Inflated prices (1 Viewer)

May 28, 2020
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Izola S687SP
Exp
We started this journey to get our first motorhome back in February with a trip to the NEC show, and then of course we all know what happened. I posted earlier about a van I viewed today which had potential as a contender, however I’ve been looking at a couple of back issues of practical motor home and the price inflation is just something we can’t suck up, £6-7k Increase on a van that was £22k a few months ago is frankly madness and so we’ve decided to just sit on our hands keeping an eye on things and see what happens with the market, I’ve viewed a lot of very rough looking vans recently and I really can’t believe the prices that they are selling for, people obviously have far more cash to throw around than we do, although our Yorkshire blood may have something to do with it 😂. Hopefully we won’t have to wait too long for common sense to return.

Campervan_man

Free Member
Jun 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globebus
Exp
There is bargains out there but the bargains are snapped up quickly.
Beware of the many scam adverts on ebay.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Billylyne5
May 28, 2020
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Izola S687SP
Exp
There is bargains out there but the bargains are snapped up quickly.
Beware of the many scam adverts on ebay.
Quite possibly, but working full time and other half working out of the country quite a bit makes it quite difficult especially when you are competing against people who simply buy online without even viewing. I wouldn’t buy from ebay, I can kick tyres and poke around and ask some questions but really we want a dealer purchase just for a bit more come back. Hey ho

Upvote 0

stevewagner

LIFE MEMBER
May 14, 2013
Pevensey Bay
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Yonks
We started this journey to get our first motorhome back in February with a trip to the NEC show, and then of course we all know what happened. I posted earlier about a van I viewed today which had potential as a contender, however I’ve been looking at a couple of back issues of practical motor home and the price inflation is just something we can’t suck up, £6-7k Increase on a van that was £22k a few months ago is frankly madness and so we’ve decided to just sit on our hands keeping an eye on things and see what happens with the market, I’ve viewed a lot of very rough looking vans recently and I really can’t believe the prices that they are selling for, people obviously have far more cash to throw around than we do, although our Yorkshire blood may have something to do with it 😂. Hopefully we won’t have to wait too long for common sense to return.
Try British Car Auctions in Nottingham they have a Motorhome and caravan auction at least once a month

Upvote 0
Nov 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Challenger 287GA
Exp
Since 2020
Billylyne5 we were very recently in the same position as you. We really wanted to buy a van after our hiring trial went so well. We were looking every day on several (Polish) auction sites, as well as mobile.de and found the same as you....hugely inflated prices or vans that had, to be polite, seen better days. We resigned ourselves to not looking again until September/October when hopefully some crisis buyers will be putting them up for sale. However, being a stubborn whatsit, I kept on sneakily having a glance, and found a perfect-for-us van, from a dealer with great feedback and a good reputation at a very reasonable price. I really do know how dis-heartening it is, but I would say to keep on checking every day and (within the constraints of your job etc) be ready to travel slightly further than you would normally consider if you think that it might be "the one". Good luck with your search!!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Billylyne5
May 28, 2020
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Izola S687SP
Exp
Well we did liked a 2009 auto trail Apache 632 that we looked at, which is the layout we ideally like but the more we look the more we are coming to the conclusion that the layout we want and condition we want is just not in our budget. Ideally we want a decent sized fixed bed with a front lounge rather than half dinette. However we are now widening our wish list and are considering a rear lounge style as they seem to be more available and in budget, we have £25k which I thought was fairly healthy but seems not

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Well we did liked a 2009 auto trail Apache 632 that we looked at, which is the layout we ideally like but the more we look the more we are coming to the conclusion that the layout we want and condition we want is just not in our budget. Ideally we want a decent sized fixed bed with a front lounge rather than half dinette. However we are now widening our wish list and are considering a rear lounge style as they seem to be more available and in budget, we have £25k which I thought was fairly healthy but seems not
Fixed rear bed(s) and front lounge are more the domain of European converters, rather than UK ones. That's not to say they don't exist it is just that the front Eurolounge, which fully utilises the swivel front seats are ubiquitous in European built motorhomes. And if you get an A class it will make that front lounge look and feel bigger.

£25k would have been optimistic for a decent 11 year old A class before Covid, but now, as you have found out, prices have jumped up even more. But I suspect that an older A class from a European converter like Hymer, who have not used wood structurally in their vehicles for 40 years, would get you a better made motorhome that would last you longer than many 11 year old UK built motorhomes. Note that is just my opinion and I am sure others will have other opinions.

I suspect you are wise to wait a while. Many people have just jumped into motorhoming as an alternative to flying or cruising without really researching it and deciding that it suits them. Many will find next year that it is not for them and I suspect there will be a glut of second hand motorhomes on the market. Those that bought on HP or loan will be especially desperate to get rid of it. So I think next year prices will reduce, but not sure that they will ever get down to what they were.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Nov 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Challenger 287GA
Exp
Since 2020
I would also suggest checking out the hymermarket facebook group. Some very nice vans go up for sale there and they tend to be from loving owners for a reasonable price.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back