LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Thanks everybody. Will think about it tomorrow.. Really really appreciate your help.

Bearing in mind my mh has NO tv aerial, can you suggest what these aerial wires can be used for.

The cupboard has two wires: one is an aerial wire.. Don't know where the other end goes!!! Then there is an aerial wire comes from the ceiling to the chair by the table. Again no aerial so don't know where the other end of the wire goes.

Then there are these sockets in a cupboard. None of them seem to be live. Would it just be a fuse somewhere at fault?

Thank you.
Is it possible the cable end in the cupboard is the other end of the cable by the chair? Could be TV was sat on the table and watched from the chair? You could check the cable by using a multimeter in circuit continuity mode if you've got one. Just touch one probe to the outer case of one plug and the other probe to the outer case of the other one.
The white Vision Plus box is a signal amplifier that goes between the TV aerial (which you don't have!) and the TV. BTW this needs powered by a 12v supply to work. All connected up like this.
1593930691928.png

TV aerial plugs into "Input" \ "Antenna" \ "Ant-In" \ (or something like that).
TV plugs into "Output" \ TV \ (or something like that).
12v power supply plugs into the square hole with a round pin in it. It's a 5.5 x 2.5mm female jack plug. This is the Vision Plus version for hardwiring however you could fit a cigarette lighter plug to the bare end and plug it into a socket.
<Broken link removed>

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
I have an aerial in my van but means I have to run the cable from kitchen area to the cab area where I have the TV...

i bought one of these and so far so good... also works in any room at home..

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-...0001&campid=5338547443&icep_item=292299470264
It’s cheap for sure but does it have a built in booster as the Avtex does cheap is cheap if you have a signal in your lounge and you have not had to power the Ariel It is just that an Ariel without a signal booster which is what you need when out and about and is why is provided with the Avtex Ariel.

OP
OP
movan

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Langtoftlad

Can you let me know how much you want for it please plus p&p. Am still trying to stick to lockdown so would be good help. X

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 3, 2014
Oxford
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
since 2013
It’s cheap for sure but does it have a built in booster as the Avtex does cheap is cheap if you have a signal in your lounge and you have not had to power the Ariel It is just that an Ariel without a signal booster which is what you need when out and about and is why is provided with the Avtex Ariel.

My tv is an Avtex... its a few years old but works fine...

OP
OP
movan

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
APOLOGISING BEFORE I START. PLEASE BEAR WITH ME. I have spent over 2 hours trying to sort aerial out today and feel like
crying.

The tv is a new one.. So it works.
IMG_20200713_125807.jpg

But you can see the back there is a black lip/ridge. My tv aerial socket won't go in it as I can't straighten it to push it up, because of the tv ridge.. towards bottom right
IMG_20200713_125848.jpg

If, however, I remove this (photo).

IMG_20200713_125931.jpg

IMG_20200713_125951.jpg

, then I can just about manoevre the aerial socket in.

IMG_20200713_130150.jpg

Do I need that bit that I've had to remove? (above photo). As there is no way to get the aerial into the tv with it on. :(

Anyway, the search for channels brings up these..

IMG_20200713_130959.jpg

but then it says AGAIN No signal

I have moved the aerial bit around. . No luck. Any advice welcome please. The aerial is an AVTEX with two loops on either side.

Also, where do I put this separate 'aerial' (???). please?
IMG_20200713_130220.jpg

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
When I had the Bongo, I had an external TV aerial that clamped to the bumper, it had to be set up every time but it worked very well. It did take up a lot of space though.

OP
OP
movan

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
If it's for the van how about a suction mount aerial with the cable coming in through a window? Will, almost certainly, be much better than an internal one.

Is my last picture above a suction one please? But it is freestanding and doesdn't have anywhere to connect the wire.

OP
OP
movan

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
When I had the Bongo, I had an external TV aerial that clamped to the bumper, it had to be set up every time but it worked very well. It did take up a lot of space though.

