Free Member
Sep 13, 2016
Dorset
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
I'm a newbie
As I understand it the beading around the van is to hide the scews and make it tidy or does it serve another purpose? Mine is quite discoloured in places and also loose in places does it just snap in ? Or is it glued in?is this easily cleaned or easily changed and widely available and what sort of cost? I know I know question after question, just trying to get motorhome educated!
All advice welcome.
Thanks Dave

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
Mostly decorative from what I can see
A picture of the seals you are referring to would help, also the make of the van. Unless you are referring to this type of seal?

_75856076_harbour_seal-spl.jpg

OP
OP
D

Dave the builder

Free Member
Sep 13, 2016
Dorset
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
I'm a newbie
SeA new life 48 it's the rubber type seals that sits in the channels all around the van don't know how to upload pictures. Sorry.

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
Not all of the beading is just decorative. As you've said the beading is there to cover some seams & screws. If the metal is loose over a joint, it'll need to be sealed with a non setting mastic. The beading is quite difficult to bend properly if it curves anywhere. There is usually an insert which is plastic & widely available. If the insert is coloured it really brightens the vehicle up once replaced.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
SeA new life 48 it's the rubber type seals that sits in the channels all around the van don't know how to upload pictures. Sorry.

Ah it sounds like its just the insert that's seen better days. As I've said, a fiddly job but not difficult & very rewarding to do. The job is made a lot easier if the beading is warmed slightly. Put it in the sunlight for a while or pop it on top of a radiator in the house first. Don't put it in warm water as you'd just be sealing water in behind it.No mastic or sealer required. Good luck with the job.

PS: Open an account with a site called "photobucket" & you'll find that its great for uploading photo's on sites such as this one. Its free & they don't pollute your computer with millions of cookies.

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
Sounds like @ambulancekidd is on the case. Post back up on here if you have problems using photobucket.

No sense in

(wait for it)

Blowing a few squid more than you have to

(sorry, I couldn't help carping on about it)

OP
OP
D

Dave the builder

Free Member
Sep 13, 2016
Dorset
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thank you guys, people on here are so helpful.some are even slightly amusing (pyro!!)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
D

Dave the builder

Free Member
Sep 13, 2016
Dorset
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Here I go again what additive do I put in the clean water tank please it's empty at the moment but do I need something in there to keep it fresh?and also some purifier when in use maybe?.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
No you don't need an additive in the fresh water tank. We don't use it for drinking although we do for brushing teeth so something of an anachronism there but we're happy. There are plenty of threads purifiers and filters and on cleaning the tank at intervals with coke, Milton and various other favourites and using potable hose for filling but we've never bothered and survive to this day. :)

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
We use bottled water for drinking, and a separate hose for filling the fresh water tank, which we don't drink from (missus had an ulcer years back, so we don't take risks)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back