Installing Refillable LPG bottles in a Hymer B644 (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
The gas locker is at the front below the passenger window (will post pics later) and as far as I can determine there is no place to fit an external fill point, my preference..

The locker door hinges up.. complete with the plastic skirt.. so fitting there is not an option and there is no spare space at the side of the locker to fit on the body..I've concluded the only option is an internal fill point..not ideal.. but needs must.

If you have fitted on a Hymer with the same locker, (I think they are all much the same up to around 2006 ).. would be grateful for an picture of the installation.. in particular where you fitted the fill point, and what kit you used, I think it can hold 2 x 11kg bottles.

thanks

Last edited:

ASel

Free Member
Oct 23, 2013
Gretna
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I see no reason why the fill point cant be in the door.
Weather it opens sideways or vertically should not affect it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Isn't there a piece of skirt between the gas locker door and the belly locker?

no Andy.. the whole skirt lifts up with the door..

DSCF1298.JPG
DSCF1299.JPG
DSCF1300.JPG
DSCF1301.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I see no reason why the fill point cant be in the door.
Weather it opens sideways or vertically should not affect it.

possibly an option.. but I've never liked the idea of a high pressure hose being continually flexed and also possibly being kinked and or damaged when opening/closing the locker.. so would rather fit inside..

Attachments

• DSCF1298.JPG
    DSCF1298.JPG
    92.9 KB · Views: 27
  • DSCF1299.JPG
    DSCF1299.JPG
    51.8 KB · Views: 26
  • DSCF1300.JPG
    DSCF1300.JPG
    149.9 KB · Views: 26
  • DSCF1301.JPG
    DSCF1301.JPG
    205.4 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Jun 11, 2011
Somerset
Funster No
MH
hymer s820
Exp
hya i have two large gaslow bottles fitted to my hymer i put the refill point on floor between bottles so to get to it lift up locker door drop flap its there nice and clean the gaslow kit came with right bracket easy to drill and bolt to floor

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
hya i have two large gaslow bottles fitted to my hymer i put the refill point on floor between bottles so to get to it lift up locker door drop flap its there nice and clean the gaslow kit came with right bracket easy to drill and bolt to floor

thanks.. that is what I had concluded was the best way..
I don't like the idea of a gas hose and HP connection inside the habitation..

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Jim mine is identical and the external filler is fitted under the orange reflector on the skirt. Been there 4 years now and works perfect.
Sorry cant take pic at moment.

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I fitted mine in the small triangle between gas locker and front wheel arch. I used the smaller fill point as used on cars,LPG / Autogas JIC Straight Low Profile Fill Point - Flush Filler PointBroken Link Removed
I will post pictures later.
Also you don't need to cut a big hole.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Jim put a bracket screwed/bolted to the side of the top of bottles and fit filler to that -Open door and filler is right in front of you
terry

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Jim,

Athough not Gaslow refillable cylinders, my bulk tank refilling point (square brass bracket with back plate) is positioned in the aluminium skirt, adjacent to the the tank. I have seen the round Gaslow filler connection in the same place on other Hymers.

Cheers,

Jock.

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
image.jpg Jim, I have a 2007 B544SL and the gas bottle layout seems similar to yours. The skirt is in aluminium and did flex a bit when the nozzle was connected so I stuck with Sikaflex aluminium angle to the inside of the skirt and wall of adjacent locker with another piece attached by bolts from one side to the other which formed a very rigid structure.

Mike

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
View attachment 59110 Jim, I have a 2007 B544SL and the gas bottle layout seems similar to yours. The skirt is in aluminium and did flex a bit when the nozzle was connected so I stuck with Sikaflex aluminium angle to the inside of the skirt and wall of adjacent locker with another piece attached by bolts from one side to the other which formed a very rigid structure.

Mike

Thats the same place as mine seen lots of Hymers with the filler there seems to be the most common location.

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
I've just had mine fitted and we concluded that the only place we could fit it was in the door itself as I don't have the large skirt as per the Hymer.

If you fitted yours close to the hinge that would offer plenty of support and of course once fitted there really should be less need to open the door.

Door mount.jpg

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
We have just had Gaslow fitted and a hole for the filler cut in the skirt (thanks again @Techno100 Andy) we have a slightly newer Hymer (08) but what I think will be a very similar skirt, Andy was surprised at how thick it was and it had a reinforcing rib (quite small) running up and down

We discounted the small piece by the wheel as this was flimsy, but put ours on the same panel where your reflector is, actually haven't filled yet, but it feels very firm (y)

There was even room on ours to run the fill hose between skirt and gas locker without needing another hole drilling

Aug 15, 2014
Exiled in Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote 600L
Exp
Since 2006
Mine is also fitted below the reflector and although it appears flimsy and should maybe have some reinforced backing I haven't done anything about it yet.
I took it off my previous van and that was also not reinforced. Also, if you remove the carrying handles from the top it gives you more space there, my 584 has two 11 kg cylinders in there.
Hope this helps.

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
As for fitting in the door a disaster waiting to happen as far as I'm concerned an absolute no, no.

Perhaps you could enlighten us as to this disaster waiting to happen that many professional installers seem to advocate including van Bitz

Printermick

Free Member
Dec 13, 2013
peterborough
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
just started
Hi

My filler is fitted on the lift up door, can take pics tomorrow if it helps. Has been fitted for 8 or 9 years now and is still fine.

There is a long flexible hose that has to fit between the bottles on closing the door. I would prefer Manic's style of fitting if you can manage it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back