Space is at a premium I'm afraid.

The Avtex is supposed to be good... A very kind funster sent it to me as it wasn't needed by them... I just couldn't get it to work.

It will be ME doing something wrong. I can't do techno stuff. :(

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
For the van - Avtex STH3000
Needs a power source though
Amazon Link

sth300-avtex-antennas-products.png

movan Have one of these since getting Moho... However,.. it's an avtex / Ariel combo... i.e.. I have the tele..

used to sick it outside... but the sucker (and bendy bit) has given up.. and broke..

So now only use inside... propped up on either main skylight (inside) or on the coat hanger .. just inside door... depending where I is...

mostly get 100+ channels.. or 154 on a good day.. can't remember my max... but I was well happy :cool:

Stonemags76

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2011
Derbyshire Dales
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleepers Warwick Duo
Exp
Full Time 2011-2013, now part timers!
Is my last picture above a suction one please? But it is freestanding and doesdn't have anywhere to connect the wire.
That bit is the suction for the Avtex aerial. You shove the straight black bit up the hole in the white plastic of the aerial. You might have to adjust the screw that holds it in, then you stick the round bit, complete with aerial on the outside of the van & shove the wire through the window to the tv. Think the bit you took off is the power bit for the aerial. Not sure if it will work without it. Hope that helps!

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Motorhoming since 2015......
‘Do I need that bit that I've had to remove? (above photo). As there is no way to get the aerial into the tv with it on. :(

The bit with the white plastic ring around it looks as if it should pull off the cable - it looks like a joint to me. Try taking it off and then connecting the cable to your tv. It may also be a gender changer (female to male?)

Stonemags76

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2011
Derbyshire Dales
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleepers Warwick Duo
Exp
Full Time 2011-2013, now part timers!
If you can see any houses or any vans, point the aerial where they are pointing theirs, & then retune the tv. It sometimes takes ages to tune in, so be patient & wait til it’s finished!

OP
OP
movan

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
movan Have one of these since getting Moho... However,.. it's an avtex / Ariel combo... i.e.. I have the tele..

used to sick it outside... but the sucker (and bendy bit) has given up.. and broke..

So now only use inside... propped up on either main skylight (inside) or on the coat hanger .. just inside door... depending where I is...

mostly get 100+ channels.. or 154 on a good day.. can't remember my max... but I was well happy :cool:

That's what I've got.. :).. AERIAL but not tv.

OP
OP
movan

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
If you can see any houses or any vans, point the aerial where they are pointing theirs, & then retune the tv. It sometimes takes ages to tune in, so be patient & wait til it’s finished!

Thank you. I did wonder where I was supposed to stick it.

I'm worried though as I can't connect the aerial to the tv with that extra bit on. :(. Wonder if it's safe to saw a chunk out of the plastic ridge on the tv under the socket where I put the aerial to the tv?

First 2 pics.

Langtoftlad DP+JAY funflair

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Thank you. I did wonder where I was supposed to stick it.

I'm worried though as I can't connect the aerial to the tv with that extra bit on. :(. Wonder if it's safe to saw a chunk out of the plastic ridge on the tv under the socket where I put the aerial to the tv?

First 2 pics.

Langtoftlad DP+JAY funflair
Sorry I didn’t use the ‘quote’ button on my last post (#43)! Try taking the little metal/plastic tip off the black cable, receiver-end, and plugging the cable into the tv....

It should just pull off......no need to use force!

OP
OP
movan

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Sorry I didn’t use the ‘quote’ button on my last post (#43)! Try taking the little metal/plastic tip off the black cable, receiver-end, and plugging the cable into the tv....

It should just pull off......no need to use force!

Sorry, Andy. I didn't see your post. That is most helpful. I will try again when I go back up to storage tomorrow..

.. ALlthough I may still have the issue re not enough leverage to get it into the tv. Can I come back to you tomorrow if I have a question on that once the plastic bit off please. Thank you.

