Information on Alhambra Palace (1 Viewer)

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
We have just managed to get tickets for the Alhambra Palaces in Grenada for Thursday (12 April) with an entrance time to the palaces of 11.30. I am getting totally confused trying to understand their website so could do with some advice from those who have visited it before.

Where is the best place to stay overnight with the motorhome please and how do we get from there to the actual palaces?

The website says it has a car park. Can I park the moho there or will it be too big?

Any advice on how to structure the visit would be helpful. My timed entry to the Nasrid Palaces is 11.30am but will we be able to get in to the gardens before that?

Any other good advice would be welcome.

Reactions: DBK
Mar 11, 2013
Gillingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
Just looked on Google Maps and parking looks as if it won't be a problem.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Went there many years ago. What a wonderful place it is. Never took van sorry I can't be of any help except to say remember your camera.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi Peter

From memory you get a morning or afternoon ticket, you obviously have morning so you can get in anytime from 08:30 I believe, your time for the Nasrid palace is strict but otherwise you are free to wander.

We stayed at the camping Reina Isabel and got the bus into Granada you have to walk into the centre and then get another bus from near the tourist information to the Alhambra itself, there is a big car park and I think somebody on your other thread said that it was OK to park there but not sure about overnight.

If you are OK walking it's worth going up the other side of the valley and getting the view back towards the Alhambra and the snow covered hills behind, we enjoyed the Cathedral in town as well.

Martin

Reactions: DBK
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Campercontact is your friend

1FE06DEA-0B31-4518-8D0E-0C6888C048F2.png

OP
OP
peterc10
Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Campercontact is your friend

View attachment 223902
Thanks Robert, I had already picked that up on Campercontact, but was not sure how far away it was and if it was part of the official car park. Was that the place you stayed at when you visited with your motorhome?

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Thanks Robert, I had already picked that up on Campercontact, but was not sure how far away it was and if it was part of the official car park. Was that the place you stayed at when you visited with your motorhome?
Its about 100m from the main entrance and is part of the offical car park. we've stayed there a few times in the MH, its nice and quiet and there is a nice walk from the back of the car park into the hills. There are no facilities so you need to take water with you.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Hi Peter

From memory you get a morning or afternoon ticket, you obviously have morning so you can get in anytime from 08:30 I believe, your time for the Nasrid palace is strict but otherwise you are free to wander.

We stayed at the camping Reina Isabel and got the bus into Granada you have to walk into the centre and then get another bus from near the tourist information to the Alhambra itself, there is a big car park and I think somebody on your other thread said that it was OK to park there but not sure about overnight.

If you are OK walking it's worth going up the other side of the valley and getting the view back towards the Alhambra and the snow covered hills behind, we enjoyed the Cathedral in town as well.

Martin

Is this the one with the really small pitches Martin? To get far enough away on one side so that I could open the door I had to plug the EHU in by pushing it through the hedge on the other side. Ridiculous.

Alhambra was fabulous though well worth the very reasonable ticket price.

Jon

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Is this the one with the really small pitches Martin? To get far enough away on one side so that I could open the door I had to plug the EHU in by pushing it through the hedge on the other side. Ridiculous.

Alhambra was fabulous though well worth the very reasonable ticket price.

Jon
Don't remember the pitches being that small Jon it has a fairly tight get in with building both sides but once in OK, we were slightly underwhelmed by the Alhambra experience.

Martin

The Nomad

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
Wandering in Europe
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Many years
Hi Peter

Martin

That's not my recollection. We last visited about 4 years ago.
Whilst you can wander round the gardens all day, they batch-time the tickets for entry into the actual Palace buildings into half hourly lots I think, and you only get in at the time shown on your ticket.
They only allow a certain number of people in each time slot in order to keep a steady flow of people going round the Palace throughout the day.

I think you need to be at the entry gate to the Palace 10 minutes or so be before your entry slot time shown on your tickets.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
That's not my recollection. We last visited about 4 years ago.
Whilst you can wander round the gardens all day, they batch-time the tickets for entry into the actual Palace buildings into half hourly lots I think, and you only get in at the time shown on your ticket.
They only allow a certain number of people in each time slot in order to keep a steady flow of people going round the Palace throughout the day.

