Instant Pot use in the Motorhome. (1 Viewer)

Kelso

Free Member
Sep 19, 2013
Whitchurch, Hants
Funster No
MH
McLouis
Exp
10 years
We bought a instant pot, and only used it once could not get on with it. Bought a halogen cooker, and have never looked back. A third of the price, and cooks brilliantly.

OP
OP
jumar

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
We bought a instant pot, and only used it once could not get on with it. Bought a halogen cooker, and have never looked back. A third of the price, and cooks brilliantly.

WE love ours for home usage......this year it will be in the motorhome to use on days when the cadac cannot be used..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 13, 2019
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Ci Coachbuilt
Exp
Since September 2018
Why do I bother...:LOL:.......an Instant Pot is a 220v cooking appliance, its a Slow cooker/Pressure cooker....
Not something you SMOKE....I am sure someone on here might have used one.....well I hope so....in the meantime lets have a laugh together...(y):cool::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
We use ours on EHU as don't have an inverter .
Set up in the morning and by evening a lovely full meal .
And the van did not get full of condensation either!

Apr 13, 2019
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Ci Coachbuilt
Exp
Since September 2018
We use ours on EHU as don't have an inverter .
Set up in the morning and by evening a lovely full meal .
And the van did not get full of condensation either!
[/QUOT
Sorry, ours is just a slow cooker, no pressure involved, I think.
Sorry, but it's not my department.
I'm in charge of fundraising!

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
We have two - one for the house and one for the van. We always use ours when on hook-up though.

I wouldn't be without it but I also have a slow cooker in the van as I find the instant pot gets too hot for slow cooking - plus my slow cooker can be used on the inverter without taking too much umph from the battery.

Apr 13, 2019
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Ci Coachbuilt
Exp
Since September 2018
We have two - one for the house and one for the van. We always use ours when on hook-up though.

I wouldn't be without it but I also have a slow cooker in the van as I find the instant pot gets too hot for slow cooking - plus my slow cooker can be used on the inverter without taking too much umph from the battery.
Interesting this. May I ask if you run 2 leisure batteries or 1, and or do you have solar panels.
Am considering a second battery and/ or solar panel and then can try an inverter, and then, off to the woods with not a care about EHU.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Interesting this. May I ask if you run 2 leisure batteries or 1, and or do you have solar panels.
Am considering a second battery and/ or solar panel and then can try an inverter, and then, off to the woods with not a care about EHU.

We have one battery - 135 AH and a 100w solar panel. The small slow cooker (NOT the instant pot) draws a max of 90w and I warm it up with hot water before I cook in it. The inverter was a cheapie from Lidl and is either 150w or 200w (can't remember which). I check the battery status before, during and after using the slow cooker and the amount it uses after initial warm up is minimal. We have to be careful about battery use as we use medical equipment overnight and permanently fitting an additional battery would be a hassle. We do carry a spare (90 AH I think) leisure battery and solar trickle charger "just in case" but rarely use it in the van.

I also sometimes put the slow cooker in the sink (water pump off just in case) and run it from the inverter when we are traveling. The only issue with that is that the smells make you starving long before you arrive at your destination!

I don't have an oven in the van but with the slow cooker, instant pot and (mains) microwave I don't miss it.

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2019
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Ci Coachbuilt
Exp
Since September 2018
We have one battery - 135 AH and a 100w solar panel. The small slow cooker (NOT the instant pot) draws a max of 90w and I warm it up with hot water before I cook in it. The inverter was a cheapie from Lidl and is either 150w or 200w (can't remember which). I check the battery status before, during and after using the slow cooker and the amount it uses after initial warm up is minimal. We have to be careful about battery use as we use medical equipment overnight and permanently fitting an additional battery would be a hassle. We do carry a spare (90 AH I think) leisure battery and solar trickle charger "just in case" but rarely use it in the van.

I also sometimes put the slow cooker in the sink (water pump off just in case) and run it from the inverter when we are traveling. The only issue with that is that the smells make you starving long before you arrive at your destination!

I don't have an oven in the van but with the slow cooker, instant pot and (mains) microwave I don't miss it.
We are the same as you.
Low wattage microwave and slow cooker. No fitted second battery, so like the idea of a spare back up.Would need to upgrade current leisure battery from 85amh, but that's no big deal and then use that as the spare.
May I again ask if your solar panel is a permanent fixture or a portable type non- fixed?
And do you know the makes of the inverter and solar panels.
This idea has got me really keen and your tips on use have been brilliant.
You may probably conclude that we are still a bit "green" on this motorhome thingy, but loving to learn from someone with more experience.
Thanks for the tips

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
We are the same as you.
Low wattage microwave and slow cooker. No fitted second battery, so like the idea of a spare back up.Would need to upgrade current leisure battery from 85amh, but that's no big deal and then use that as the spare.
May I again ask if your solar panel is a permanent fixture or a portable type non- fixed?
And do you know the makes of the inverter and solar panels.
This idea has got me really keen and your tips on use have been brilliant.
You may probably conclude that we are still a bit "green" on this motorhome thingy, but loving to learn from someone with more experience.
Thanks for the tips

I only use the microwave on hook up as it is a 240v (mains) model and I don't have a huge inverter :)

The solar panel is a permanent fixture on the van roof and came as part of the "extras" package when we bought the van. Sorry but I have no idea of the make. There is probably enough space to put a second panel up there if we ever wanted to.

