Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
driving to the aire at Bury St Edmunds last night and I noticed that every time I put the indicator on, all indicators flashed as if I had pressed the hazard button. The only thing that didn't flash was the hazard warning lamp on the dash. We have a towbar fitted and the tell tale lamp for that lights up with every flash too
Any ideas what's causing this? Vehicle is a Swift on a Ducato 2.5 tdi cat. 1997
I did find a repeater lamp that wasn't working but that was just a bad connection and it works now.

OP
OP
Allanm

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
I had a bad earth on the main battery earth lead a while ago and fixed that, I am leaning towards a bad earth somewhere too. I will be taking all the lights apart shortly to check connections. Just as soon as I have got up and had a coffee....

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
my money will be on the tow bar wiring, how recently was that fitted and was anything plugged into the tow bar electrics when this happened ?

OP
OP
Allanm

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
The towbar was fitted a good few years ago. I have never used it
Everything was fine yesterday, van was parked all day, we got into it last night and noticed the indicators were misbehaving.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
we drove home yesterday in really wet conditions, I would reckon you have got a damp connection somewhere, or possibly did have, it might even have corrected itself now (until next time)

still think the towbar connections could be the weakest point, as usually least well sealed and normally mounted lowest

intermittent faults don't you just love them o_O

OP
OP
Allanm

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
intermittent faults don't you just love them o_O
My favourites. :madder:
Still faulty this morning
Had a good look round this morning. Removed rear lights and checked all connections, all seem good. Indicator switch looks good, all lighting earths look good under the bonnet, though I might just give them a clean up when I can find the right size spanner to undo the bolt. Found the flasher relay and all connections seem good. Haven't had a chance to check towbar connections yet but will do as soon as I can. Damp leaves on the ground here and nothing to lie on.
Raining now so time for a cuppa

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Good chance the electric connections for the tow bar electrics will be those little blue plastic thingies that snip and join cables

Best of luck with it (y)

If you have breakdown cover would this be something they might cover, technically it is not fit to or safe to drive

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
Just do not take it to the Fiat dealer in Bury St Ed's. They haven't a Scooby Do. :(

It may be your bodywork computer screwing the CANBUS. Had to change ours a couple of months ago after several incidents and then it failed completely. Hope it isn't that and you get it sorted, but if you can't, and need a dealer in the area, I suggest you go to D Salmon at Weeley on the way to Clacton.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Similar symptoms - was quickly traced thanks to advice from here as to where to look - to the power connection for the reversing camera taken from reversing light.
Had been working fine, until it wasn't.
So I'd agree - towbar electrics

OP
OP
Allanm

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
Well, fingers crossed, it all appears to be working properly now. I removed the panel with the hazard switch and indicator tell tale in. Disconnected the wiring block from the back of the hazard switch and turned the indicators on. Nothing. Reconnected the block. All working as it should, but with the tell tale flashing. I'm sure this used to just flash once, but as the indicators are working, I won't investigate further in case I c@ck it all up.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back