings which we thought were in the lounge (we'd been out to a party the day before and I just took them off when we got in but didn't put them away). We needed a new Georgian effect patio door and diamond leaded effect window with top and bottom openers (the previous owners didn't bother matching them!) we got a payout to replace like with like however we weren't keen on having a Georgian patio door and didn't want a window with bottom openings again due to the security risk so we got just a single top opening one and a plain patio door. With the excess funds the installation company replaced a door with part of the old window (cut down to match an existing one) which turned a lobby into a bedroom. In effect, although it cost us more for insurance afterwards, we didn't have to fork out for the changes we wanted to make anyway! We did, however, spend on putting in an alarm system just to give us some security. Oh, I must mention that the jewellery turned up a year or two later when I was sorting out the bathroom cupboards for some reason they had been put in a box in there ...

Third one was our garage which was broken into by forcing the door and bending the side framework so the pins released, fortunately the car was unlocked so there was no damage done to get into it and they only got a couple of quid as we don't keep anything worth nicking in it. We fixed the framework, surrounds etc and bashed the dinted door back into shape, then made it even more secure so the b@ggers won't get in now without cutting a great big hole in the door! Never bothered claiming.

We also had a large claim when a group of idiots ran rampage through the village and decided our lovely old brick wall needed to have a lie down ... twice! They did a lot of damage in the village so it wasn't just us they picked on, but it cost £4,500 from memory, this was to have it all rebuilt and replace the concrete in the front yard with block paving as it cracked when they were re-doing the wall.

It always annoys me when people say that there are no 'victims' of these types of crime as the insurance pays out ... yes it does (hopefully!) but as you've found the victim still has higher premiums etc to pay as a consequence so are doubly victimised.
Ouch so I guess we are lucky with the one burglary and agree there are no victimless crimes, one part of me wants to place a roman style curse on the offenders but the other more compassionate side wishes them well, as clearly they are not and must have awful lives (the well wishing is hoping they get better from the afflictions that are causing them to commit crimes)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 12, 2020
South Lincs....
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7095DF
Exp

And I thought Lincolnshire was risky! 🤣😂

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back