In terms of Motorhoming how do YOU define freeloading (1 Viewer)

bartiny

Free Member
May 23, 2010
Accrington, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008
I agree @bartiny but their complaint is not about "day trippers" it is about those like us who stay the night .... these are not MY views but the views of many who live at the popular sites and I suspect from what I have overheard and conversations of which I have been privvy (I speak French) that these views are likely to become more common at "over subscribed" holiday sites

Yes, but most of the motorhomers are probably French anyway at certain times of the year :D

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
newbie and learning every day
True @bartiny, as is mine but the chappie inside certainly isn't ... but I don't think the nationality is a question. I suspect the main argument is that they have a facility (tourist area) which they wish to promote for their benefit in the first instance and that they take the hump that others (us) wish to benefit from the resource without paying what they think should be paid albeit that the resource is usually provided by nature in the first instance .... I also recon there is a HUGE portion of jealousy somewhere in there also.

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
garer mon camping-car là où je ne dérange personne , où je ne suis pas en danger, en laissant propre derrière moi.

Exactly park up in peace, safely and leave behind everything clean.... that is wild camping, not freeloading

Right David , so in fact, freeloaders are wild campers who show a finger to the rest of the world , feeling free to do everything they want even if not allowed yes?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Yes, but most of the motorhomers are probably French anyway at certain times of the year :D

I must say ..... you are probably right ! I've moved away with JJ during our summer hols when one French camper dared to park so next to me... I most surely would have heard them (and vice versa) farting! And the aire was huge and empty

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
Jealousy ? No. Some people would not set foot in a c/van or m/home for a Million pounds bribe!. As said in a previous post,words to the effect."A beauty spot,super beach,can be blighted/ruined/spoilt.by rows and rows of m/homes.(They have already got rid of the c/vanners).So the "Tourist" are put off,and the local businesses,councils etc,would have to make do with "Crumbs of comfort" ,provided by the m/homers who may,may not choose to visit.
It is not only site owners who may chivy the local councils,nor the B&B owners,try this true slant.(Local resident councillors) At a council meeting i had to attend,there was an application for a development of about 24 houses. This was rejected,as it would." Spoil the rurialty ? Spelling? of the village. This,in a village where there was not sufficient demand for a bus service,and the village post office and shop had to close. Another councillor from a neighbouring village said," Build them in our village,it would keep our shop open and make us eligable for two buses a day."
So,apply to the local area councils where you want to stay,say Three nights every two years....... I wish you well.
As regards Dumfries mentioned in a post,many times a year,i "Wildcamped" alongside the river,near the weir,centre of town nearly, in a ... Lorry LOL. in the 80's. Could not fault it,chippy,pub,and NO trouble. If you go there soon,let me know if it is still magic.
Tea Bag

OP
OP
W

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Are you serious Roger, in a thread like this where I don't contribute, nor does Mo or many other, THAT alone makes us Freeloaders. No, I can't go along with that.

In your heading you asked "

how do YOU define freeloading.

After your first answer, you said "sorry that one won't wash."

when all he's said is how he sees Freeloading, why ask the question if all you want to do is argue with the replies?
I was not confining "posting" to any particular thread and we all know you and Mo etc post in lots of places, in short you add to the flow of the forum, when no one posts no matter if they have paid up or not then the forum dies hence my reference to them as freeloaders in my eyes (valid or not but serves to remind us that everyone has different ideas) and for once a reference that is not about money as they have already paid but about actually contributing to a community, there will always be those who do not post and in a forum situation one accepts it but it does not alter the facts, good bad or indifferent a forum lives and breaths on posts. I'm not stupid enough to think all non posters will never post, the point I was making is that there are people in all walks of life who take more than they give back, it is not nice to be thought of as a freeloader.
The excuses people use to call others freeloaders are not usually valid, they are most often just a way to abuse people. Anyone can do it without even trying, hee hee.