The inverter is not fixed, just a cheap Lidl model (Silvercrest?) that I bought years ago when they were in stock. It's about half as high as an ebike battery and roughly a square base. Nothing fancy and I think it cost less than ÂŁ30.

The mini panel that we sometimes use for the spare battery is one of the portable types that people put on the dash to keep car batteries topped up. It came in a box of junk we bought for ÂŁ5 at a local auction. I'm not convinced it does that much to be honest but I'd rather have it than not.

If you would like photos I can do that later once I have the energy to go out to the van.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Can I throw in the Remoska?
Throw it my way please! :giggle:

Brilliant bit of kit but very expensive for what they are. We have 2 now, both the 2L versions, the older one with the glass lid and the one without. The older is kept as a backup as hubby uses the newer one a lot and he'd be devastated if it stops working and he hasn't got one to play with!

Apr 13, 2019
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Ci Coachbuilt
Exp
Since September 2018
I only use the microwave on hook up as it is a 240v (mains) model and I don't have a huge inverter :)

The solar panel is a permanent fixture on the van roof and came as part of the "extras" package when we bought the van. Sorry but I have no idea of the make. There is probably enough space to put a second panel up there if we ever wanted to.

The inverter is not fixed, just a cheap Lidl model (Silvercrest?) that I bought years ago when they were in stock. It's about half as high as an ebike battery and roughly a square base. Nothing fancy and I think it cost less than ÂŁ30.

The mini panel that we sometimes use for the spare battery is one of the portable types that people put on the dash to keep car batteries topped up. It came in a box of junk we bought for ÂŁ5 at a local auction. I'm not convinced it does that much to be honest but I'd rather have it than not.

If you would like photos I can do that later once I have the energy to go out to the van.
Thanks for the info. No need for photos but greatly appreciate your set up and has given me some ideas.
Time for a play I think , after fully doing my van spec research.
Cheers

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Thanks for the info. No need for photos but greatly appreciate your set up and has given me some ideas.
Time for a play I think , after fully doing my van spec research.
Cheers

I took the view that the less that we have fitted permanently the better so we can take it with us if we change the van. I am also very careful about how much power every appliance takes .......... because there is just two of us in the van a small slow cooker works for us. The one I have in the van was from Argos, the one I have in the house was from Curry's and is 120w.

Once we are all free to travel again we'll meet up in a field somewhere.

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
42yearscaravanning&motorhoming
having never heard of one of these thingamebobs before, have just been googling, actually they sound like a useful bit of kit for a small kitchen at home or in the van of course, keeps clutter down. (y)
i love one pot cooking, thank you jumar, could be making my life a bit easier..

No good if you like wildcamping or off grid I don't like the idea of hammering my batteries with a biggish inverter, I use a gas hob pressure one in the house and a smaller one in van, wouldn't be without one.

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
42yearscaravanning&motorhoming
Would be without a normal pressure cooker at home or away, we do cook chickens in ours and they come out lovely and moist, no crispy skin but that can be easily remedies by taking it off and sticking it in the frying pan if you're desperate! Of course the advantage of pressure cooking it is that you then get the lovely juice from the chicken to make gravy with ... mmmmmmm.
Quite agree, pressure cooker every time, I haven't cooked a whole chicken in it tho, I usually cook a whole chicken and any other joint in our double skillet, the larger one but that is losing its non stick property now, would love to replace it but the only one available is too small for larger chickens and joints etc.

Mike L

Free Member
Jun 5, 2019
Weymouth in Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
We have an Instant pot mini for when we are away in the van . Just the right size for the two of us . Main meals we cook in it are spag bol , paella , and stew . Only the one pot to clean along with two plates and two forks . We wouldn’t be without it .

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Quite agree, pressure cooker every time, I haven't cooked a whole chicken in it tho, I usually cook a whole chicken and any other joint in our double skillet, the larger one but that is losing its non stick property now, would love to replace it but the only one available is too small for larger chickens and joints etc.
Keep and eye on Ebay, 2 larger ones 'double skillets' were sold recently.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back