Inside handle of sliding door - Relay / Boxer / Ducato (1 Viewer)

PeteRelay

Free Member
Aug 22, 2020
Funster No
MH
Relay
Exp
Hi all... I'm having loads of trouble with the inside handle of the sliding door of our Citroen Relay self-build. When the door is firmly shut, the inside handle is really stiff and doesn't have enough travel to fully open the door.. needs help from the outside handle. Has anyone had anything like this? Thanks!

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Hi Pete,

......and welcome to the forum,

The only time when I've had a stiff van handle was when a piece of the sound proof foam came away and lodged itself between the locking mechanism.

You should be able to pop the panel off and investigate the issue but in theory it sounds as if you have some kind of hindrance in the moving parts.

You could also be suffering from a dislodged runner (or even a broken lock mount) where the wire mechasnim that connects the two locks has jumped out of its housing, meaning that it will be tougher to pull and therefore unable to achieve a sufficient level of movement in the mechasnim to release the lock.

Pop off the panel and post a few pics if you can.

All the best,

Andrew

OP
OP
P

PeteRelay

Free Member
Aug 22, 2020
Funster No
MH
Relay
Exp
Thanks Andrew
I've had all the panels off and replaced both handles, the central rail roller and both door latches (including cables). All I've got left to try is the cable between the inside and outside handle, and trying to adjust the door set-up so it doesn't close as tightly (the handle does work if the door isn't shut too firmly).
After that I'm all out of ideas / options / things to replace!
These doors seem poorly designed.. very interesting to hear who else has struggled with this and how they've fixed it...
Thanks!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
You are probably right. Presume you have tried good old WD40 all over the door catch mechanism??
I am on my second boxer / ducato van conversion and both have been on the stiff side, although useable.
Also, a different point, but when closing the sliding door, especially from the inside, it needs a good slam to shut properly. But it is much much easier if you have a window or roof light open in the van.

Mar 30, 2019
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Trigano Tribute
Exp
Since 2017
To add to what #motorhomer said if you put the palm of your right hand on the right hand side of the door as you close it from the outside with a firm push it will close properly 99% of the time.
Also good to close it more quietly at night if you push the door slowly to within 6” then give it firm push.

OP
OP
P

PeteRelay

Free Member
Aug 22, 2020
Funster No
MH
Relay
Exp
Thanks all.. definitely going to have a good go at cable adjustments at the weekend. I think the challenge will be setting up the door so it's loose enough to be able to open from the inside but tight enough for the central locking contacts to meet properly... funtimes!

Sep 9, 2019
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 632
Exp
Since Sept 2019
Make sure ALL the little wheels that run in the runners at the bottom, middle and top of the door rotate smoothly on their little axles. Check that the runners they run in haven't got any kinks or bulges in them and the wheels run smoothly in them (bash them back into shape with a hammer if they have). GREASE (not WD40!!) all rotating components and lightly grease the runners. Check that the door is absolutely square in the door frame, with even shut lines all the way around the door. Check that the door skin is flush/level with the adjacent panels to it's front and rear. Check that the security latch (it's male and looks like a small doorstop in shape and fits into a female counter part located near the top of the leading edge doorframe.) is lined up and adjusted correctly. Lastly check that the latch mechanism on the trailing edge of the door and it's corresponding catch in the trailing edge doorframe line up correctly and that they haven't loosened or moved. In my experience of sliding van doors it is EXTREMELY RARE for the wired components inside the doorskin to be at fault. All the items I've highlighted above are adjustable, the door takes a helluva a hammering as you slam it shut and the locking and latching components wear/ move out of alignment over time.

Keep us posted with your solution!

Cheers!

Russ

OP
OP
P

PeteRelay

Free Member
Aug 22, 2020
Funster No
MH
Relay
Exp
That's great - thanks Russ.. will go through your list at the weekend..
Best
Pete

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back