Insulating external Truma blown air piping (1 Viewer)

Jul 11, 2016
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Ixeo TL680g
Exp
returnee
I am wonder what peoples opinion on whether it is worth insulating the external pipes for the Truma blown air heating. For those of us without a double floor there seems to be quite a lot pipework exposed below the van that must loose a heck of lot of heat. Webasto produces a product called Thermoduct which looks useful but before spending time and money I wondered what opinions and experiences anyone might have to share on this topic.

Regards

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
I did try wrapping insulation around the exposed pipes but it was a bit of a faff and only lasted a season before it fell off. I quite like the idea of spraying expanded foam on it though.

To be fair we rarely go anywhere we need a lot of heat from the blown air system so IMO spending very much is not really worth it. However if you're into winter skiing trips it would be useful methinks.

We go away in the winter, but only to places that are WARM!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
I would prefer something that you can take off, to inspect etc so not sure about the foam
Sheeps wool or what about an insulated enclosure(plastic with insulation inside)

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Put them inside the next size up pipe with insulation between the two. Or wrap them with the aluminised bubble wrap stuff.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
I used Armaflex pipe insulation to lag the external heating pipe run to our bathroom, and used builders stainless steel strapping to hold it in position to the underside of the van floor.
The bathroom heats up a treat now.

https://www.pipelagging.com/pipe-in...ulation-lagging-black-nitrile-foam-class-o-2m

1568573943303.png

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Mark McG
Jul 11, 2016
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Ixeo TL680g
Exp
returnee
Thanks for the info. Will investigate the pipe size and amount required and experiment with a couple of pieces of armaflex.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back