Indoor Storage vs Outdoor Storage (1 Viewer)

Husky

Free Member
Sep 7, 2017
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero 714SB
Exp
Since March 2017
Our 2017 motorhome is currently kept outside on a farm I have been given the opportunity to store MH inside a farm barn.
Advantage: barn is netted so no bird poo. MH will sit on concrete rather than dirt. Weather won't get to MH.
Disadvantage: solar panel won't be able to charge vehicle or habitational batteries.

What are your thoughts?

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
If it's a long term plan, mount a small solar panel on the barn & feed it to the motorhome.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Husky

Husky

Free Member
Sep 7, 2017
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero 714SB
Exp
Since March 2017
Teemyob. In the wintertime we use MH every 3 weeks or so hopefully battery should be ok. There is no EHU in storage area (boohoo).

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Personally, I'd get it inside the barn if possible, provided there's a reasonable free flow of air so it's not too damp.

I hate leaving our van on the drive at home through the winter, so this year it's spending the coldest, wettest months garaged in Spain!

Reference the lack of solar in the barn, is there any chance of a hook-up, even if it's an extra long lead required. The other alternative is to take the van for a drive every two or three weeks, to keep the batteries charged and conditioned.

But I'd find a way to get it in the barn every time.

OP
OP
Husky

Husky

Free Member
Sep 7, 2017
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero 714SB
Exp
Since March 2017
Mikebeaches. Barn in concrete block to 8ft ish then Yorkshire boarding so wind is kept out but good airflow. No EHU available. Whilst I have good washing facilities including the roof my instinct is to get it inside.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Stored my daughter's car in our garage when she went traveling, garage has a thermal block cavity wall so nice and dry. The state her car was in after 3 months covered it dust and dirt I couldn't beleive it, not put a car in there since, rather have them sitting outside in the salt air (200 m from the beach).

Best thing to do with a van in the winter is use it.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Put a new elevated roof on your garage and keep it at home.

IMAG0624.jpg

Total cost about £2000 :cool:

OP
OP
Husky

Husky

Free Member
Sep 7, 2017
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero 714SB
Exp
Since March 2017
Kenny HB. The bulk of the dust and dirt comes from the concrete floor. I've carpeted my garage so the motorbike stays dry and dust free.

OP
OP
Husky

Husky

Free Member
Sep 7, 2017
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero 714SB
Exp
Since March 2017
Richard and Anne. Your fortunate to have the room unlike me. I say "support your fellow Motothomer" and move yours out and put my 8m MH in?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I envy anyone who can store their van indoors.. Even without mains for trickle charging, it's easy enough to disconnect the batteries.. and provided they are fully charged they will stay charged for many weeks.

Outdoors they are subject to all sorts of environmental contamination that can eat paintwork. Algae grows in gutters, under roof lights , window seals, and it eats the mastic in joints.. .. the whole van gets filthy .. also risk of rodents gaining entry and eating wiring.

It's also out of sight of the thieving scrotes..

Of course it's better to use it.. but that's not an option for everyone ..

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I would check as much as possible for small gaps and keep mouse traps in it then keep it indoors

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
We had our caravan stored undercover in one of two very large purpose built metal barns (like aircraft hangers)with roof lights, so it could get a little light through to the solar panels.Optional EHU was too expensive at £1 per day extra
The cost was about £125 dearer than outdoor storage but was still £550 per year. It was on a farm in North Devon with its own fantastic little campsite, and it was great to use as a base camp for touring Devon & Cornwall for the first two years at least. However having now got a new MH, then I agree, they are too expensive to buy, insure and maintain without using them at every given opportunity, even for weekends, just to keep them in tip top condition.
We in some ways really miss Richard & Linda as they were fantastic site hosts, and really did a great job in storage of ours and 300 other vans.
Check out Headon Farm camping and storage in Holsworthy Devon, but they always have a waiting list, victims of their own success some would say.
PS: I should have mentioned that we are lucky enough to be able to store our 7.4Mtr MH on our drive, I do appreciate some may not be so lucky and have no other choice but storage, so indoors in that case would be preferable.
Les

Last edited:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
they are too expensive to buy, insure and maintain without using them at every given opportunity, even for weekends, just to keep them in tip top condition.

very true.. and this was one of the reasons we sold the motorhome and bought a caravan.. at least it's not costing nearly as much while sitting idle.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
I pay for mine to be stored inside and there is not a spot of rust on it, definitely worth it, winter is no good for vans, especially up here!

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
In this storm A huge chunk of badly installed heavy duty fence has just crashed into the drive where I keep the moho at home. So that's just saved me a world of hassle it being in storage :Eeek:

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
36 years and 16 motorhomes
Kenny HB. The bulk of the dust and dirt comes from the concrete floor. I've carpeted my garage so the motorbike stays dry and dust free.
Now that's pure POSH...a carpeted garage :LOL::LOL:(y)

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013

Now that's pure POSH...a carpeted garage :LOL::LOL:(y)

I used a concrete sealer for my garage floor (garage is used as my workshop to restore classic race motorbikes)

Since then there has been very little dust & cleaning the floor is much easier (oil spills especially)

Mind you I'm still POSH - so POSH I get out of the bath to have a wee:)

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
36 years and 16 motorhomes
I used a concrete sealer for my garage floor (garage is used as my workshop to restore classic race motorbikes)

Since then there has been very little dust & cleaning the floor is much easier (oil spills especially)

Mind you I'm still POSH - so POSH I get out of the bath to have a wee:)

The fact you use the word "wee" makes you even more POSH:LOL::LOL::LOL:(y);)

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I would check as much as possible for small gaps and keep mouse traps in it then keep it indoors
I wouldn’t leave anything in the vehicle that might attract rodents. Leave bait outside rather than encourage them in. My rucksack was gnawed through because I’d left a sweet in the pocket – they have a good sense of smell.
To answer the OP, prefer to store your van under cover and check it once a month. That's what I do.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
I wouldn’t leave anything in the vehicle that might attract rodents. Leave bait outside rather than encourage them in. My rucksack was gnawed through because I’d left a sweet in the pocket – they have a good sense of smell.
To answer the OP, prefer to store your van under cover and check it once a month. That's what I do.
I leave a sticky traps to get mice & insects and the special pre packed bait packets (which only have a more localised smell) in the van when parked up.

OP
OP
Husky

Husky

Free Member
Sep 7, 2017
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero 714SB
Exp
Since March 2017
Well guys. It's heavily raining here and I've now moved our Passion Wagon inside a bird free barn. Yorkshire boarding so good air flow with a clean concrete floor. Master vehicle switch is off so no battery loss hopefully but vehicle regularly used so no issues. My phone app will keep me posted about battery condition via the habitation battery.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back