I think you need to be at the entry gate to the Palace 10 minutes or so be before your entry slot time shown on your tickets.
Yes I agree with what you say about the Palace timed entry you but still need your ticket to get into the general area and when we were there with an Afternoon time for the Palace we could not get into the general area in the morning, We found it quite confusing(y)

Martin

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We've been and it was great - you can get into the grounds earlier but don't miss your Palace slot - make sure you are there at least 10 mins before you are due in but you'll end up standing in a long queue passed your slot time as that's just the start of the '30 mins' booking period so be prepared for that and don't panic thinking you've missed it. Make sure you take a packed lunch and plenty of fluids as you'll need it and some sweeties to keep your sugar levels up! Ideally get in as early as you can as it will take you most of the day to get round it all if you want to enjoy it properly ... take your time and don't feel rushed.

The large car park is near the entrance (there's a charge for it but I don't know what it is), we got parking across from the park in a small area near the hotel, but we only had a 6m PVC at the time.

Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
I’m guessing you can’t visit with a dog at all?

Oct 7, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner td590 lyseo
Exp
campervan for 5 years, motorhome since May 19
Iirc there is a "pod" near the entrance which you can connect to via Bluetooth.
You can download maps and other info in English.

Graydo

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Hi Peter

Martin
we stayed at the same site got bus into centre and walked to the alhambra.

Captain Pants

Free Member
Dec 19, 2019
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg PVC
Exp
Since 1982
Definitely take a packed lunch in with you. Considering this is Spain, surprisingly very little in the way of catering inside the grounds.
Visited in December 2019 - stunning.
B6A03A3B-A597-4C3A-9DA4-559DB8262A83.jpeg
DD0D6CE0-DC06-4AD5-9ECF-72722B50FA7C.jpeg

OP
OP
peterc10
Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Just a warning to you all that I started this thread almost two years ago.

Just for information, I would thoroughly recommend a visit to the Alhambra Palace and gardens. When we went we stopped at the car park at the Alhambra, which has a dedicated motorhome area with a "take a ticket on entry and pay before exiting" system. Arrived at about 5:30pm the night before and parked up for the night. We then wandered down to the ticket office to pick up our pre-ordered and paid for tickets for the following day. No queues at that time of the day.

Next day we got to the entrance at about 9:30pm and encountered no queues getting into the grounds. Spent all day in the grounds and Palace. It is that vast that you will really need all day to see everything. Walked back to the motorhome (about 100 yards) at about 4:30pm and paid for 24 hours of parking, which was about 30 Euros. Drove for an hour or so towards the coast and found a nice quiet free Aire overlooking a reservoir and stayed for the night there.

That was much easier than using camp sites and buses. And I reckon it was also cheaper given that you would have to pay for 2 nights in a campsite if you wanted to see all of the attractions.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Just a warning to you all that I started this thread almost two years ago.

Just for information, I would thoroughly recommend a visit to the Alhambra Palace and gardens. When we went we stopped at the car park at the Alhambra, which has a dedicated motorhome area with a "take a ticket on entry and pay before exiting" system. Arrived at about 5:30pm the night before and parked up for the night. We then wandered down to the ticket office to pick up our pre-ordered and paid for tickets for the following day. No queues at that time of the day.

Next day we got to the entrance at about 9:30pm and encountered no queues getting into the grounds. Spent all day in the grounds and Palace. It is that vast that you will really need all day to see everything. Walked back to the motorhome (about 100 yards) at about 4:30pm and paid for 24 hours of parking, which was about 30 Euros. Drove for an hour or so towards the coast and found a nice quiet free Aire overlooking a reservoir and stayed for the night there.

That was much easier than using camp sites and buses. And I reckon it was also cheaper given that you would have to pay for 2 nights in a campsite if you wanted to see all of the attractions.
Peter, so for your 11:30 timed entry how did that work, did you turn up early and have to queue, what day if the week was your ticket for?

Thanks

OP
OP
peterc10
Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Peter, so for your 11:30 timed entry how did that work, did you turn up early and have to queue, what day if the week was your ticket for?

