inside the door of my Bailey autograph motorhome it says the rear tyres should be 80 is this true (1 Viewer)

joezanders

Free Member
Jun 26, 2021
Funster No
MH
Bailey autograph
inside the door of my Bailey autograph motorhome it says the rear tyres should be 80 is this true

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Go and get the Popcorn.

There are basically two schools of thought.

One is that the tyres should be inflated to the amount of pressure dependant upon the weight each axle is carrying, (Continental Tyres.)

The other is that the tyres should be inflated to 80psi (approx), regardless of the weight imparted on the tyres. (Michelin)

Personally I go for the former. Every car has a different tyre pressure dependant on the No. of passengers and load. I don't see why it should be different for a Motorhome.

Sep 17, 2020
Totton
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 745
Exp
Since Sept 2020.
Aside from the Popcorn element, it is the case that MoHo tyres run at much higher pressures than cars. The sticker on my Boxer-based Autocruise says 79.5.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I use to run by 3.85t van at 65psi rear and 52psi front.
Decent handling and ride comfort with no excessive tyre heat buildup.
There's no real difinative tyre pressure, it's what feels right on the road.

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
My autotrail 3.5 says 72 rear 70 front
I go 68 rear 65 front

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Check it out on tyresafe website, it will give you the recommended pressures depending on tyre size/axle weights.

If you haven’t checked your actual axle weights yet use the maximum recommended weight.

My tyre pressures were originally set at 80psi and, according to maximum axle weight, should have been ....

Front 59psi
Rear. 64psi

The difference in the ride was immediately obvious.

Feb 20, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey 75-2
Exp
Tugger now Motorhome
From Michelin - ignore at your peril 😄

"Motorhomes require tyres are that are adapted to their conditions of use. In 2003, the ETRTO (European Tyre and Rim Technical Organisation) changed the standard, as well as its recommendations relating to motorhome tyres, and now says "CP-type tyres have been designed to cater for the higher loads imposed by motor-caravans”, and that "it is strongly recommended that motor- caravans are only fitted with CP-tyres”.

At replacement, Michelin strongly recommends the fitting of CP tyres to vehicles originally homologated and fitted with CP tyres.
The load on the tyre must not exceed its maximum limit for any reason, i.e. the load rating must be respected. The ETRTO also states that where CP tyres are used on the rear axle (single fitment), they must be inflated to a pressure of 5.5 bar instead of the normal pressure of 4.75 bar for example.

MICHELIN CP marked tyres are therefore specially designed to be driven at an inflation pressure of 5.5 bar (550 kPa) This higher pressure improves road holding and increases resistance to the challenging driving and usage conditions encountered by motorhomes, especially with regard to loads (occasional static and/or dynamic overload associated with this type of vehicle; considerable rear overhang, load imbalance, high centre of gravity due to highly positioned loads) and long-term periods of disuse.

Fitting tyres that are not adapted to this type of use could lead to:

- poor handling (roll, pitch, yaw, difficulties in road holding)

- in difficult or severe conditions, premature deterioration of tyre components, such as the crown, which could lead to a rapid deflation.

In use: check and adjust if necessary tyre inflation pressures monthly and before any long journey. Under-inflation can be dangerous: for example, for the tyre size 225/70R15 Camping CP, an under-inflation of 0.5 bar/7.2psi (11%) is equivalent to an overload of around 100 kg per tyre.

Overloading (even temporarily) or poor vehicle load distribution can cause premature deterioration of vehicle components and/or tyres and thereby cause damage to persons or property”.

If the vehicle is parked for a long time, do not leave the tyres under inflated, and always make sure that the inflation pressures are correct before next using the vehicle. Protect tyres from UV radiation, e.g. from sunlight, and use axle stands to avoid tyre contact with cold winter surfaces (concrete, stone etc)."

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
I find with our 4500kg van that when fully laden and towing our car trailer 80 psi on the rear and 69psi on the front works well, however when not towing and less loaded will drop the pressures to a more comfortable ride, pressures depending on what we have onboard.😊

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I run my Toyo's at front 56psi (1930kg) , reat 69psi (2300kg) as recomended by Toyo. Best thing I ever did getting rid of the crap Michelin CP tyres, hard ride & lack of grip.

Aug 12, 2021
Funster No
MH
chausson
Sorry to put a damp squib on things here but be very wary of not abiding by the manufacturer recommended pressures (even though the ride is much better!) If you were ever involved in a serious RTC and your tyres are more than 10% either way, your insurance could be void and even the possibility of be being prosecuted.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
If you were ever involved in a serious RTC and your tyres are more than 10% either way, your insurance could be void and even the possibility of be being prosecuted.
Can you point to a policy or a case where this has been so? Thanks

Wrong fit, wrong size, wrong speed or weight ratings maybe. But 10% pressure, Most TPS Systems are only accurate to around 15%

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
If you were ever involved in a serious RTC and your tyres are more than 10% either way, your insurance could be void and even the possibility of be being prosecuted.

So if my tyres are 6.5psi too low or too high I risk prosecution or a void insurance policy! Just been looking into this further and I have come to the conclusion you made it up or read it on Facebook :D.

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Sorry to put a damp squib on things here but be very wary of not abiding by the manufacturer recommended pressures (even though the ride is much better!) If you were ever involved in a serious RTC and your tyres are more than 10% either way, your insurance could be void and even the possibility of be being prosecuted.