Bustup15

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 25, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs I 7820-2
Exp
New to motorhomes 2019
Ive just bought a Ballade indoor/outdoor aerial as moho currently didnt have one but has satellite and streaming. I assume the same as funflair ?

I tried it indoors at home on a smart tv sitting on a floor cabinet just to see what happened.

100+ channels and fantastic reception - very impressed as the tv mast is in the opposite direction on the other side of the house and we have large trees in front.

Bought a basic external aerial from Screwfix as I assumed we must be getting a very strong signal in that room. Ran a coax out and mounted aerial. Nope! Crap reception breaking up on ALL channels.

I've just ordered another Ballade for about £40 delivered and will scrap the new external aerial.😡

Took the Ballade to the storage yard, connected it up to 12v, mounted it internally behind the tv sat on a shelf. Scanned the channels and got the same result 100+ all with good reception.

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Sorry, Andy. I didn't see your post. That is most helpful. I will try again when I go back up to storage tomorrow..

.. ALlthough I may still have the issue re not enough leverage to get it into the tv. Can I come back to you tomorrow if I have a question on that once the plastic bit off please. Thank you.
No problem. PM sent.

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
1) For the aerial signal path, use as few adapter cables & connectors as possible.

2) Does the red led shown on the Receiver/Antenna part come on?
It looks like there’s an unused socket on the side of that part that could need power. 😳

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
1) For the aerial signal path, use as few adapter cables & connectors as possible.

It looks like there’s an unused socket on the side of that part that could need power. 😳
That’s what I was wondering too.......

OP
OP
movan

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07

Do you mean the bit I removed in order to get the aerial socket into the tv? I don't know as I couldn't get it into the tv socket because tbere is a ridge on the tv which is too close to the socket. :(

I will try again tomorrow after removing the white plastic bit to see if I can get it into the tv socket..

Logging off now. Thank you all.

Tomorrow is another day. :)

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
That’s what I was wondering too.......
But, of course, the power comes from the tv via the aerial socket.....if it’s enabled in the tv ’settings’ menu........

:unsure:

Oct 22, 2019
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640 welcome
Exp
Since October 2019
I got an avtex as well - first time I used it was brilliant - great signal . 2nd time no good but mind you I was three sheets to the wind

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Sorry for delay. Just logged on.

As others have said I think you may have one of these (or similar) on the end of your TV lead. The one shown is a female to female so wouldn't fit into the TV anyway.
1594665250026.png

If so, pull it off and try again without it.
If it's not try one of these
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-...0001&campid=5338547443&icep_item=191898522163
1594665406888.png

Downside of this though is the cable will come out at a right angle to back of TV and it's another connection in the "chain".

As others are debating is there a power socket on the side of the black box? If so, will you need a power source for it.
As also said, the TV itself may be able to supply power via the aerial cable and if it does there will be a setting in the TV menu to turn off \ on.

OP
OP
movan

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Sorry for delay. Just logged on.

As others have said I think you may have one of these (or similar) on the end of your TV lead. The one shown is a female to female so wouldn't fit into the TV anyway.
View attachment 406873
If so, pull it off and try again without it.
If it's not try one of these
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-...0001&campid=5338547443&icep_item=191898522163
View attachment 406876
Downside of this though is the cable will come out at a right angle to back of TV and it's another connection in the "chain".

As others are debating is there a power socket on the side of the black box? If so, will you need a power source for it.
As also said, the TV itself may be able to supply power via the aerial cable and if it does there will be a setting in the TV menu to turn off \ on.

Got a bit confused on the last paragraph. I'm logging off but will hopefully understand a bit more when the tv and aerial are in front of me tomorrow.

Thanks again everybody. :)

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Got a bit confused on the last paragraph. I'm logging off but will hopefully understand a bit more when the tv and aerial are in front of me tomorrow.

Thanks again everybody. :)
OK, get back to the gang tomorrow and I'm sure you'll get sorted!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back