Thanks
Neil, it was a Thursday. AFAIK you can turn up at any time after they open in the morning to be allowed into the surrounding gardens and areas. As to the actual Palace area we turned up at the designated queuing area just as the previous lot were going in. I think that was about 45 minutes before our time slot. That made sure that we got in our slot, I am a bit anal in that regard! There was advice given on your ticket to turn up "x" minutes before your slot, but can't remember what "x" was.

It all worked very well, you were guided through the Palace, but could stop anywhere and take your time if you wanted to.

For those that want to use the car park to stay in, it is the one furthest from entrance to the Alhambra. The exact coordinates of the entrance are N37.171693, W03.579966

Jul 14, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Our 1st Motorhome
Hi there,

We had a wonderful 3 night stay in Granada a last month (Feb 2020) to visit The Alhambra.

Ref the tickets to visit the Alhambra, we purchased tickets a few months ago, and the day we really wanted to visit (my OH's birthday) was sold out, but we kept a close eye on the official Alhambra ticketing website and they released unsold tickets the day before so we were able to get tickets for the second day.

In the last few weeks, the Alhambra ticketing system has been changed and they now release tickets further in advance and more are being released to public, as opposed to the ticket and tour agents who then resold them.

As previously mentioned, the tickets are timed but the time is for The Nasrid Palace. You must make sure that you are in the queue beside the entrance to the Nasrid Palace in good time. Please note that it is about a 10-15 minute walk to get to the Nasrid Palace from the main entrance. You can get onto the Alhambra Site from 08:30 on the day of your ticket.

Apart from the Nasrid Palace, the beautiful General Life gardens are amazing and about a 20 minute walk from the exit point from the Nasrid Palace.

We also paid for the Audio guides which are worthwhile and they cover the whole of the Alhambra Site. There is limited food and drink outlets, but you can get snacks, filled rolls and drinks etc.

For info, we had time tickets for 10:30 for the Nasrid Palace. We entered the main site at around 09:15, we had an explore of some of the other areas before going into the Nasrid Palace (we took approx 2hrs to visit the Nasrid Palace), then had a bite to eat, explored the fort area, then walked up to the Gardens. We left about 16:00, so it was a full day!

As far as where to stay, we decided that as we wanted to get into the Alhambra Site for around 09:00 on the two days we had tickets for, that we'd stay in the coach and motorhome carpark [Carpark P4] at the top of the hill.

Make sure that Satnav doesn't take you through the City Centre, but up the back of the hill - follow signs to The Alhambra off the Central Motorway.

You cannot beat the Motorhome Carpark for the convenience - it is literally a five minute walk down to the entrance gate. There are no facilities at all in the car park, but there are toilets at the Alhambra entrance down the hill. It worked out about €31/24hrs.

We were there for three nights and for us it was great value. It was very quiet at night, with perhaps six to eight other motorhomes each night we were there.

Btw, we really enjoy a bar called Bodegas Castañeda, where you can get great tapas and drinks (try a drink called "Callicassas"). It's tucked away down a side street in the City Centre.

Each evening we walked down into the City Centre for a wonderful evening and then either walked back up the hill, or caught a taxi (about €6).

Have a great visit - it really is a wonderful place! ?

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
For those who haven't been yet, the gardens are actually called the Generalife gardens. The word is pronounced Henneraliffay - cos some Gs and all Js are pronounced like we pronounce an H.

Hence my wife's name is said 'Henny-fair' by Spaniards ! She has a mate. also Jennifer married to Geoffrey, who own a villa near Almeria. Henny-fair y Haffray. LOL

Jul 14, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Our 1st Motorhome
For those who haven't been yet, the gardens are actually called the Generalife gardens. The word is pronounced Henneraliffay - cos some Gs and all Js are pronounced like we pronounce an H.

Hence my wife's name is said 'Henny-fair' by Spaniards ! She has a mate. also Jennifer married to Geoffrey, who own a villa near Almeria. Henny-fair y Haffray. LOL

Hi TC! Apologies you're quite right - in my reply I spelt the Generalife Gardens as three words, but I'm afraid I can't edit it now. ? AnywayI think they're my favourite gardens anywhere in the world - the fountains are amazing and it was lovely and sunny when we visited, so they were absolutely stunning!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back