Installing Mopeka Gas level gauge on Twin Gasit 11Kgs Bottles (1 Viewer)

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
I bought the twin pack which comes with two magnetic sensors to go on the bottom of the two gas bottles, a two level LED gauge to go in your control panel and you download the Mopeka App to see your gas bottle fill levels on your iPhone.

To activate the sensors and gauge for first time use you put the two close together and press the button on each tank sensor unit 5 times in quick succession and the gauge then recognises them and shows them to be empty as you have not yet installed them on the gas bottles. Next download the App and making sure bluetooth is on and load the App. Both sensor units will then appear and you input the size of your gas bottles in Kgs. I took the opportunity to label each sensor so that I know which bottle is being measured - front or back. The gauge has two buttons so the light one is the front bottle and black one the back/rear bottle in the cabinet. I only ever have one bottle turned on at once but this may change now that I can see the levels.

I then had to remove both gas bottles and put them on their sides, clean the round base and then measure to determine the exact centre of the base of each gas bottle. The units are very picky about being in the exact centre of the round base of the gas bottle. You then use a pea sized blob of the enclosed silicone grease to lubricate the sensor. The sensors are magnetic so stick to the bottom of the bottles quite easily. However you need to make sure that there is adequate clearance under the bottle to be sure that the sensor does not either get crushed or tilt away from the bottle. I cut myself a 1/2 inch board to fit the cabinet and then cut out circles 16 cms in diameter to give room for the sensors under the bottles and to lift the gas bottles off the base of the cabinet. The supplied aluminium pegs to attach to the rim of the bottles did not fit my Gasit cylinders so got binned.

My full cylinder shows 90% full on the App which equates to the 80% fill level of a Gasit cylinder and the other one is showing 77% after a long weekends use of the fridge, and intermittently hob, oven and boiler for hot water for showers and dishes. On the gauge next to the control panel there are a series of LED lights to show the levels. The full one lights up all the LED's and the part used one has one LED of the series not lit.

This is going to be very useful, especially in the colder times when the heating, as well as other gas consuming kitchen gadgets are in use.

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
We're getting a refillable system installed on 13th July, so didn't want to get rid of an unused Flogas 6kg bottle. My low tech solution was to weigh the full bottle and then it's near empty partner to confirm that the cylinder weights are quite accurate [seems to be a difference of 0.05kg], and then cross check with our normal gas usage of 0.5kg of gas each day, to confirm that we have 2kg of gas left in the 'open' gas bottle, and we'll have 2 non EHU nights on the way down to the installation appointment. Fingers crossed, we should only lose 1 kg of gas on the changeover!

Of course, I could be entirely wrong but my cursing, should the bottled gas run out, will produce enough hot air to keep the van warm ... :LOL:

Steve

Oct 10, 2018
Bracklesham Bay, West Sussex
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Abacist I have the same set up on my single Gaslow bottle and it seems to work well except that the battery in the sensor was not lasting very long, I discovered that the update rate was set at 3.5 seconds (or it may have been less) but since being re- set to 10.5 seconds the battery now lasts much longer , as you would expect. The current update rate is shown in the settings section on your screen and may be worth checking what it is set at to ensure maximum battery life.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
Mine has said low battery...........for a year now. Still working.

OP
OP
Abacist

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
Abacist I have the same set up on my single Gaslow bottle and it seems to work well except that the battery in the sensor was not lasting very long, I discovered that the update rate was set at 3.5 seconds (or it may have been less) but since being re- set to 10.5 seconds the battery now lasts much longer , as you would expect. The current update rate is shown in the settings section on your screen and may be worth checking what it is set at to ensure maximum battery life.
Thanks very much for that! I just checked mine and its set to every 6 hours so only 4 times a day.

Aug 25, 2016
Taynuilt, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer 655 Starline
Exp
Village idiot
I just use one sensor on my 2 q
11kg bottles but I just fill it up and open both bottles at the same time. As 1 sensor should work for 2 bottles the pressure is equal so they should discharge at the same rate. I think. 🤪😇 and one sensor should show you the percentage of the setup not one bottle. Both open and pressure equals.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Abacist

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
I just use one sensor on my 2 q
11kg bottles but I just fill it up and open both bottles at the same time. As 1 sensor should work for 2 bottles the pressure is equal so they should discharge at the same rate. I think. 🤪😇 and one sensor should show you the percentage of the setup not one bottle. Both open and pressure equals.
As I have the twin unit and prefer to use a bottle at a time that gives me the option to swap in a third GASIT cylinder which is the smaller ?6Kgs size if I get desperate! With the current shortages of LPG that may become a reality all too soon! I also still have a Calor 11 Kgs that I could use if required so independent use seems the best bet for me.

Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
I have used the mopeka system for a few years now and never had any gunge to use, just placed under a bottle. Successfully used with calor 6kg , gaslow 11kg and currently 7kg butane calor.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back