OP
OP
W

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Well if you think that, you have no idea how the internet now works. forums like this one are part funded by targeted adverts and page views. I dont recall the exact figures but 1.5million page views per month keeps the cash rolling in to help fund the servers etc
with no posts there is no forum, no view, no revenue for anyone simples.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
To me the biggest freeloaders are those who read forums but never post themselves it does not matter if they pay for the privilege or not, they do not contribute to the general well being of the community
So Roger, what you are saying is, in effect, anyone who goes to a library to read but doesnt write a book is a freeloader

OP
OP
W

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
you missed the fact that I was making a point John, everyone has the possibility to see things differently it is no excuse to go insulting people. A library is set up for people to borrow/read books. A forum is to EXCHANGE information it cannot be a one way affair. It is so damned easy to read something and feel insulted by it.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
I was not confining "posting" to any particular thread and we all know you and Mo etc post in lots of places, in short you add to the flow of the forum, when no one posts no matter if they have paid up or not then the forum dies hence my reference to them as freeloaders in my eyes (valid or not but serves to remind us that everyone has different ideas) and for once a reference that is not about money as they have already paid but about actually contributing to a community, there will always be those who do not post and in a forum situation one accepts it but it does not alter the facts, good bad or indifferent a forum lives and breaths on posts. I'm not stupid enough to think all non posters will never post, the point I was making is that there are people in all walks of life who take more than they give back, it is not nice to be thought of as a freeloader.
The excuses people use to call others freeloaders are not usually valid, they are most often just a way to abuse people. Anyone can do it without even trying, hee hee.
Teabag lorries have been moved from the riverside to town centre so plenty of rooms for Motorhomes, when you used to visit you more than likely visited The Whitesands Inn later to be The Poachers Rest this was my parents pub.

bryandh

Free Member
Jan 17, 2011
Malaga, Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class. FFB Tabbert 570
Exp
Since 2010
Met a guy last winter at very crowded Castro Marim aire, in Portugal who proudly boasted having been on the aire since October (this was early January). Asking for directions to local supermarket he replied that he had no idea........ As he always crossed back over the border into Spain "cos its cheaper".
Can think of many words, but freeloader will have to do here!!!!!

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
Met a guy last winter at very crowded Castro Marim aire, in Portugal who proudly boasted having been on the aire since October (this was early January). Asking for directions to local supermarket he replied that he had no idea........ As he always crossed back over the border into Spain "cos its cheaper".
Can think of many words, but freeloader will have to do here!!!!!
most do it and get cheaper fuel and gas while there as well. hundreds of the locals do it as well.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
come on how many from uk have done a beer /wine run to france and bought some fags /tobacco. even filled up with fuel.
i can admit i,m still using spanish diesel in my truck.
500ltrs might even last me till i get back to spain .
i certainly havent bought any beer wine or spanish brandy since i came back and certainly wont be.
its just a normal thing to do.

bryandh

Free Member
Jan 17, 2011
Malaga, Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class. FFB Tabbert 570
Exp
Since 2010
most do it and get cheaper fuel and gas while there as well. hundreds of the locals do it as well.

Would guess that the "locals" are entitled!

Bryan

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Well I must be Freeloading tonight, in the middle of the Greek countryside, no one else around nearest village about 2 miles away, drove through earlier didn't even appear to be a shop to spend money in and I'm freeloading on the village free wifi hot spot.

But, Thursday Freeloaded at Itea, had a few beers in a bar and did some shopping next morning, & filled up free with water, went back there last night and we had a meal in a restaurant, it just not always possible to spend money in the local community, but we do when we can.

Us Freeloading

20150919_185823.jpg

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
with no posts there is no forum, no view, no revenue for anyone simples.

True yes but that is not what you are saying, you are saying that Everyone most post merely to avoid becoming labelled as a Freeloader, so I put it to you Roger that you have not thought your argument through.

Many times I see a thread begin with " Silly question but how do you etc"

Now I didn't write it but I'm surely going to follow this thread because I want to know the answer too, add to that the fact that there are extremely talented people replying to these threads like @pappajohn and @Techno100, why on earth do I need to contribute to this thread when I can sit back and learn or enjoy the answer.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Right David , so in fact, freeloaders are wild campers who show a finger to the rest of the world , feeling free to do everything they want even if not allowed yes?
Well I must be Freeloading tonight, in the middle of the Greek countryside, no one else around nearest village about 2 miles away, drove through earlier didn't even appear to be a shop to spend money in and I'm freeloading on the village free wifi hot spot.

