In terms of Motorhoming how do YOU define freeloading (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
W

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Why do people have to sort everyone into boxes and presume they are better than everyone else. I am constantly amazed by things said by ordinary people in relation to others. If people were to live and let live the world would be a happier place. Call me anything you like as long as it is not late for dinner, but DON'T look down your nose at me (not aimed at Buttons before anyone complains).

Anything that causes councils to install restrictions like hight barriers or no overnighting. Thanks freeloaders you have reduced my motorhoming pleasure.
inconsiderate or disgusting users maybe but not necessarily freeloaders in the true sense of the word. Parking by the sea to fish all night, or parking close enough to launch a kayak that cannot be carried miles by a disabled user. Is that freeloading? I would not say so yet we still get the label.

Unable to walk far but still able to sit and look out of a window, watch the sea, the birds or people watching, why should I not, I pay car tax, insurance and MOT in full on two vehicles yet only do around 5000 miles a year, when in one vehicle the other is parked on private property so in effect I pay double that paid by non motorhomers yet often am afforded less opportunities to park.

That is not freeloading that is a denial of my rights to a normal life. I don't want to park on a campsite when on holiday. I do enough of that all summer providing a safe haven for those who prefer to do so.

It seems to me most people who complain about freeloaders are trying to shame people into paying to be someplace they don't want to be let alone pay for the privilege, it is not about ability to pay. (If they can afford a motorhome they can afford to pay! often quoted is a stupid way to look at things) It is just a way of insulting other people, not a nice trait for anyone to have.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
quote: (If they can afford a motorhome they can afford to pay! often quoted is a stupid way to look at things)

Have to agree with you there, Roger. Sick of hearing this statement. I struggle, as I know do some others, to keep my mh on the road despite having worked long and hard since leaving school ... even through serious ill health.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Why do people have to sort everyone into boxes and presume they are better than everyone else. I am constantly amazed by things said by ordinary people in relation to others. If people were to live and let live the world would be a happier place. Call me anything you like as long as it is not late for dinner, but DON'T look down your nose at me (not aimed at Buttons before anyone complains).

inconsiderate or disgusting users maybe but not necessarily freeloaders in the true sense of the word. Parking by the sea to fish all night, or parking close enough to launch a kayak that cannot be carried miles by a disabled user. Is that freeloading? I would not say so yet we still get the label.

Unable to walk far but still able to sit and look out of a window, watch the sea, the birds or people watching, why should I not, I pay car tax, insurance and MOT in full on two vehicles yet only do around 5000 miles a year, when in one vehicle the other is parked on private property so in effect I pay double that paid by non motorhomers yet often am afforded less opportunities to park.

That is not freeloading that is a denial of my rights to a normal life. I don't want to park on a campsite when on holiday. I do enough of that all summer providing a safe haven for those who prefer to do so.

It seems to me most people who complain about freeloaders are trying to shame people into paying to be someplace they don't want to be let alone pay for the privilege, it is not about ability to pay. (If they can afford a motorhome they can afford to pay! often quoted is a stupid way to look at things) It is just a way of insulting other people, not a nice trait for anyone to have.

I'm all for live and let live
I'm all for letting people live their lives, how they want to live them.
But I also believe that everyone should abide by the laws and norms of our society.
I agree that Motorhome owners in the UK get a raw deal with regards to parking - but I believe that the changes in parking have partly come about due to residents complaints about Motorhome users who have abused the facilities.
I appreciate your comments about parking close to the water - there is probably no simple solution.
You can choose to live by the laws on the land or you can choose to flout them.

OP
OP
W

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
I appreciate your comments about parking close to the water - there is probably no simple solution.
You can choose to live by the laws on the land or you can choose to flout them.
When did I ever state I could, would, do, flout the laws of the land? I cannot recall doing so. Yet if I legally park and someone complains I am called a freeloader. That is not right. If you are referring to the post regarding free parking illegally in council carparks that is another matter, I just posted the link to show how people are getting away with it. I don't believe I said I agreed with it or would do it, just that it could be done and that was another thread posted as a bit of fun.
If you are going to tar and feather me make sure you have your facts right please.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Eve

Free Member
Jan 29, 2015
Kent
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
20 years
Well I like a bargain,what woman doesn't,t!!!:swear2:
I use air de services when abroad,I think they are reasonable priced,some free,but I do spend my money in local shops and not the supermarkets!!:france::wine:
I don,t like the fact that the two main British clubs,have a strong hold on prices I call them rip of Great Briton.:swear2::whistle2:
I have no problems with people wild camping,!! Some would say that's free loading,but not me,???? Would like to see a system for M/H parking instead of paying ridiculous prices on campsites.

I also believe in live and let live,we are all on different budgets,trying to do the things we like doing Motorhoming!!!
That reminds me I owe Poshscousebird a few drinks,would not like her to think I was free loading, lol:party2:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
As an aside...Many people won't know that the "Freeloading Tossers" term is a bit of a Funster in-joke, and unless you were here five or more years ago, you wouldn't have seen it.

