Inflatable ribs and small hp outboards (1 Viewer)

Gazza333

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2013
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 695
Exp
hi so who has one of these setups in their motorhome ? I'm just about to get one and am interested in where to go to try it out. Campsites with a slipway ? Wild camping with access to water etc.

Heard a few places in the lakes but interested in anywhere, especially close to me in Staffordshire but Norfolk broads, Wales, anywhere really

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
Keswick C&CC Derwentwater site is right on the north shore of the 'lake' and has its own beach and slip.

Plenty of small dinghies, both sail and motorised launch from the site, along with us kayakers.

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
View from the beach....
image.jpeg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Shrewsbury West Mids Showground have camping and a slipway straight to the river.

If you call Jan or Ian they will tell you if its OK.

Martin

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
We have a 5m rib and outboard. The trouble we have found when using the MH is getting close enough to the launch area to set it up due to our size. Also consider that after using a slip you will need to drive off as normally there is very little parking available then you need to make your way back.

Had ours for five years and have got very little use out of it.

OP
OP
G

Gazza333

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2013
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 695
Exp
We have a 5m rib and outboard. The trouble we have found when using the MH is getting close enough to the launch area to set it up due to our size. Also consider that after using a slip you will need to drive off as normally there is very little parking available then you need to make your way back.

Had ours for five years and have got very little use out of it.

The one I'm looking at is half that size (just over ) so I'm guessing much easier to move around on its transom wheels. That's why I'm looking for sites with slips or very close to somewhere an launch. I intend to manhandle it there rather than using the Mh to launch it

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
On the broads there are numerous slipways, Wroxham, Potter Heigham, Rockland St Mary, Hardley to name a few, some charge .
With a rib beware your speed,nlimits on broads are generally 4mph , very easy to get booked as river inspectors have radar .
Not sure on licence for visitors, living here mine was licenced.
Lots of lovely places to visit on the water.

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
I had earmarked Nant Gwynant Campsite, which is just past Betws y Coed, as a kayak friendly site with slipway for launch.
Never made it there yet so I can`t speak from experience but I hope to get there sometime this year !
No idea if there are any restrictions on outboard motors but I seem to recall some lakes don`t allow them but that could be something I just dreamed up !

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Shell Island has its own harbour and slipway. Have used it many times when I had boats.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
You would do worse at Mediterraneo Camperstop in Calpe, Spain.
The road outside has been flooded for days following six days of torrential rain, hail etc.

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
We have a 3.8mtr Avon inflatable with a 15hp outboard that all fits in the toad.
We launch and recover with me sat in the boot of the toad holding the painter handle and using transom wheels while Mrs DW drives.
Usually use North Ledaig site near Oban for trips to Lismore and Mull.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Goes in my boot with plenty of room for the outboard, ladder, chairs etc...

20160819_194411.jpg

JJ :cool:

PS. Make sure it is in neutral and only on tickover before you hinge down the outboard into the water...

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
The one I'm looking at is half that size (just over ) so I'm guessing much easier to move around on its transom wheels. That's why I'm looking for sites with slips or very close to somewhere an launch. I intend to manhandle it there rather than using the Mh to launch it
Noting your reference to transom wheels, would it not be easier to leave it on its road trailer ?

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
A lovely little inflatable JJ, you were lucky to find such a gem (y).

At the price I had to pay for it, I should have got a free Captain's Hat thrown in with the deal.

JJ :cool:

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
Noting your reference to transom wheels, would it not be easier to leave it on its road trailer ?

Tend to agree. The rib type must weigh quite a bit more the canvas hull type. The transom wheels only support the weight of the back end. Depends how strong you are to lift the bow end.
I had a Zodiac and used the trailer to launch.

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
I had a Zodiac and used the trailer to launch.

Me too (y).... I would have loved a RIB back in my diving days, but with a young family, an inflatable keel Zodiac with 40hp Mariner was as far as the dive boat budget stretched.
It would easily get up on the plane, but without the deep 'v' hull of the RIBs, it wasn't as comfortable in rougher seas.
Lots of fun though !

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
:notworthy2: :cooler: :notworthy2: :cooler: :notworthy2: :cooler: Etc Etc.......

Is that yours ?
Yes. We started years ago with a 3m Quicksilver Airdeck and a 5Hp Honda, the boats got bigger, too big for the lockers, so went onto trailers. Then the boats got too big for trailers. Then we realised that we'd ended up with "floating caravans" So we went back to a RIB on a trailer.

That is a Zodiac Medline III

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
Yes. We started years ago with a 3m Quicksilver Airdeck and a 5Hp Honda, the boats got bigger, too big for the lockers, so went onto trailers. Then the boats got too big for trailers. Then we realised that we'd ended up with "floating caravans" So we went back to a RIB on a trailer.

That is a Zodiac Medline III

Lovely and I'm not at all jealous :D2

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
It doesn't have a road trailer. It's an inflatable so fits in a bag in the garage .
Ah !.... Not a RIB then as in your opening title, apologies.

A RIB has a rigid hull (Rigid Inflatable Boat) and wouldn't normally be capable of folding down to fit in your boot or van garage.

You're talking about an inflatable, which makes more sense of the transom wheels. Thanks for clarifying.

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
Me too (y).... I would have loved a RIB back in my diving days, but with a young family, an inflatable keel Zodiac with 40hp Mariner was as far as the dive boat budget stretched.
It would easily get up on the plane, but without the deep 'v' hull of the RIBs, it wasn't as comfortable in rougher seas.
Lots of fun though !

My Zodiac had an inflatable keel with 40hp Mariner, used for water skiing and coast hopping, mainly in the med. Great fun but a lot of work and expense to keep in tip top condition.

Christoph

Free Member
Apr 9, 2016
Lytham
Funster No
MH
VW California
Exp
Since 2014
Redcliffe Farm private site right on the banks of the river Frome with a private slipway. You can launch there and head off into Poole Harbour. Nice walk along the river bank into Wareham too.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back