But, Thursday Freeloaded at Itea, had a few beers in a bar and did some shopping next morning, & filled up free with water, went back there last night and we had a meal in a restaurant, it just not always possible to spend money in the local community, but we do when we can.

Us Freeloading

View attachment 76258
But you do put money into local businesses when you can as you say above - not freeloading

OP
OP
W

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
True yes but that is not what you are saying, you are saying that Everyone most post merely to avoid becoming labelled as a Freeloader, so I put it to you Roger that you have not thought your argument through.
no you are assuming that is what I am saying, I would not dream of such an insult. you are playing word games Griff and I don't want to play any more, hee hee.
The way people try to twist what you say to put your words in the wrong context is one of the reasons I never take part in debates about religion, sport, or politics. This has been an enlightening thread that has revealed quite a lot to me and no doubt others. We are all different and the arguments put forward are all different. Interestingly almost everyone steered clear of labeling fulltimers one way or another. So a certain modicum of commonsense has prevailed or it would have become a them and us thread. We are all motorhomers, we are all Travelers, we all have that gypsy streak in us or we would just take package holidays. We are all individuals with individual ways of looking at life. Enjoy yourselves.

Eve

Free Member
Jan 29, 2015
Kent
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
20 years
Many years ago when the ferry had a stupid offer on, £15. For a day trip,I went every week,the Euro was about 1.60 to the pound!! All basic shopping done,wine ,petrol, everyone loves a bargain!!!!

So do I get a badge for being a freeloader?????

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Many years ago when the ferry had a stupid offer on, £15. For a day trip,I went every week,the Euro was about 1.60 to the pound!! All basic shopping done,wine ,petrol, everyone loves a bargain!!!!

So do I get a badge for being a freeloader?????
Nope. No free badge. You spent money in a local economy, thus breaking an essential freeloaders rule.....

When I lived in Switzerland, most shopping was done in Ferney Voltaire just the other side of the airport.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
If I pay a parking fee to stop overnight somewhere I've already contributed to the local economy.
If the overnight parking is free and I've visited a local visitor site and/or bought something in a shop or eatery I've contributed to the local economy.
If the overnight parking is free and I move on next day without buying anything or visiting anything I comfort myself in the knowledge that I am contributing to their national economy through the diesel I bought and the toll fees I paid to get there.

I can park for free in my local town - that doesn't mean I have to automatically buy something if there's nothing I need or want.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
If I pay a parking fee to stop overnight somewhere I've already contributed to the local economy.
If the overnight parking is free and I've visited a local visitor site and/or bought something in a shop or eatery I've contributed to the local economy.
If the overnight parking is free and I move on next day without buying anything or visiting anything I comfort myself in the knowledge that I am contributing to their national economy through the diesel I bought and the toll fees I paid to get there.

I can park for free in my local town - that doesn't mean I have to automatically buy something if there's nothing I need or want.
Yes, but the point is that a number of people make a point of not spending money and not contributing.....

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Do you know what I don't give a monkeys what anyone thinks if I choose to stay on a site which I often do that's my choice and if I choose to wildcamp/freeload somewhere and that feels right that's what I'll do. Can never understand why people get worked up about what other people do.

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
no you are assuming that is what I am saying,

Here are your words Roger ......... "when no one posts no matter if they have paid up or not then the forum dies hence my reference to them as freeloaders in my eyes."

Now tell me again I'm assuming that is what you're saying.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
Yes, but the point is that a number of people make a point of not spending money and not contributing.....
many of us make a point of not spending much here in uk as well. but if abroad do buy diesel . buy in supermarkets . that gives jobs . buy gasbottles etc . might not use bars or restaurants . but dont use them here either . i really cant remember the last time i went in a uk pub or restaurant.
i try my best to use solar at home and away . use rainwater for many things . but do pay meter charges etc . so far this summer i know i have only spent 120 pounds on leccy . and possibly another 40 will be all. water just got the bill for last quarter have used 3cubic mtr of water.
i thought it was sensible to be careful what you use or spend money on . mind i do use petrol in my m,bikes when here . dont use the truck much.
havent had my gas tank filled for 3 years . still pay a charge . but being careful does seem to be a crime . or have i got it wrong .
i do pay rates here so maybe that makes it right .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back