A poster called Weejocky came on berating people who overstayed their welcome at wild camping spots and used this term. At the time he got slaughtered by the community here, (mainly because of his bluntness) but what he foresaw is becoming absolutely true. http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/wild-camping-not.28340/

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
When did I ever state I could, would, do, flout the laws of the land? I cannot recall doing so. Yet if I legally park and someone complains I am called a freeloader. That is not right. If you are referring to the post regarding free parking illegally in council carparks that is another matter, I just posted the link to show how people are getting away with it. I don't believe I said I agreed with it or would do it, just that it could be done and that was another thread posted as a bit of fun.
If you are going to tar and feather me make sure you have your facts right please.
I didn't say you did say you would flout the laws of the land did I?
What I did say was that you could chose to obey them or not - just like the rest of society.

Eve

Free Member
Jan 29, 2015
Kent
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
20 years
See what you mean Jim!!

In my 20 years of travelling 10 as a full timer with my husband we have seen many changes.
It does disturb when you are by barragen in the middle of no where,and a M/H comes along and camps!!!!,yes by all means get a chair out and enjoy the peace!!,but when the gennie goes on,washing machine comes out,and spin dryer,then washing line,and gradually they spread out!! Well that's taking the piss,not fair on locals who come for the view,plus gives a bad name to all wild campers.
Plenty of laundrettes!! Plus wash a few items and hang on back of the van,or go on site for a day and wash,

So I think that's just a bit over the top!!

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
If I can park my Motorhome for nothing I will, not sure this has anything to do with freeloading, if I have to pay, I will, simples, some local authorities actively encourage motorhomes to use their car parks (paying £7 next week at Burry Port Harbour) 20 vans x £7 = £140 plus 40 meals and drinks in the local pub an October boost to the local economy.

It's a real shame more Authorities are not like this in Britain. In France, I keep finding more and more places being made available for "camping cars" in and around small villages, it makes economic sense in my book, to find a bit of scrap land and make it available to camping cars, as I think most people spend at least a couple of quid/euros providing a bit of a boost to the local economy.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
Caravans used to be able to,"Wild camp". Caravans went the way motorhomes are going, years ago,as Jim has posted above. Inconsiderate parking,to many in numbers to,"Blend in" with the locality etc,etc. so there became proper camp sites in the most popular areas,these were/are called"Campsites/CL's/Css's. With all the money sloshing about in m/homers pockets,club together and buy land in the places you wish to park,ie,town/beach front centres,charge a nominal fee,say £5 for 24 hrs,then go and park up.You may even get a grant from local government,for helping to regenerate city centres to help achieve this.
Nobody can then use phrases like Freeloader,Hedgebumper etc. Win,win. Result.
Tea Bag

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
As an aside...Many people won't know that the "Freeloading Tossers" term is a bit of a Funster in-joke, and unless you were here five or more years ago, you wouldn't have seen it.

A poster called Weejocky came on berating people who overstayed their welcome at wild camping spots and used this term. At the time he got slaughtered by the community here, (mainly because of his bluntness) but what he foresaw is becoming absolutely true. http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/wild-camping-not.28340/
Hayleylulu puts a good case for the freeloaders in this thread. I miss his straight talking eloquence.:)

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
To me the biggest freeloaders are those who read forums but never post themselves

Are you serious Roger, in a thread like this where I don't contribute, nor does Mo or many other, THAT alone makes us Freeloaders. No, I can't go along with that.

In your heading you asked "

how do YOU define freeloading.

After your first answer, you said "sorry that one won't wash."

when all he's said is how he sees Freeloading, why ask the question if all you want to do is argue with the replies?

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
If I can park my Motorhome for nothing I will, not sure this has anything to do with freeloading, if I have to pay, I will, simples, some local authorities actively encourage motorhomes to use their car parks (paying £7 next week at Burry Port Harbour) 20 vans x £7 = £140 plus 40 meals and drinks in the local pub an October boost to the local economy.

It's a real shame more Authorities are not like this in Britain. In France, I keep finding more and more places being made available for "camping cars" in and around small villages, it makes economic sense in my book, to find a bit of scrap land and make it available to camping cars, as I think most people spend at least a couple of quid/euros providing a bit of a boost to the local economy.

My point made there in both paragraphs - it is the ones that don't contribute and are actually rather perversely proud of it that many people don't like. Nothing against wild camping at all (not my personal cup of tea, though) but it is right to put something into the community. It is a bit like the contempt in which the French allegedly hold some Dutch caravanners who tour France with their caravans "loaded with potatoes" and don't spend a centime in the local economy if they can possibly help it.....

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
The term is often bandied about what do you consider freeloading and why.

It's 'wild camping' if I'm doing it; it's 'freeloading' if someone else is doing it .......... That would just about seem to sum it up. :wink:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
To me the biggest freeloaders are those who read forums but never post themselves it does not matter if they pay for the privilege or not, they do not contribute to the general well being of the community (othere than making sure Jim has jam to put on his dry crust)
Well if you think that, you have no idea how the internet now works. forums like this one are part funded by targeted adverts and page views. I dont recall the exact figures but 1.5million page views per month keeps the cash rolling in to help fund the servers etc

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
FreeCamping is finding a discrete spot to park for a day or two, taking nothing but photos, leaving nothing but footprints and contributing to local business.

