Inconsiderate parking by motorhome owner. (1 Viewer)

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
We were in Alnwick today in one of the car parks that had 4 free parking bays for motorhomes. Larger bays but obviously not large enough for one prat who decided to occupy 1.1/4 bays thus denying someone else the chance to park near the town centre for nothing.

Jun 10, 2011
Yorkshire (nr. Leeds)
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2011 (so a bit of a newbie)
We've been having the same fun and joy with cars over here in Spain. There's four spaces on our complex and yet one woman with a big Range Rover seems to not be skilled enough to get it between the lines. Some times she's close, but she's yet to get a direct hit.

I just hope she never thinks of buying a motorhome :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We were in Alnwick today in one of the car parks that had 4 free parking bays for motorhomes. Larger bays but obviously not large enough for one prat who decided to occupy 1.1/4 bays thus denying someone else the chance to park near the town centre for nothing.
Should have photographed the van and posted it on forums :D

What amazes me is the regularity with which drivers of small cars fail to park within bays properly.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Don't fully understand this , if the bays weren't big enough for his van what else could he have done, a photo would have been helpful

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Only guessing but I think it might be deliberate - they don't want to risk anyone damaging their vehicle .

And no, I don't park like that but got friends and family who do, I get really embarrassed if I'm in their cars:blusher:

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
Only guessing but I think it might be deliberate - they don't want to risk anyone damaging their vehicle .

And no, I don't park like that but got friends and family who do, I get really embarrassed if I'm in their cars:blusher:

Excately What I do sunny side up if I can't find a space away from everyone, I am aware it's inconsiderate, however the number of times I've been sat in the car waiting for the wife to finish the shopping and seen some women with a couple of crumb snatchers get out of there car and smash the doors against the car next to them while she is busy putting her makeup on in the mirror

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
So basically to put it in a nutshell 'the spaces for cars or motorhomes is too small , in this country we seem to be obsessed with getting as many parking spaces into the smallest/area. I have not only my motorhome but also like a lot of others a private car . my car is a standard size Vauxhall and in most car parks I cannot open my door far enough to get out without the door being against the vehicle parked next to me..

OP
OP
TheTwoOfUs
Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
Just to clarify what I saw. The council have gone out of their way and created 4 large bays suitable for motorhomes and then have gone the extra mile by adding signs to say that these bays are for motorhome use only. Not only that but the parking was free. We watched the motorhome enter the car park and it was guided to the bay by one of the occupants already in the next bay. They parked up so that there was about 4 foot between the two of them. There was more than enough room to park within the lines but they decided that their not so new motorhome needed far more space and as a result they denied someone else the opportunity to park near the town centre.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
As TheTwofUs states, the bays at Alnwick are plenty big enough for motorhomes to park.

In regards to bay sizes generally, they are based on standards which have been set to accommodate the sizes of vehicles for which they are intended at that time. What has happened is that vehicle sizes have increased over the years. Extra width is, I understand, due to extra side impact protection - quite apart from the fact that we now see more and more 4x4 vehicles that simply were not around when the car parks were built.

Do we want to be paying the cost (through extra taxes) of councils repainting bays time and time again (together with the inevitable reduction in number) or put up with having to be a bit careful sometimes?

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
I think the problem is not with the width of the car parking places at supermarkets etc.
Often it's the problem with the width of the passengers in them.

I was waiting in the car for my daughter to swap a top in Asda. A car pulled up at the side of me. A big fat man slammed his cronky old car door into my car and tried to get out.
He eventually did , prising himself out ,arms first upwards, squashing his gut into the window. Not a pretty sight.
Oblivious to me sat in the car.
Then , when wound my window down fuming ,he had the nerve to say I'd parked right over, so it was my fault , I hadn't.

I was equally parked each side of the white lines.
In fact he'd parked so close to the car on the other side. That they wouldn't be able to get in at all at that side!
Fortunately no damage done, I shouted at him that I'd hoped he was going in to buy salad !

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
I have a mini, and someone has parked so close I couldn't get in the car.
I had to ask the really really skinny car park attendant to get the car out for me.
I don't think people realise that 2 door convertibles tend to have wider doors.
As for motor home parking, you should try some of the Aires.
Have been parked so close to next door, we couldn't open our hab doors at the same time lol

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Nothing like a good moan on a Monday morning. ::bigsmile:

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
Great thread!

I hope the motorhome owner currently parked sideways across at least 5 bays in the Sainbury's carpark in Bridgnorth is related to the parking control person because they are not known for taking prisoners.
The rest of the car park is practically empty. :doh:

Ambilkate

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 15, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
HYMER 654
Exp
since 2006
Great thread!

I hope the motorhome owner currently parked sideways across at least 5 bays in the Sainbury's carpark in Bridgnorth is related to the parking control person because they are not known for taking prisoners.

I would have liked to have seen a picture Janine and a picture of the parking control person slapping a fine on the motorhome. We lived in Bridnorth for several years and visit still weekly and have never been able to park in Sainsburys carpark with our 23ft motorhome lol

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Great thread!

Being practically empty what harm is he doing , could he park any other way ?

When we had the RV , 36ft in length, there was little choice but to park lengthways at supermarkets, so always went when it was very quiet.. and left as soon we had re stocked.. Never had a ticket nor hindered anyone else from parking safely..

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
We were in parked up in a Spanish carpark near a beach recently. I had positioned our mh between the two white lines which was a tight fit, even though our vehicle is slim. There would have been space for another van next to us but we had to move over into the next bay because the owner of the vehicle next to us could not get the items in and out of his garage - the door being to the rear on our side. Maybe that kind of issue influenced the parking decision in this case.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I would have liked to have seen a picture Janine and a picture of the parking control person slapping a fine on the motorhome. We lived in Bridnorth for several years and visit still weekly and have never been able to park in Sainsburys carpark with our 23ft motorhome lol
No skill Bill :D We visited Sainsburys before leaving Bridgnorth last year. Fairly early in the morning - we parked right at the back and Jill stayed with the van whilst I went in the shop.

OP
OP
TheTwoOfUs
Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
We were in parked up in a Spanish carpark near a beach recently. I had positioned our mh between the two white lines which was a tight fit, even though our vehicle is slim. There would have been space for another van next to us but we had to move over into the next bay because the owner of the vehicle next to us could not get the items in and out of his garage - the door being to the rear on our side. Maybe that kind of issue influenced the parking decision in this case.

'Fraid not - there were no mitigating cicumstances, he was just an inconsiderate b*****d.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back