Free Member
Jun 4, 2013
South Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
One year
I've posted here before, but not for a while, but I continued membership and reading on and off about everyone's adventures and disasters:
3 years ago my illness took us off the road and last year was the worst when I decided to sell my Adria, (The Kennel). It had been on the drive for two summers with the occasional 30 mile drive, in fact it was all I could see from my bed in the dining room. Last spring we decided to sell, of course at considerable loss, as it was driven off I immediately regretted the decision.
HOWEVER, whilst I still have the big C, my spine problems have improved and I'm feeling a lot better and am now contemplating a re-entry in to motor-homing. The better half is not keen, I think mainly because of her concern for me and the question of could we (I) do it again. Previously, I did everything and she was just a pampered passenger, as was Aero, the choc lab.
I've viewed a few replacements in the last three weeks and am heading to the show at Newbury next weekend, on my own!! Mind you the last time I visited a show I bought the Adria, again on my own. I did see a very nice Hymer a couple of weeks ago, but was told firmly NO. It was only a used one at £79k !!
Anyway, sorry for the long post, but I wanted to get it off my chest.

PS: I am putting a classified on the site today or tomorrow for the Toad, a 60 plate Toyota Aygo (12 months MOT), with an A-Frame which is fully wired and with proper braking system etc. It was only ever used once (as a toad) for about 80 miles, then illness struck. We now have a new Smart which might be a Toad if we jump back in.

I'd appreciate comments on my indecision, good or bad.

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
I'd go for it matey, as long as your reasonably able, you cant take it with you and you will both enjoy the fun meets should you attend any. Everyone is friendly , well most are as well as helpful, and if you have a motorhome problem , there is always someone to help or offer advice . Maybe go for a lower price van this time if you don't want to spend all your dosh, but what else are you going to do with it?

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
If you feel you want more travels buy (y)

If you don't then no your up to it don't :(

Not much help am I :)

As has been said you can't take the money with you it's for spending :D

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
So glad you are able to try MHing again. Good luck with your choice and I'm sure your wife will enjoy it again as its given you a new lease of life .
Look at how Phil @Scout has overcome his cancer and has bought a lovely new van and enjoying trips away. I'm sure he would be happy to chat to you.(y)

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
It would be nice if you could persuade your wife to get more involved with the MH and all it involves so that it doesn't all fall on you. It wouldn't seem to be a good first step to go to the show alone.
I do hope you find a suitable MH and get back on the road. If you do, perhaps buy your wife a MH manoeuvring course, she might get the bug.
Then find the most gorgeous place to go and stay for a weekend.
Wishing you all the best .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
I read your post with interest, and I am pleased for you that you are not letting your illness define your boundaries.

I do think it important to have the support of your other half, she is concerned for you, and doesn't want it to cause you pain.

As long as you can afford it, and have the will and the strength to follow your ambitions, this is an adventure you can both share. I know of several people here who have done so under similar circumstances, and their determination commands respect and support

The decision is yours to take, ideally with the support of your partner. Personally I hope you do make that decision, and enjoy many happy times on the road as the team you have always been

I wish you well

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Compromise with your wife and get a mid range cost one...;) whatever mid range is...?:cool:

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
another one who thinks you should get your wife onboard, did she ever drive the other motorhome? Your health will be a big consideration for both of you.
Perhaps think of something of a size she would be happy with, make sure the casette has wheels too lol.
Please take her with you to the show, you could always settle for the one she dislikes least.

Apr 24, 2012
Worcester
Funster No
MH
RMB Concorde
Exp
Since 2010
If your wife isn't wholly onboard if you think about her picking up some of the tasks before you buy might be a good idea
Size and complexity would be my guidelines - relatively small and without every gizmo would be my personal preference if I had to take on sole responsibility at anytime!

OP
OP
Hillbum

Hillbum

Free Member
Jun 4, 2013
South Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
One year
Thanks for all the comments; having viewed what seemed to be an inexhaustible supply of MH at the Newbury show, I narrowed my preference down to 1 or 2. As the "the other half" wasn't with me I had to track one down for her to view, which to my surprise didn't come with "you decide".
A trip down to Portsmouth this week saw us looking at a Burstner Nexxo twin bed with the added bonus of an automatic coming in to the dealer in a couple of weeks.
However, once we were both in the MH with the to dog and reluctantly agreed it was too small. Odd as it was the same size as our Adria. then the penny dropped, twin beds means you lose quite a bit of space which we had with a french bedded Adria.
We then looked at the same model with a rear toilet, that was great but no garage!! On the up side my wife has agreed to return to MH-ing, if the layout is right for us, such as an Hymer A-class. Still looking!!

Any suggestions?

Ideally 3500kg max as I dropped my C1 entitlement when I was ill, a dealer at Newbury told me that it can take up to a year to get it back. He had a client who lost the MH he wanted because the DVLA took 8 months to reinstate C1

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Remember - trips don't have to be long nor far away.
Might help getting your wife onboard, as she maybe worries about you overdoing things and/or being stranded if you fall ill.

There was a thread here recently about favourite local sites to funsters.

Good luck

Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s
Good luck,health and happiness with whatever you decide to do,enjoy,preferably together.
As has been said,take your good lady and the pup somewhere lovely,walk by the lake together,kiss and enjoy life.
Silly old romantic ain't I.:D

Stretto Boy

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2016
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
Remember - trips don't have to be long nor far away.

Couldn't agree more. We are spending the last 4 nights of our 6 night break at a lovely site only 7 miles from home and we could almost be anywhere. I'm so pleased that you and your beloved seem to be close to agreeing a compromise. As she has agreed to accommodate your wish to return to motorhoming, if it was me (which it isn't) I would give her the final say on layout. I do hope it all turns out well for you.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Good luck with whatever van you end up with. Happy to hear your wife has agreed to return to motorhoming. Lots of new adventures lie ahead. Enjoy finding them :)

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
The first thing I did after getting over my cancer treatment was buy a new motorhome. That was five years ago and I have no regrets, it was the start of a whole new lease of life.

I also towed my Smart on an A frame. It did suffer from the dreaded wheel wobble from time to time. I found a solution, which I am happy to share if anyone needs it.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Good to read your follow up. Happy for you that your wife interested in buying another. I think you are right to keep to 3500 kg as it took us a year to get C1 retained on licence at 70. It was only done then after a complaint to CEO and MP about the length of time it was taking.
Keep us updated.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back