Installed Battery Master on IH TioRL - Questions (1 Viewer)

Feb 22, 2021
Oxfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
IH Tio RL
Exp
Since 2017
I have has a Battery Master fitted to my IH Tio RL ( Ducato ), to utilise the solar panel charge for the leisure battery to top up the main van battery now that we need to store the van away from home base. I am believe that, as part of the original van configuration, when the van is running, there is an excess flow the other way - from the main battery to top up the leisure battery. I now seem to get an intermittent audio 'ping pong' from the control panel when driving.... the whole panel lights up for a few seconds ..... but no specific warning is given, eg tanks empty etc. Any ideas anyone ? - Thanks

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
You say "Battery Master" which to me says VanBitz? is that what you have or is it a generic device that does something similar. whatever it is though it should not be charging from starter battery to habitation battery that is the job of a split charge relay or B2B device.

Don't know what the "Ping Pong" is though.

EDIT oops should have said not

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
I am believe that, as part of the original van configuration, when the van is running, there is an excess flow the other way - from the main battery to top up the leisure battery. I now seem to get an intermittent audio 'ping pong' from the control panel when driving.... the whole panel lights up for a few seconds ..... but no specific warning is given, eg tanks empty etc. Any ideas anyone ?
This charging of the leisure battery from the alternator/starter battery is a totally standard motorhome feature. It shouldn't trigger any control panel alarms or alerts. Does it happen as soon as you start the engine? Does it happen more than once as you are driving? What make/model is your control panel/fusebox?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
K
Feb 22, 2021
Oxfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
IH Tio RL
Exp
Since 2017
This charging of the leisure battery from the alternator/starter battery is a totally standard motorhome feature. It shouldn't trigger any control panel alarms or alerts. Does it happen as soon as you start the engine? Does it happen more than once as you are driving? What make/model is your control panel/fusebox?
Hi - this noise happens ( from panel PC320-IH ) when driving, and is intermittent. The addition of battery master ( from Vanbitz ) is serving the purpose of diverting excess charge from the leisure battery to the van battery when the van is parked for long periods - given that the leisure battery is in turn being charged from the solar panel. Before we fitted the battery master, after a few weeks, the van battery dropped charge so it was difficult to start the van - while we had the van close to a power socked, we could leave a trickle charger connected. Now we have moved house and the van is in storage most of the time, so the aim was to make use of the solar panel on the roof to keep the main battery topped up. That part works really well...... but I am getting this intermittent ping ( or better described maybe as beep-beep ) from the panel. I can turn off the audio alarm on the panel, but am curious what it is telling me.... Tx

Upvote 0
Jul 15, 2015
Isleham Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2012
I fitted a Votronic battery master and it works a treat, fit and forget checked my vehicle battery and it sits at a nice 13.1v. Are the wires on the right way round the vehicle wire to the vehicle battery and the the other to leisure battery as the device will only send charge in one direction. No expert but just a thought.

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
I think you have this system, from CBE.
<Broken link removed>
As well as the PC320 control panel, there will be a distribution/fusebox, probably a CBE DS300. Sorry I don't know what the beeping is, but others more familiar with CBE stuff might be able to shed some light. The BatteryMaster should not interfere with any of the electronics, but I suppose something could have been upset by the fitting process.

Upvote 1

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
If your beeps appear to be coming from a proper buzzer and not just an electronic sort of noise I'd start by looking at what warning buzzers the van has...and that will be getting an intermittent feed..the fitting of the battery master shouldn't cause any issues and as its only whilst driving is the step housed properly or could you be getting an intermittent warning there..
Andy..

Upvote 0
OP
OP
K
Feb 22, 2021
Oxfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
IH Tio RL
Exp
Since 2017
.... I follow the logic that maybe my association with the battery master fitting maybe a coincidence. One thing I noticed is that whereas the entry step which normally moves back in automatically when you turn the ignition, now isn't doing that.... could that be a pointer to something?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
K
Feb 22, 2021
Oxfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
IH Tio RL
Exp
Since 2017
The more I look at it - the more this hints at the audible warning being to a broken fuse, one which relates to the motorized step.... Happy if anyone thinks that make sense

Upvote 0

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
.... I follow the logic that maybe my association with the battery master fitting maybe a coincidence. One thing I noticed is that whereas the entry step which normally moves back in automatically when you turn the ignition, now isn't doing that.... could that be a pointer to something?
If your step isn't auto retracting on ignition signal then it's possible the switch that is operated by the step linkage is sticking.. that switch provides the negative circut on the closing relay coil.. it also can ar usually controls the warning buzzer..got to be worth a look.. (y)
Andy

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back