Installing Refillable LPG bottles in a Hymer B644 (1 Viewer)

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
As the R67 requirement seems to apply only to vehicles which use the gas for propulsion NOT domestic purposes, I'm not convinced there really IS a need to go to the extent of getting these more expensive R67 bottles?

I'd go for Gasit which I understand are the same as the original Gaslow bottles.
Yes you are right Mel but Hamiltons price is not a lot more than the old bottles. They are normally sold around £200 EDIT Gasit 11kg £139 delivered or Hamilton R67 £149.99 delivered

The Gaslow R67 11kg Refillable Cylinder 1 is especially designed to meet the French R67 Gas Tank Standards. Gaslow have always held the view that the Gaslow Bottles are considered as "Cylinders" and therefore they are manfacturered to the cylinder standard EN1442:2006. Gaslow were not just alone as the UK LPGA also believed the same.

The French however, believe that refillables should be classified as tanks and that we should produce to the tank standard R67. This regulation applies to specific equipment of vehicles of category M and N1 using liquefied petroleum gases in their propulsion system.

For complete safety, the European Pi approved filler valves automatically shut off the gas when 80% capacity is reached - preventing dangerous overfilling.

• Multivalve with improved, mechanically accurate contents gauge.
  • Excess flow valve prevents full flow of gas if the hose ruptures.
  • Internal filter.
  • Over pressure safety device.
  • 10 year warranty (specified by the R67 standard).
  • 11kg size tested and approved to R67 standard.

Last edited:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
View attachment 59164
These adaptors screw into the small square type filler, under the flap is threaded to accept the adaptors in the photo,the one on the right is used in the UK and the middle one is used in France.
Ah ... you haven't got a Spanish one though have you! :D

We found out that in Spain we needed to use one of ours (the left hand one in your photo) and then the fuel stations put one of theirs onto it in order for us to fill up, obviously it means we had to keep borrowing one. We decided to get a specific one for Spain and hubby has just got one of these off the internet which means that we don't have to use our and the fuel station's adaptors together, just this one on it's own.

Broken Link Removed

Spanish filler.JPG

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
some garages will not allow filling with an internal connection. See earlier threads
Not seen that thread so I'll have to hunt it out, but we've NEVER been refused and we've had a refillable with an in-locker filler since 2009 and have so far put in nearly 300 litres in that time and tend to keep the bottle topped up so probably fill it more than most. We usually find, especially broad, that they offer to fill it for us anyway.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
After much debate with myself and consideration have just ordered 2 x Gaslow R67 11kg bottles with fitting kit , Auto change over + continental adapters.. going to fit fill point in skirt ..

will post some pics when finished fitting .. :)

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
some garages will not allow filling with an internal connection. See earlier threads
We also have never had a problem and have filled up many, many times both here and abroad over the last five years using our in-locker filler.
If any jobsworth does make a fuss, there are usually plenty of other LPG places to fill up where the attendant won't give a toss.

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Hi Jim

This was our shopping list from Gas-it that enabled us to put the filler in the skirt next to the gas locker.
Item Quantity Cost
4 Hole - 27 tr (11kg) GAS IT Plus Refillable Gas Bottle
2 £233.32
GAS IT 2nd bottle Add on Kit
1 £22.69
JIC Bulkhead Connector
1 £3.89
JIC Straight Fill point & 70mm fill box Kit with Fill hose option
1 £35.71
Gas bottle butane gas outlet to UK POL ( propane) adaptors
2 £13.54
90 deg JIC M/F ELBOW
1 £5.85
0.5 mtr GAS IT Fast Fill hose
1 £12.51
Shipping: (Free GAS IT Delivery for orders over £45.00) £0.00
Discount: £0.00
Subtotal: £327.51
20% VAT: (20%) £65.50
Order Total: £393.01
image.jpg
image.jpg

Feb 5, 2009
South Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 in MH, 15 in Caravan
when filling you need to turn off your gas bottles...
but they should ALL turn the bottles off when filling ...

Sorry... Just want to double check...

