inexperienced driver insurance (1 Viewer)

jonH

Free Member
Oct 14, 2008
Funster No
Hi Everyone,
I am trying to obtain insurance cover for my son either to be included as a named driver on my insurance policy for a VW T4 camper or have his own policy but I am finding it very difficult to do so. Although he is 24-years of age he only passed his driving test 6-months ago and most insurers stipulate a minimum driving experience of 2-years. Does anyone know of an insurer who considers inexperienced campervan drivers? Another problem I'm having with motorcaravan insurers is that they don't seem to distinguish between campervans and motorhomes - the usage of which can be very different.

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
You may be better off getting your son insured on a car policy first.

Unlike Camper/Motorhome insurance, companies dealing with cars are extremely competitive and there are literally thousands of them out there all after business.

Companies dealing with mh's and campers pick and choose who they will insure and how.

OP
OP
J

jonH

Free Member
Oct 14, 2008
Funster No
I think you're right about cheaper car insurance but my son is a 'chip off the old block' in that I wouldn't bother with any other vehicle than a camper if I was unable to cook/wee/sleep in it - I think I'd rather go 'all up' cycle touring. My son is 25-years of age next month so I'll try again then to get cover for him but I believe his 'less than 2-yrs driving experience' handicap will be the overiding disqualifier.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
They do tend to put campervans like VeeDubs in the same category as minbuses i.e 21+ and 3 years on a full clean licence.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back