lee52

Free Member
Oct 13, 2013
tyne and wear
Funster No
MH
selfbuild
Exp
is it that important to have the floor of my mh insulated it is a wood floor anyways

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
that all depends how you use or plan to use your van. in temperatures from -2 to plus 30 you wont get the benefit of heat insulation

however the sound deadening properties of insulating the steel floor of a panel van may make it worthwhile. I have converted several vans over the years and only insulated the floor in the last 2. mind you, I also switched from fibreglass wool to celotex type insulation in the walls and roof too. much better, but i doubt the floor had much of a benefit overall

OP
OP
L

lee52

Free Member
Oct 13, 2013
tyne and wear
Funster No
MH
selfbuild
Exp
that all depends how you use or plan to use your van. in temperatures from -2 to plus 30 you wont get the benefit of heat insulation

however the sound deadening properties of insulating the steel floor of a panel van may make it worthwhile. I have converted several vans over the years and only insulated the floor in the last 2. mind you, I also switched from fibreglass wool to celotex type insulation in the walls and roof too. much better, but i doubt the floor had much of a benefit overall

its a selfbuild ex bus so has a 3/4in wood anyways then on top of that theres a 1 1/2 in of insulation and then nasty laminate floor just seems a vast ovekill and the floor is 3 foot in the air so i was thinking surely the standard 3/4 in wood floor with some nice lino/carpet would be more than enough

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
is it that important to have the floor of my mh insulated it is a wood floor anyways

Basically, no. Heat rises.

Wood is quite insulating anyway, so won't get too cold in itself. If you want to spend money on insulation, you'd be better off insulating the ceiling.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
if its still serviceable, theres no point ripping it out. however you wont miss it too much if you do unless you plan camping in the snow

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
if its still serviceable, theres no point ripping it out. however you wont miss it too much if you do unless you plan camping in the snow

Snow is actually quite a good insulator. It is cold winds you have to worry about. If you've got a goodly ground clearance, a good wind and a completely non insulated metal floor, it is probably the only time you'll need decent floor insulation.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
L

lee52

Free Member
Oct 13, 2013
tyne and wear
Funster No
MH
selfbuild
Exp
thanks for the replies guys i was thinking the wood is a good insulator and the rest of the van is fully insulated basically i am ripping up the laminate flooring as its knackered badly fitted etc.. and just dead weight with the insulation gone i will gain nearly 2 in of head height. and gonna cover the existing wood flooring with lino in the livin/kitchen area carpet in the end bedroom and cab area

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back