FreeLoading is parking anywhere you want, using facilities without paying, leaving rubbish and not contributing to the local area

WildCamping is like FreeCamping but away from urban areas enjoying the countryside

FreeLoading Tossers are the great unwashed rabble that believe they have a divine right to Freeload and avoid paying for anything whilst taking the maximum possible all the time they can. Often to be seen in groups freeloading and causing disruption for local communities and repeated costs for local councils etc policing and cleaning up after them

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
As a by the by, I do not know what to class us as.
When possible we park up somewhere for free, when we cannot for one reason or other, then we use a site.
If we always had to pay for every night we are on the road, that would severely limit the time we could spend mooching about
If we just park up, we use only the stuff on board, including water, power etc and take with us our grey and black waste..
One camp site we stayed at near Beamish ( £14 a night ) all we used was the elsan point.. One two of the Britstops we used apart from a glass of coke each, we spent nowt ( but as always went in to see the guv'nor and announce our selves before plotting up, and let them know we were leaving the following morning ) .. At another Britstop we spent a fortune in the farm shop...
In other words we tend to do what ever feels 'right on the night'
Whether that makes us part time freeloaders I have no idea !!

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
newbie and learning every day
An argument put forward by an increasing number of inhabitants and buisiness owners in the west and south west of France is that we the MH's are in general the "freeloaders" as we arrive in a hugely popular tourist area and park up thereby not using the hotels/ holiday homes etc and benefit from the "facilities provided by them for the use of the hotel/holiday home renters. Their argument is that they have invested huge amounts in infrastructure to provide for those that use the rental properties thereby justifying the huge weekly "peak season" rentals. Further we do not pay the "tax de sejour" taxes paid by those who pay holiday rentals. I seem to remember hearing of parking fees in excess of 30 euros per night in the Arcachon and Lege Cap Ferret areas ??

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Right ... you might not recognise the words , but to me (when I use this word... which in fact I never do because it is still a foreign word to me!), Freeloading is : garer mon camping-car là où je ne dérange personne , où je ne suis pas en danger, en laissant propre derrière moi.

Working in my house 7/7 with babies and toddlers , yelling, screaming shouting whining, and having people coming to the stadium and going all day long or nearly , my only pleasure is silence, and being on my own or choose the people I want to be with
If I could have this by paying , I would probably do it sometimes. I say sometimes , because I like to choose my surroundings, and I bet I would find a better place FOR ME (may be not suitable for another person).

We are all different, if you are not doing any harm to nature, or people, I don't see why it should be something to hide. I don't see why I should pay for a pitch next to a family with young adults and ...... ahaaaaa..... babies or even older children. !!!!
They want to play, they are happy, and talk loud..... this is normal. But I just don't want this during my holidays, it really makes me grumpy.
A campsite once in a while is ok. But most of the time if it's too noisy I need to leave.

Last edited:

bartiny

Free Member
May 23, 2010
Accrington, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008
An argument put forward by an increasing number of inhabitants and buisiness owners in the west and south west of France is that we the MH's are in general the "freeloaders" as we arrive in a hugely popular tourist area and park up thereby not using the hotels/ holiday homes etc and benefit from the "facilities provided by them for the use of the hotel/holiday home renters. Their argument is that they have invested huge amounts in infrastructure to provide for those that use the rental properties thereby justifying the huge weekly "peak season" rentals. Further we do not pay the "tax de sejour" taxes paid by those who pay holiday rentals. I seem to remember hearing of parking fees in excess of 30 euros per night in the Arcachon and Lege Cap Ferret areas ??

Sorry, but what about day trippers/visitors that just turn up spend the day mooching about, or going to the beech, bringing their own sandwiches and drink etc nobody says owt about them do they?

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
garer mon camping-car là où je ne dérange personne , où je ne suis pas en danger, en laissant propre derrière moi.

Exactly park up in peace, safely and leave behind everything clean.... that is wild camping, not freeloading

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
newbie and learning every day
I agree @bartiny but their complaint is not about "day trippers" it is about those like us who stay the night .... these are not MY views but the views of many who live at the popular sites and I suspect from what I have overheard and conversations of which I have been privvy (I speak French) that these views are likely to become more common at "over subscribed" holiday sites

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
tax de sejour

Thing is taxe de séjour is mainly for the cleaning bit and to empty the dustbins! If people were decent and thought about leaving the place clean, no cleaning team would be needed!

In any case Hotels/resorts will always find a good reason to point out the people they can't get any money from. Far too easy!
On the other hand I can understand the people who have put all their money , usually a whole life time savings, to buy a house , with a beautiful sightseeing, and wake up one morning, finding the front beach full of motorhomes..... I'd be gutted too, TBVH! If people were wilding a bit more , they would not be all stuck together at the same place, annoying the neighbourhood! ..... I think.....

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Freeloading seems to be a derogatory term for people who do something someone else feels is not correct. Its a bit like censorship where someone feels their morals ought to be imposed on others . Its the thin end of a wedge that at the other end is racism and sexism.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back