Free Member
Jun 20, 2016
Bucks
Funster No
MH
A Class Itineo
Exp
Since 2016
thinking of getting a 2/3 person inflatable kayak and was wondering if anyone has any experience with one and could offer some insight. Just want it for paddling on lakes in France this summer with the kids. Many thanks, Noel

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
@Minxy Girl should be able to provide some feedback.

I bought one of their two Gumotex canoes but have yet to test it! I'm hoping for the opportunity in a couple of weeks when I head to France.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
Had a Sevylor Colorado for a few years, which had two seats in it, but we also carried the dog, or one of the kids in the front. Excellent fun and very stable.

image.jpeg

Upvote 0

michndan

Free Member
Jan 12, 2016
Nuneatone
Funster No
MH
Hymer b644sl
Exp
I am also going to get a three person one in the next couple of weeks but decided on a Itiwit from Decathlon.

Upvote 0

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
We had one from Lidl or Aldi and it was ideal for paddling around in calm water, I wouldn't recommend it for rougher water though

My wife fell for that deal too.

#stillinthebox

Upvote 0

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
We bought a Sevylor Adventure+ (3 man) last year, used it 4 times and last weekend it looked like this:

IMG_5327.jpg

So it's gone back to Sevylor a few days ago. We used ours mainly on lakes although did try rivers but forgot that you have to be strong enough to paddle back up stream.....

Upvote 0
Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
We have a Sevylor and are pleased with it
You do need to use the gauge to avoid over inflating
Only downside is they are a faff to dry if you get a lot of water inside
We got ours through GoOutdoors as they were doing a price much + 10%

Upvote 0
Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
We have Sea Eagle, had it a couple of years. Works well so far and packs down easily enough. It's the only one we have tried although seen most.

There are loads of videos on YouTube for most of the various makes.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We bought a Sevylor Adventure+ (3 man) last year, used it 4 times and last weekend it looked like this:

IMG_5327.jpg

So it's gone back to Sevylor a few days ago. We used ours mainly on lakes although did try rivers but forgot that you have to be strong enough to paddle back up stream.....
You're not supposed to stuff your Mrs in it!!!! :Eeek:

No wonder she's trying to burst out of it! :rofl:

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
If you noly want something to mess about in once in a while and not to do any serious paddling then some of the cheaper kayaks/canoes will do, but you do get what you pay for.

I've had a few different inflatable kayaks/canoes and would never ever buy anything but a Gumotex ... they simply are fantastic quality products, much, much tougher than any others as they are made from materials similar to those that you find used for inland RIBs and are therefore inflated to a much higher pressure to give better rigidity and strength, pretty much double what others like Sevylor etc are.

Gumotex ones don't use a 'cover' with an internal bladder as shown in Ridgeway's photo which, apart from being less robust, are as Garfields says a pain to dry as the water gets inside the cover from the zips, no matter how careful you are to try to keep it out. If you're planning on staying on a site and only using it there so you can then let it hang out to dry then it's not such an issue but if you want something you can quickly get out of the water, wipe down and put away, then you won't beat a Gumotex.

Gumotex ones are also very forgiving ... if you hit a sharp rock etc they will just glide over them or bump off them, whereas those with 'covers' can tear or get a puncture ... I've used my Gumotex kayak all over the place, on our last holiday I was having great fun going round and between loads of rocks near the seashore and although I bashed against them a few times, and did a bit of a 'pirouette' on one when the tide suddenly went out, no damage was done at all ... I certainly wouldn't have dared try it with any other make unless it was a normal rigid kayak.

There are a few threads on the forum already about them so if you do a search for Gumotex you should find them.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Just another thing, don't forget to allow for buying buoyancy aids and paddles too!

