scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Has anyone bought one for the van.. ?

They have come down in price and I wondered if they were any good ..

The ones I've looked at seemed a bit 'plasticy' and not very robust.. do they stand up to constant use and the rigours of van life.. or are they liable to break down ?

thanks for any feedback

Jim

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
On sale in most Lidls and are £29 now.

Eileen (Dylan) has one in her home and swears by it:winky:

I am thinking of getting one.

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
We are thinking of getting one as our friends have one in their truck camper and were so impressed that they have now bought one for their fifth wheel.

The first one they purchased only had 5 heat settings and they found they were too far apart for total controlability. The second one is Prima and has 10 heat settings. They reckon they can boil a 2 litre kettle in 3 minutes. As far as durability is concerned they haven't had it long enough to find out.

I believe you can only use certain metal kitchenware, but there is available a plate to go on top of the unit to enable the use of other materials, eg glass, copper based pans etc. but it is expensive.

Nigel and Pamala

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi you can only use Ferrous based pots and pans, ie. Steel, cast iron. Also some S/S pots won't work either.

Olley

Last edited:
OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi you can only use Ferrous based pots and pans, ie. Steel, cast iron. Also some S/S pots won't work either.

Olley

Good point Olley.. we have a set of heavy duty s/s pots .. I tested with a magnet and it pulled quite firmly .. do you think they would be ok ?

Thanks for the other replies .. doesn't look as though many have one yet ..

Cheers

Jim

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi jim I believe that if a magnet is attracted to them then their ok. Its to do with the nickel content, to high and they become non-magnetic.

Franke sinks used to be 18/10 S/S and if I remember they were non-magnetic
We used to flog induction hobs back around 1990, made by De-Detrich, I think then they were around £1000, we didn't sell many. ::bigsmile:

Olley

Last edited:

Bugsy

Free Member
Oct 25, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since December 2008
I have an induction hob at home and when I need to buy saucepans or frying pans I just take a magnet with me. If the magnet sticks they're fine, if it doesn't they won't work!

Toni

dylan

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
sw wales
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
n/a
As RR said I love mine its a Stellar make and has different heat settings on Heat and for Fry. Use it all the time when Rayburn not up to it and for quickness ! Use Judge pans and looked on the box and it says "suitable for induction plates". Very quick to use and wouldn't be without it in the house so I'm sure it would be very useful in the van.
Eileen

traveller

Free Member
Oct 27, 2007
Funster No
I have an induction hob at home and when I need to buy saucepans or frying pans I just take a magnet with me. If the magnet sticks they're fine, if it doesn't they won't work!

Toni

We have one at home but all the pans we had wouldnt work on the induction hob even the ones a magnet was attracted to. The double skillet that a lot of folk use in their motor homes wont work either thats why I dont use the hob in the van. Some stainless steel pans work others dont. Unless of course our hob is faulty.We bought a seperate set for home & very pleased with the hob itself.

BTW the base also has to be flat none of those ridges

Mororhomer

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
How many amps do they consume?

Many sites in the UK only have 10 amps and abroad they often only have 6 amps.

Also the power sockets in the van often go through a 10 amp circuit breaker - please check your van supply before buying.

Finally it all sounds rather heavy - I imagine you have plenty of spare payload.

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland

The ones I've looked at are 1800 watt = ~ 7.82A on full power

I have fitted an Owl Wireless Power meter on the 230v incoming supply in order to monitor and manage consumption.

Also the power sockets in the van often go through a 10 amp circuit breaker - please check your van supply before buying.

Mine is 16 Amp.

Finally it all sounds rather heavy - I imagine you have plenty of spare payload.

Actually they are a lot lighter than the solid iron plate type which we have at present, one of the reasons I was interested in buying, they are also a lot more efficient.

Cheers

Jim

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Has anyone bought one for the van.. ?
They have come down in price and I wondered if they were any good ..
The ones I've looked at seemed a bit 'plasticy' and not very robust.. do they stand up to constant use and the rigours of van life.. or are they liable to break down ?
thanks for any feedback
Jim

Hi Jim,

Since when could you cook:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Aug 1, 2007
Billingham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2003
I have one in the van and love it, the temperature control is amazing, I did have to get some new pans but it was worth it, I even use it at home. :thumb:

Ralph

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001

The ones I've looked at are 1800 watt = ~ 7.82A on full power

I have fitted an Owl Wireless Power meter on the 230v incoming supply in order to monitor and manage consumption.

Mine is 16 Amp.

Actually they are a lot lighter than the solid iron plate type which we have at present, one of the reasons I was interested in buying, they are also a lot more efficient.

Cheers

Jim

Hi Jim, you have an outfit many of us can only imagine in our dreams however is is a little different from the norm. I do not imaging that weight and storage space are as important to you as to those of us that drive around in campervans.

In my case, I have a LWB Renault Master van conversion, weight is no concern as I am nowhere near the MAM. However storage and electrical capacity are. I only have a 10 Amp breaker for my 3-pin plugs.

Your assurance that the consumption is only 7 amps or so is reassuring.

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Good point Olley.. we have a set of heavy duty s/s pots .. I tested with a magnet and it pulled quite firmly .. do you think they would be ok ?

Thanks for the other replies .. doesn't look as though many have one yet ..

Cheers

Jim
Hi Jim, a lot of stainless steels are magnetic. It just depends upon the amount of ferrite thats in them. If a magnet will hold firmly and I mean firmly there will be a relativley high amount of ferrite in there but whether they will do the job is something else.

Jim

:thumb:

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back