LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Can anyone recommend an indoor television aerial that actually works, please.

TThank you.

POH

May 29, 2018
Funster No
MH
Pilote 740c
Exp
5 years
Just bought a Avtex indoor one and it works in the van at home after a bit of moving about , I don't normally get a signal on the drive due to some big trees in next doors garden will have to see if its any good when on site in the New forest on the 19th .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 24, 2014
North cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Peugeot Boxer Symbol Auto
Exp
since 2010
I bought one of those flat ones that stick on a window, I think most brands are as good as each other, I found them the best, they have a long lead which will reach pretty well anywhere. šŸ

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
It depends where you live Joy and how good the signal is as to what works and what doesn't, I have just put an omnidirectional Ballade supergain in the van and it seems to work really well, being omnidirectional means no messing about to get a signal but if it's fixed in the house it might be no hardship to mess about the once.

Martin

Deleted User
Have you thought about data? We use 2 Amazon firesticks tethered to our WiFi. It just needs a power supply and an HDMI socket on your TV and works almost anywhere in the house. You have to sign up to Amazon to use it and if you want more subscribe to Prime and get the extras. We also take it in the van to use instead of an aerial and tether it to our phones. šŸŒ

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Have you thought about data? We use 2 Amazon firesticks tethered to our WiFi. It just needs a power supply and an HDMI socket on your TV and works almost anywhere in the house. You have to sign up to Amazon to use it and if you want more subscribe to Prime and get the extras. We also take it in the van to use instead of an aerial and tether it to our phones. šŸŒ
I think it might be simpler and cheaper to find an Aerial especially if it just in the house.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Indoor TV aerials work good when your in a strong signal area.
Indoor TV aerials work crap when your in a weak signal area. šŸ‘šŸ˜

movan for house or in the van ??
For home you may be ok depending on reception / signal strength in your area,
For the van it will be different in every location you move to.

OP
OP
movan

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
movan is this for your van or your house
It's for the Van please.

Went to Curry's after buying and returning one from Argos and one from the internet.... Neither of which worked.

Curry's didn't have one as they said I need one with a 50mile radius. ????? I'm not technical so couldn't argue but that sounded unlike any I had previously had.

Last edited:
OP
OP
movan

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Indoor TV aerials work good when your in a strong signal area.
Indoor TV aerials work crap when your in a weak signal area. šŸ‘šŸ˜

movan for house or in the van ??
For home you may be ok depending on reception / signal strength in your area,
For the van it will be different in every location you move to.

Hi Tonka.. Please see above message to Silver Fox. The guy in Curry's said something about Winter Hill being too far away (?)....

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
If it's for the van how about a suction mount aerial with the cable coming in through a window? Will, almost certainly, be much better than an internal one.

OP
OP
movan

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
If it's for the van how about a suction mount aerial with the cable coming in through a window? Will, almost certainly, be much better than an internal one.
Thank you. I am going up to the storage today and will photo some wires (aerial wires) which are in the mh but don't seem to be attached to anything. I don't have an aerial on the van. Do electrical shops or Caravan suppliers sell suction aerials?

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Joy, Ann (newfpark) uses a suction one and seems to get good results. Iā€™m seeing her tomorrow so will ask which one she has - you may need to remind me as 24 hours is a long time for my memory!!!

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
For the van - Avtex STH3000
Needs a power source though
Amazon Link

sth300-avtex-antennas-products.png

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Thank you. I am going up to the storage today and will photo some wires (aerial wires) which are in the mh but don't seem to be attached to anything. I don't have an aerial on the van. Do electrical shops or Caravan suppliers sell suction aerials?
Just as examples and not recommendation but
<Broken link removed>

father used an alternative method for his caravan like this attached to his tow hitch
<Broken link removed>

You can even get suction mounts that will take the pole and aerial shown above.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Another recommendation is to get a Transmitter finder app for your phone - very useful in 'finding' the strongest transmitter in your area and whether to have the aerial vertical or horizontal.
Don't forget you most likely have to 'retune' your TV each new location.

I used to use this one:
UK Aerial Alignment

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Just another "out of the box thinking" (yeh way out of the box!).
You don't happen to carry a whirly gig clothes dryer? If so could to fix the aerial \ pole to that?
Anyway, off back to shutting the lid on the box!:rolleyes:

BriannYe

LIFE MEMBER
May 4, 2017
Southampton, UK
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Pulse
Exp
movan We bought one of these primarily to use when staying at parents house as carer. However we did use it in our caravan at the time whilst in the New Forest on a site that was surrounded by trees. I was amazed at how good the reception was. In fact better than either a max view or full outdoor aerial we had used in the past.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200704-114006_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200704-114006_Chrome.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 85

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
We are going to Rutland water which last time we were there was not brilliant for TV so will try the new one and report back.

Martin

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Buy a cheap normal house aerial and mount it on a broomstick (no shortage of them on here :Eeek: ) within view of telly and rotate slowly until good picture. šŸ¤ž
You need to watch what house aerial you get though as some are a nightmare to store in the van.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Just bought a Avtex indoor one and it works in the van at home after a bit of moving about , I don't normally get a signal on the drive due to some big trees in next doors garden will have to see if its any good when on site in the New forest on the 19th .
Yup have one of these as well and they are pretty good. The issue with radio waves is that they are like puppies they go where they want when they want. So to answer the question an outside Ariel will always be better but there is no garuntee it will work. You may also want to down load an app that tells you the compass bearing of the Transmitter that should cover the area you are in.

OP
OP
movan

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Thanks everybody. Will think about it tomorrow.. Really really appreciate your help.

Bearing in mind my mh has NO tv aerial, can you suggest what these aerial wires can be used for.

The cupboard has two wires: one is an aerial wire.. Don't know where the other end goes!!! Then there is an aerial wire comes from the ceiling to the chair by the table. Again no aerial so don't know where the other end of the wire goes.

Then there are these sockets in a cupboard. None of them seem to be live. Would it just be a fuse somewhere at fault?

Thank you.
IMG_20200704_151641.jpg

IMG_20200704_151821.jpg

IMG_20200704_151845.jpg
IMG_20200704_151724.jpg

Last edited:

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
It's for the Van please.

Went to Curry's after buying and returning one from Argos and one from the internet.... Neither of which worked.

Curry's didn't have one as they said I need one with a 50mile radius. ????? I'm not technical so couldn't argue but that sounded unlike any I had previously had.

Might be worth getting one you can stick on the van side or roof and bring the coax through a door and the rubber seal will close around the cable.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Might be worth getting one you can stick on the van side or roof and bring the coax through a door and the rubber seal will close around the cable.
You can do exactly that with the Avtex Ariel it comes with a stick and sucker My home Ariel has a booster and in the loft the Avtex works in my lounge admitedly I used a 12v supply so the booster worked. If you have an Avtex TV the power is provided by the tv itself via the Ariel input on the tv.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back