insurance company won't renew (1 Viewer)

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
42yearscaravanning&motorhoming
I have just had a call from an insurance company, she is ringing back next week, I have a permanent address at my fathers, all my vehicles and licence is now registered at that address, I asked if Motorhome is stored away from home would it be a problem, she had a quick look on application as I had put it on there, she said it’s not a problem.
I would give Comfort ins. a try they rarely refuse to insure unless there is an actual problem.

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
We insured Gobby the Gobur Folding Caravan through CaravanGuard on purchase in 2018, but received a Renewal Refusal Letter just before the policy expired. The Underwriters deemed the Postcode of the Secure Storage as too high a risk, because the Caravan/Motorhome Dealer just under 1 mile up the road had had a couple of motorhomes stolen from their 'open gates' Storage [anyone can wander in during the Caravan Sales Opening Hours, and no-one challenges you!].

This wasn't a 'Refusal to Insure', but a Declination to Assume Risk by the Underwriters. I phoned C&CC, and explained the Risk Refusal to the Insurance Staff; 2 minutes on hold whilst they spoke to their Underwriters, and Cover provided without any special conditions, especially since our Secure Storage had removed the Pressure Pad automatic exit facility after the motorhome thefts referred to above. Once we're inside the Storage, we have to phone a dedicated mobile number from our registered mobile to open the Access Gates.

Steve

Clipgate

Free Member
Jan 1, 2014
Folkestone
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Local farm stored caravans in locked field area, needed to pass through the yard with camera etc.
One later evening 4x4 came and removed two caravans, not sure now but on consecutive nights I think.
Try getting insurance there now!
For that matter a driveway is just the same risk.
However Algorithms are written by individual underwriters.
It's not exact science, a bit like people say! What a lovely insurance company, well wait until you claim before making that statement.
It's business not a pleasure for them. Pays your money make your choice

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Local farm stored caravans in locked field area, needed to pass through the yard with camera etc.
One later evening 4x4 came and removed two caravans, not sure now but on consecutive nights I think.
Try getting insurance there now!
For that matter a driveway is just the same risk.
However Algorithms are written by individual underwriters.
It's not exact science, a bit like people say! What a lovely insurance company, well wait until you claim before making that statement.
It's business not a pleasure for them. Pays your money make your choice
LV quoted a higher premium for us using the secure storage facility than having Brunhilde parked on street on the A921 main road! Bizarre!

Steve & Elaine

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Thanks everyone for this thread...

I constantly need to be reminded why I hate insurance companies.

JJ :cool:
Imagine a Motorhome Fun Rally at which eligibility was confined to Insurance Staff, Estate Agents, Solicitors, Accountants and Actuaries ... Is it still true that Actuaries are Accountants that couldn't stand the feverish excitement? :oops:

Can't remember whether it's Actuaries or Accountants who visit the battlefield upon the cessation of fighting and bayonet the survivors ...

Steve

May 3, 2016
Ayrshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki
I have been too honest with them, I will ring axa direct and speak to them when I have a reply from broker or insurance company, it’s got me really worried though, happy to take my money but not helpful when needed, thanks for replies 👍
I'm sure you will get it sorted.
Sorry about the break down in your relationship and hope things move on & improve for you.

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
Insurance companies have different models for risk assessment and only insure risks that fit their model. When I first took out insurance for my motorbike I had to call a broker as my bike was not listed on comparison sites, he went through the quotes and then I asked him if I joined a club would it help, he said it may, so while still on the phone I joined a bike forum, he added that to the quote and the price went down by £50. I asked how that could make so much difference he told me that now some companies which had not quoted in the first search were offering a quote now, and they were cheaper.

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Insurance companies have different models for risk assessment and only insure risks that fit their model. When I first took out insurance for my motorbike I had to call a broker as my bike was not listed on comparison sites, he went through the quotes and then I asked him if I joined a club would it help, he said it may, so while still on the phone I joined a bike forum, he added that to the quote and the price went down by £50. I asked how that could make so much difference he told me that now some companies which had not quoted in the first search were offering a quote now, and they were cheaper.
Join a Forum or Club = 'Care about your Vehicle. more likely to sort out problems, maintenance more likely to be carried out for your pride and joy', so reduced risk of claims and/or smaller claims when they are made. And the insurers close examination of the circumstances behind a claim are another chapter in the eternal saga of 'But you said I was covered ...'!

Steve

Jun 5, 2020
New Forest, United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-I 414
Exp
4 years, travelling to Greece each year and exploring on the way and back
I rang insurance company (Lifesure) today to let them know a change of address for my motorhome storage, as its not going to be at my home address and I also work away a few days a week and have use of a caravan whilst away before returning home, they told me that insurance company would not cover me at all (AXA), I have been on comparison site and got some quotes online giving my home address and address of where motorhome will be stored. Has anyone else had this problem? And should it be a problem that I work away? Lifesure have been really good for the last 4 years but this seems ridiculous to say they will withdraw insurance because I work away and not at my home address, any ideas or recommendations, thanks Dave
The issue is possibly related to the fact that you are living in a caravan and not in a 'fixed'abode. Insurers get twitchy about that for a number of reasons. In terms of your concerns re refusal of insurance, it should not be an issue as it would appear that you no longer fit the underwriting criteria for that insurer so that they are not prepared to offer a renewal. Refusal of insurance which most underwriters are interested in normally relate to insurance withdrawn due to dodgy behaviour on the part of a customer in some way, like an iffy claim, or other circumstances which would make an underwriter consider the customer a wrong'un.

Jun 5, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-I 414
Exp
Is that totally true though? We were declined cover when we first needed to take out insurance after buying our Carthago due to the value of it, so the declining was due to their simply not providing policies for it.

I suspect that the 'decline' issue is more down to the person themselves having a bad history rather than the location etc of the vehicle. Are there any insurance brokers (current or ex) on the forum who could advise?

Might be worth giving these a ring and asking:

Yes, retired head of business retention for a large insurer, for my sins.
You are absolutely correct. A decline to provide a quote or renewal because the risk does not fit the underwriting critetia or risk appetite is not an issue . They are more interested in customers with a bad risk history or who have exhibited some dodgy behaviours in the term of their policy.

Jun 5, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-I 414
Exp
I have just had a call from an insurance company, she is ringing back next week, I have a permanent address at my fathers, all my vehicles and licence is now registered at that address, I asked if Motorhome is stored away from home would it be a problem, she had a quick look on application as I had put it on there, she said it’s not a problem.
Yup, it was almost certainly the uncertainty around your permanent address which was the issue.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
My van is parked in a private car park at the rear of a block of 8 apartments . I had quite a few insurance companies refuse insurance due to the fact that it is not locked and the public can get access and so classed as parked on the road. I have taken a 3 year deal with Saga who did insure and classed at parked on road at home address . Incidentally i mentioned that a solar panel had been fitted and the cost went up £40.
Same parking as you,,No problem with Caravanguard..BUSBY.

Aug 19, 2007
Stockport
Funster No
MH
Tribute 615T sport
Exp
17 years + since 2006
Same parking as you,,No problem with Caravanguard..BUSBY.
was with safeguard but their quote was £750, Caravanguard wouldn't quote me when i rang and explained where i park. Saga near £200 cheaper.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back