Indiscriminate Trapping by the so called guardians of our countryside. (1 Viewer)

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
Yes I have to agree with you, we have introduced so many non native species into our country to the detriment of many native animals and birds. Maybe they were trying to trap a grey but caught a red as unlike the red only eating seeds and nuts the grey will eat baby birds.

Reactions: f6c

romany

Free Member
Jul 3, 2018
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Wildax aurura xl
Exp
since 2014 camping since1968
It still should not have been set where red squirrels are and if there are greys there then the reds wont last long again its laziness its not hard to find the greys and their dreys and shoot them as i do here with air rifle

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
Not condoning the trapping but the Red squirrel so many people love and care for was itself an introduced species in the 18th century after the native Red was pretty much extinct. Came from Scandinavia I think.

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
Not condoning the trapping but the Red squirrel so many people love and care for was itself an introduced species in the 18th century after the native Red was pretty much extinct. Came from Scandinavia I think.
The ones brought over from Scandinavia were the same species as the ones already living in the UK.

romany

Free Member
Jul 3, 2018
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Wildax aurura xl
Exp
the Grey was introduced in the 1800 and began populating the country when some escaped from captivity the reds history goes back over 10,000 years but during the early 1900 were hit by a squirrel pox thought to be carried by the greys hence no reds where there are greys. I think your getting confused with a release of reds in the 1930-1940 from Sweden who were supposed to be more tolerant of the pox, not sure they were though

romany

Free Member
Jul 3, 2018
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Wildax aurura xl
Exp
Such a shame the greys have almost eiped out the reds bit like the red signal crayfish, i trap these and they are very nice to eat
we used to until Thames water killed everything in the river Thame by keep releasing raw sewage into it for which the y finally got one of the biggest fines a company has had up till then the crayfish were great shame about the signal cray though

Lanerboy

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Carthago 4.9 superior
I have only ever seen red squirrels in scotland when out walking or biking never seen one in england, loads of greys though i have dispatched nearly 40 last year in my garden, they chewed through the wiring to the lights in my log store and i have seen them eating the eggs out the song birds nests they are nothing more than tree rats. Yet the reds are stunning to see and watch

OP
OP
Stewart J
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
I am very fortunate in living in an area where Red Squirrels are still relatively common. Greys are encroaching and we are asked to report sightings to our local Squirrel group who actively trap them and humanely euthanise them (for anyone unaware as they are a non native pest species it’s against the law to release them). There is a speciality butcher shop in Corbridge which sells the meat it’s supposed to be very tasty, I have never tried it.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....

will they be going back after Brexit ...... ;) ?

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
I am very fortunate in living in an area where Red Squirrels are still relatively common. Greys are encroaching and we are asked to report sightings to our local Squirrel group who actively trap them and humanely euthanise them (for anyone unaware as they are a non native pest species it’s against the law to release them). There is a speciality butcher shop in Corbridge which sells the meat it’s supposed to be very tasty, I have never tried it.
That's got o be worth a try, wonder is it like Guinea pig (or just chicken)??

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back