Upvote 0
Jan 31, 2016
Halifax
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 9097F
Exp
June 2016
@Minxy Girl So where did you get yours from ? I know you like a bargain like the rest of us lol

However also considering a mega cheap one for our trip to Lake Garda with a view to getting a proper one at later date

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
@Minxy Girl So where did you get yours from ? I know you like a bargain like the rest of us lol

However also considering a mega cheap one for our trip to Lake Garda with a view to getting a proper one at later date
We got our last 2 lots of new ones from Germany, I think the link is in one of my previous posts, but of course that was when the exchange rate was more favourable so not sure if it would be cheaper than buying in the UK now.

The ones we have now are Twist 1 models, single seaters which are great, very lightweight, easy to paddle and quick to set-up - we actually got them with a 33% discount (€199 instead of €299 each) as the colour wasn't guaranteed not to change over time due to some issue with the UV protection but we were happy to live with that and just got some UV protection liquid to put on them and to date they've not faded at all .

Just found the place in Germany mentioned above:

You can occasionally get Gumotex kayaks/canoes on Ebay so might be worth having a shuftie.

Upvote 0
Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!

IMG_5327.jpg

Aww pregnant, can I have one? (y)

Upvote 0

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Well Sevylor agreed it was a fault and have refunded the full amount plus postage. Looking at a Gumotex Palava now, few $ more but looks worth it.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Well Sevylor agreed it was a fault and have refunded the full amount plus postage. Looking at a Gumotex Palava now, few $ more but looks worth it.

We used to have a Palava ... it's not the easiest of the Gumotex ones to paddle due to it's more 'oblong' shape and raised seating so you might want to consider the Solar instead which is more 'kayak' like:
s-l1600.jpg

One thing for sure though for those who get 2/3 seating ones, make sure you get double ended kayak paddles and not single paddles as it will save a LOT of arguments as to who should be paddling which side! :D

Below is a photos of us in our Palava with our 3 dogs ... you can just about see them!

Gumotex Palava r.JPG

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Alternatively consider 2 single kayaks instead ... no arguments at all then and easier if only one of you want to have a paddle, I often like to go on the water while hubby is just happy pottering around in the camper (well it's a good excuse for me to go and have some peace and quiet!).

Upvote 0

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
The Gumotex Palava is a Canoe not a Kayak so a different paddling style as it shows in Minxy girl's post, but a great piece of kit all the same.

Martin

Upvote 0
Jan 31, 2016
Halifax
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 9097F
Exp
June 2016
So own up who has got a waterways licence?
Apparently needed to use british waterways so I have just found out from our canoeing instructor at Scouts
Was told joining British Canoeing is most cost effective option...

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
AFAIK you only need it for inland waterways/lakes etc, and some are 'free' anyway, but not for the sea.

I did have one when we got our Palava but after the first year we only used it abroad so never bothered again. (y)

Upvote 0

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
AFAIK you only need it for inland waterways/lakes etc, and some are 'free' anyway, but not for the sea.
That's correct, you don't need one for the tidal reaches of any river, estuaries or the sea. You also don't need one for any of Scotland's rivers (y)

Upvote 0
Jan 31, 2016
Halifax
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 9097F
Exp
June 2016
Just bought a Sevylor Hudson inflatable kayak with 2 life vests and 2x 4piece oars for £150 very happy

Upvote 0

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
I bought one from Lidl a few years ago. Used it once. It is too unstable for river use. I might try it again on a lake but it isn't worth the load space for us to take away on holidays.

Upvote 0
Jan 31, 2016
Halifax
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 9097F
Exp
June 2016
Upvote 0

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
The Gumotex Palava is a Canoe not a Kayak so a different paddling style as it shows in Minxy girl's post, but a great piece of kit all the same.

Martin

Yes that's the only thing that puts me off the Palava. Looks like knees under the seat is a common position when things get a bit choppy. Would also mean we'd need new paddles.

Upvote 0

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Yes that's the only thing that puts me off the Palava. Looks like knees under the seat is a common position when things get a bit choppy. Would also mean we'd need new paddles.
I like the choice of kneel or sit with that extra bit of height, new paddles is a chance to buy some nice bending branches wooden paddles.

Martin

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back