Insurance can't be invalidated for this reason. There are only a small list of reasons that compulsory insurance can be invalidated for and these largely related to not paying the premium, not have a valid driving licence or not being listed as the driver.

Anything related to the conduct of the driver or roadworthiness of the vehicle is explicitly forbidden from invalidating insurance. This is so that if you are hit by a drunk driving a car with bald tyres you still get a payout.

Policies MAY decided to invalidate the accidental damage portions, or even make you liable to refund the insurance company for 3rd party payouts in such situations. However, they'd have to have specific wording in this regard. Such clauses are frequently limited to drink driving. However, you need to read your specific policy.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I use to run by 3.85t van at 65psi rear and 52psi front.
Decent handling and ride comfort with no excessive tyre heat buildup.
There's no real difinative tyre pressure, it's what feels right on the road.
That is exactly what it says on the mudguards of our ex ambulance.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
inside the door of my Bailey autograph motorhome it says the rear tyres should be 80 is this true
What tyres do you have? If Michelins you will be stuck with a bone shaking ride.

If Continentals take your motorhome loaded with everything you take on your trips and get each axle weighed. Then contact Continental and they will tell you what their recommendation for the pressures front and rear. As for following motorhome converters advice as to tyre pressures, I would always trust the company that makes the tyres. Continental sent me by email a chart for recommended pressures for various axle loads for my tyres, which I printed out and keep in the motorhome.

Edit. 4500kg A class and I run my rears at 5.5bar and the fronts at 3.5 bar, all as recommended by Continental for the axles loads

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2010
Northants
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach740SE
Exp
Since 2006
If your not running CP rated tyres then in most cases 80psi on Van tyres C rated is exceeding the recommended maximum pressure by 15psi. It certainly would on mine.
Just check your maximum rated pressure on the tyre wall before inflating to 80psi

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Most motorhomes running at 80psi will be doing so on Michelins. I have heard of them giving pressures different to 80PSI but mostly, no matter what axle weight combinations you give them when looking for optimum pressures they invariably come back with 80PSI

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
The attached image is the tyre pressure page from the manual for our 2003 Burstner t625 Harmony.
Tyres are 215/70 R15, Michelin Agilis Camping.
I inflate to the recommended 5 bar pressure, the ride is comfortable and no problems so far.

Attachments

• Image 0041.jpg
    Image 0041.jpg
    194.3 KB · Views: 52

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
What tyres do you have? If Michelins you will be stuck with a bone shaking ride.

If Continentals take your motorhome loaded with everything you take on your trips and get each axle weighed. Then contact Continental and they will tell you what their recommendation for the pressures front and rear. As for following motorhome converters advice as to tyre pressures, I would always trust the company that makes the tyres. Continental sent me by email a chart for recommended pressures for various axle loads for my tyres, which I printed out and keep in the motorhome.

Edit. 4500kg A class and I run my rears at 5.5bar and the fronts at 3.5 bar, all as recommended by Continental for the axles loads

That is exactly what I did. Sent Continental the weights and the tyre type and size and they sent back their recommendations. I gave a copy of the email to the people who service and MOT the van so there is no argument that the tyres are underinflated.

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
Insurance can't be invalidated for this reason. There are only a small list of reasons that compulsory insurance can be invalidated for and these largely related to not paying the premium, not have a valid driving licence or not being listed as the driver.

Anything related to the conduct of the driver or roadworthiness of the vehicle is explicitly forbidden from invalidating insurance. This is so that if you are hit by a drunk driving a car with bald tyres you still get a payout.

Policies MAY decided to invalidate the accidental damage portions, or even make you liable to refund the insurance company for 3rd party payouts in such situations. However, they'd have to have specific wording in this regard. Such clauses are frequently limited to drink driving. However, you need to read your specific policy.
This in my experience is the case. A lot (not all) of insurance policies expressly reserve the right of the insurer to pursue the insured in the case of negligence or wilful disregard of the law.

To the innocent party, who suffers damage in an accident caused by the insured, it would be grossly unfair if the innocent party didn’t receive compensation from the insurer, just because the insurer could void the policy as a result of the insured’s actions such as having under-inflated tyres.

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012

As an example, DirectLine's policy booklet mentions repay only in terms of altering or not-updating the software for automated cars. Zurich has no mention of 3rd party repay or even exclusion to accidental damage as a result of any criminal behaviour. I have definitely seen exclusions for this in the past, but generally only for drink driving.

Feb 20, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey 75-2
Exp
Tugger now Motorhome
I think the insurer can riggle as long as it can be proved that anything non standard on the vehicle contributed to the accident happening. I certainly have seen insurers (loss adjusters) measuring tyre depth and tyre pressures of vehicles involved in accidents. Probably why they like to cart them off to a secure compound so they cannot be tampered with following a serious crash. Property (vehicles) is pretty irrelevant to insurers - they are only interested in spectacular personal injury claims - that's when tyre pressures and condition suddenly become relevant.

Jan 17, 2010
Northants
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach740SE
Exp
Since 2006
Which is only relevant for the American market ;I believe?
No I believe its for the uk market as well, hence using the word 'tyre' rather than the american 'tire'

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back