When filling up at a garage, the procedure is to open the locker, turn off the bottle(s), fill up, open the locker, turn the bottle(s) on again

I ask as I don't have refillables yet and have only seen the lpg fill up videos on cars.

I'm just thinking about buying the GasIt Plus 4 hole cylinders, so as these have the Securemotion type functionality, is the bottle closing still necessary?

Also, the bottle turning off/on thing is particularly of interest to me, as just like Jim, I'm struggling with the internal/external filler question, and if I have to open the locker to turn off bottles, then I might as well fill up whilst I'm there...

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Sorry... Just want to double check...

When filling up at a garage, the procedure is to open the locker, turn off the bottle(s), fill up, open the locker, turn the bottle(s) on again
Not strictly necessary to turn off bottle but advisable, fill pressure is around 140 psi, Truma regulator has a limit of 230 psi.

I'm just thinking about buying the GasIt Plus 4 hole cylinders, so as these have the Securemotion type functionality, is the bottle closing still necessary?
The only difference with the 4hole Gas-it bottle is that it has a accurate level gauge and can be fitted with a remote gauge. Securemotion is a Truma regulator that allows gas to be used on the move and must be used with the rupture protection hoses.
The Gaslow R67 cylinder has built in rupture protection.

Also, the bottle turning off/on thing is particularly of interest to me, as just like Jim, I'm struggling with the internal/external filler question, and if I have to open the locker to turn off bottles, then I might as well fill up whilst I'm there...
If you don't have the securemotion setup you should be turning the gas off before traveling. If you do have it just turn the gas off before you set off to fill up, avoids the slight chance of being refused a fill up.

Feb 5, 2009
South Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 in MH, 15 in Caravan
Sorry Lenny, should have said rupture protection/excess flow not secumotion...

The gasit plus bottles have this rupture protection, so does this help or hinder bottle turning on/off when filling?

As I say, if I'm opening the locker for bottle on/off then there seems little point in an external filler and its hole in the body or skirt..
Cheers
Steve
p's. I don't have a truma regulator, I have a cavagna autochangeover one

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
p's. I don't have a truma regulator, I have a cavagna autochangeover one
In that case you should be travelling with the gas turned off and it would be illegal to travel with any gas appliances working as the regulator does not have the crash protection auto cut of like the Truma.
Using your logic it would be easier to fill with an external filler as you would not need to open the locker.

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
@lennyhb By the way the 4 hole gas it bottles do not just have a more accurate gauge they have the following safty feature, which kind of negates the need to turn the gas off.

GAS IT Plus bottles are fitted with 4 separate valves and many safety features not seen in other brands like Gaslow or Safefill in the UK which makes these GAS IT Plus bottles unique in many ways.

The outlet is fitted with a full excess flow valve meaning the tank will shut off automatically if a pigtail was ever to burst (unique to GAS IT Plus bottles). Inside the tank there is a full liquid Phase separator© which stops any liquid from leaving the bottle and full size large flow pressure relief valve

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I did say it was OK if you have rupture protection doesn't matter if it's in the hose outlet or the bottle, I wasn't aware of the feature on gas-it bottles they don't exactly published it.
It is illegal to run gas appliances in leisure vehicles unless they have Securemotion or similar regulator, cars come under a different set of rules and have their own safety devices built in.

Feb 5, 2009
South Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 in MH, 15 in Caravan
Just wanted to thank everyone (and specifically @lennyhb @Techno100) for their help with advice for choosing a refillable system and the internal/external filler issue.

In the end I went with a single 11kg aluminium bottle with the rupture protection and an external skirt mounted filler.

I fitted the lot in a couple of hours last weekend but didn't get to fill up and use it till this weekend.

I was so impressed at the ease and convenience, I'm already thinking of a second bottle and remote gauges !!!!

As I said, thanks for all the help...

Andy

Free Member
May 25, 2014
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
I'm guessing that my 644 had, at one time in its life, fitted a refillable system, although the filler was mounted internally (under flap in gas compartment) as there is a mounting plate there; Did think about fitting a system, (and maybe's still will, one day) but would want an external filler.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back