Insurance and EU recovery - DAS? (1 Viewer)

Jun 24, 2019
Shrewsbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer 504i A Class
Exp
Since 2016 & 20+ shed dragger
Renewal time again and have been using NFU and ADAC to provide EU cover and recovery. NFU seem to have increased their premiums and never did EU recovery, hence used ADAC. With ADAC no longer an option I am starting from scratch.

Have had one quote from AIB (which gave me MHF discount :xThumb:) and recovery via DAS. Quote (Aviva) was reasonable but I know nothing about how good DAS are. I have read their statements on the web but a little put off by their saying they will transport the MH to a "suitable" garage - totally their decision. Having heard some horror stories (from people I know) about being taken to a garage in the back of beyond and being quoted silly money to fix with no real comeback once back in the UK, I am somewhat wary.

Anyone have any experiences of DAS?
Thought on Aviva?
Anyone know of better recovery policies? - I was very happy with what ADAC provided, not that I had to use them.

Thanks

Edit.. MH 6.2m and 3500kg

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2020
Chester
Funster No
MH
Van conversion.
Exp
I can't comment on Aviva or ADAC because we use a NatWest premium bank accounts (other banks have similar offerings) which charge a hefty monthly fee but this includes travel insurance, car breakdown insurance and home emergency insurance (and a couple of other things). Still (just) makes sense for me. They cover
  • Any vehicle you travel in, as long as it meets the requirements shown below:
    • It’s a car, light van or motorbike.
    • It’s privately registered in the UK.
    • It must not contain more people than the manual recommends. And never more than nine including the driver.
    • It can’t weigh more than 3,500 kg. This includes any load.
    • It can’t be more than 7 metres long (apart from a tow bar or coupling device), 3 metres tall or 2.55 metres wide."
So I think that includes our PVC (< 3.5T). They use Green Flag for the recovery (If Green Flag can't get your vehicle going, they'll take you and your vehicle to a destination of your choice or a suitable repairer.). Been happy with them when I've had issues with my car (none so far with the van).

Dec 17, 2018
Bonny Scotland
Funster No
MH
2020 Pilote P650GJ
Exp
Since 2005
We had to call ADAC a few years ago in southern France and they were faultless.
Picked up our 3.5 ton moho and took it to a good garage then transported us plus 2 scruffy hounds to a pet friendly hotel which they'd booked us into. We received daily calls regarding the mechanical repairs.
Sadly they're not interested in non-German business now but, similar to Markman, we have FlexiPlus account with Nationwide and get near identical cover to his for 13 quid a month. Europe wide. The breakdown is applicable to whatever we're travelling in, owned or otherwise.
We've not put it to the test and hope never to need it, but it's nice to know it's there.
As an aside - our moho is new and we chose an insurer (Comfort, as recommended in this forum) that did not insist on a Tracker, "merely" a Thatcham Cat5 alarm. Trackers drain batteries and you can't switch 'em off. There's a topic....

OP
OP
TeamBandS
Jun 24, 2019
Shrewsbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer 504i A Class
Exp
Since 2016 & 20+ shed dragger
Thanks for all the replies, I'll give Mr Flux a call tomorrow and see what my local brokers can come up with.

My biggest fear is being dumped at some garage and being at their mercy and having no real prospect of having any redress on them if the "fix" proves be a bad one - transporting the MH back to France or Spain and the fighting a garage to put right what they have done........ may be I worry to much.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
C-MC.. Red Pennant. ? Had their cover early days of c/vanning. Never had to use them. A mate ,Brian, used them and when he fell ill,about 6 years ago,they were faultless.
I do NOT know the prices,but if you need a backstop there are worse outfits to belong to , give them a ring,then you can make your minds up, its money = peace of mind..........
Tea Bag.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back