Rally Chat Inexcusable and Unacceptable (1 Viewer)

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
As a couple who are about to throw ourselves on the sword of organising a Funsters rally for next year, we have considered long and hard with regard to whether we should have a deposit, how to pay for it etc.

We have reluctantly decided that in order to minimise late cancellations, non shows etc. we are going to ask for a deposit. Furthermore, we will be asking for the balance before the event as well.

We haven't gone to many rallies, but a high proportion of those we have managed to attend was as result of being on the 'Reserve List' after the original attendee cancelled. (At Saltfleet this year I seem to remember we were SEVENTEENTH on the list with about three weeks to go and we still got on the rally) Consider how much extra work that was for the organisers (and they might not have been at home themselves at the time)

As we will be organising the event, it seems to us that if, by demanding a deposit, if it makes someone think twice about withdrawal (or booking in the first place) then the deposit will have achieved it's purpose.

We are also going to do the deposit through bank transfer. For those who say, "Why not Paypal" I have to say that the Bank works for us and it's us that have to do the organising. It's no more intrusive than anything else and I will not accept that Paypal is safer. I make no apology for going down this route. Surely, it's what works for us. After all, it's US that are doing the work.

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
My advice (for what its worth):
Ask for the whole amount up front.
Its bad enough chasing people to get the deposit but its twice as difficult to get the balances. Money up front also means you don't end up out of pocket when you have to pay rent for the site and/or charges by local authority, water company etc.
People who haven't organised rallies themselves probably have no idea how much time and effort goes into it. And setting up the rally is the easy bit - getting attendees to reply to requests for information, confirmation and payment is where most of the time is spent.
Having said all the above, it is very satisfying when a rally has been well attended and everyone has enjoyed themselves.

Sep 19, 2016
romford
Funster No
MH
rollerteam 259p
Exp
owned vw in 90's just purchased rollerteam
I for one think it would be ok to pay a deposit or in full if thats what thd the organisers want. I had to pay for my west ham season ticket upfront, if not nobody would be going at the moment, tickets for Chester meet, newbury retro are both paid up front, how many people do not turn up for those events.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
As we will be organising the event

, it seems to us

Bank works for us and it's us that have to do the organising

After all, it's US that are doing the work.

There's an awful lot of WE and US there. No-one is forcing you to do this. It's THEY that make it a rally.

Though I totally agree with the sentiment of stopping the tossers inconveniencing folk.

You'd rather give you bank details to all and sundry, fine. At least with PayPay you are a bit removed from giving out bank details.

Last edited:

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
There's an awful lot of WE and US there. No-one is forcing you to do this. It's THEY they make it a rally.

Though I totally agree with the sentiment of stopping the tossers inconveniencing folk.

You'd rather give you bank details to all and sundry, fine. At least with PayPay you are a bit removed from giving out bank details.

Congrats at being the first to go anywhere near negative on the the thoughts (above) expressed above that are, quite simply OUR thoughts.

I think there will be less hassle in trying to resolve a problem with a Bank than Paypal (should there be a problem which is highly unlikely)

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
There's an awful lot of WE and US there. No-one is forcing you to do this. It's THEY they make it a rally.
A bit unnecessary I think. (n)
WE should be grateful to anyone who is prepared to take on this difficult task in order for US to get together and have FUN!

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010

This is 2017 Brian - bank transfers are as safe as any other transaction these days, I would say more so than Pay Pal, which is part of the eBay empire. As someone who has previously mentioned, you have more re-dress with your bank.

We have run rallies with up to 55 vans, and without up front deposits, the fees for the venue and entertainment would be in jeopardy. Despite that, there are quite a few members on here who seem to have a mistrust of banks, including some I may add, who have their own businesses.

Last edited:

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
Not wishing to get involved in the argument about which payment method is better, but just pointing out that PayPal is not part of Ebay, it’s an independent company.

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
Not wishing to get involved in the argument about which payment method is better, but just pointing out that PayPal is not part of Ebay, it’s an independent company.
They are also both a right PITA to deal with , their interest is pretty much self!

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I think there will be less hassle in trying to resolve a problem with a Bank than Paypal (should there be a problem which is highly unlikely)

Speaking from personal experience I'd have to disagree.

Paypal are excellent and more importantly fast at resolving disputes. The process is straightforwards.

None of the above applies to banks.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
A bit unnecessary I think. (n)
WE should be grateful to anyone who is prepared to take on this difficult task in order for US to get together and have FUN!

OK, label me Mr Grumpy but it came across a lot like the archetypical campsite warden to me.

PayPal, I use it a lot and it just seems safer to me to give out an email address, which can be changed at will rather than a bank account number which can't.

Yes we should be grateful and most are but then there is the minority who don't turn up or complain the queue for bacon is too long or the bacon too salty or....... well ask anyone who's run a meet.

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
OK, label me Mr Grumpy but it came across a lot like the archetypical campsite warden to me.

PayPal, I use it a lot and it just seems safer to me to give out an email address, which can be changed at will rather than a bank account number which can't.

Yes we should be grateful and most are but then there is the minority who don't turn up or complain the queue for bacon is too long or the bacon too salty or....... well ask anyone who's run a meet.

I thought the same when I read the post, it seemed like more hassle than the worth of it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back