inner tube but not in a ring (1 Viewer)

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I haven't had a bike for many years, now got 2 x electric bikes and with my luck that will bring on a string of punctures :unsure:

Being technically inept, many years ago when our kids (now 34 and 33) had bikes and depended on Dad to fix I found and bought inner tubes that were a straight length rather than a ring

So easy to fit, no need to remove wheel from frame, still got no idea how I would change a tube on a rear wheel with gears etc

Now cant find them anywhere, Halfords have told me I am wrong they have never been made, but sounds a good idea, I am sure I bought them from Halfords as we all did 25 years back but it too hot to argue

I thought google would soon find them, but I have failed, anybody else used them or know where to buy

20" please for folding bikes (y)?

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
There is a bike shop at the end of the road in Pickering David but I don't know if you will get those there.

Martin

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
I know these stock them.
Ps it must be a good shop the owner has a pvc

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
All of a sudden I feel a need to learn how to get a wheel off, they are £14 each ?

But still so easy to fit I am still going to buy some just need to shop around now ?

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
All of a sudden I feel a need to learn how to get a wheel off, they are £14 each ?

But still so easy to fit I am still going to buy some just need to shop around now ?
If you hang about a week or two the Tour de France will be finished so you could get one of their cars to follow you around and just whip one of the spare bikes off the roof if you get a puncture!(y) They seem to be well versed in the changeover procedure.(y)

:giggle:

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Is it a rear wheel with a cassette of cogs and a derailleur, or an internal hub of gears?

If it's got a derailleur, drop it down to the smallest cog. Undo the axle nuts and slide the wheel out. It's faffy and you'll get oil everywhere, but it's not too hard. Getting back in is more faff. Just manually push on the derailleur to the cogs past it. Make sure the axle is all the way into the drop-outs when you tighten it up. If the brakes are rubbing, it's probably not straight.

For internal hubs, it's best to release the cable coming in through the axle first. Leave the lock-nut alone and undo the knurled bit, releasing tension until it comes off. Then just undo the axle and drop out the wheel. The fun with these is getting the gear cable back to the right tension afterwards.

For most cases, don't pump up the tyre until the wheel is back in or it won't pass the brakes.

Oh, and check the tyre carcass to make sure whatever caused the puncture isn't still in there! Make sure you pump up to a reasonable pressure. Low pressures cause pinch-punctures.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Go to Halfords (wash my mouth out :giggler: ) buy a bottle of Slime

It works wonders. We go much further afield now we use ebikes (30 miles last Saturday) and don't want the Pfaff of punctures ruining the trip, to the pub, and certainly not on the way back from the pub !

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Is it a rear wheel with a cassette of cogs and a derailleur, or an internal hub of gears?

If it's got a derailleur, drop it down to the smallest cog. Undo the axle nuts and slide the wheel out. It's faffy and you'll get oil everywhere, but it's not too hard. Getting back in is more faff. Just manually push on the derailleur to the cogs past it. Make sure the axle is all the way into the drop-outs when you tighten it up. If the brakes are rubbing, it's probably not straight.

For internal hubs, it's best to release the cable coming in through the axle first. Leave the lock-nut alone and undo the knurled bit, releasing tension until it comes off. Then just undo the axle and drop out the wheel. The fun with these is getting the gear cable back to the right tension afterwards.

For most cases, don't pump up the tyre until the wheel is back in or it won't pass the brakes.

Oh, and check the tyre carcass to make sure whatever caused the puncture isn't still in there! Make sure you pump up to a reasonable pressure. Low pressures cause pinch-punctures.

Faff and messy got to me very early on in your reply

great explanation though (y) just not for me

I have ordered 2 of the tubes from Halfords on click and collect, just for a laugh now i am retired and have time on my hands I will have a chat with the people who looked at me like I had grown 2 heads when I asked for them :whistle2:

Plus a couple of tubes of slime so in reality I will never need the tubes anyway (y)

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Off-topic: For people that have bought e-mountain bikes, did you know that all modern mountain bikes (in the past couple of years over about £500) are designed to run tubeless? Look into it! You run lower pressures, so more comfortable ride and better grip. No inner tube means lower rolling resistance and less weight. And best (if most weirdly) you get less punctures. It takes about an hour and a £20 kit to convert them.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back