In France with motorhome for first time (1 Viewer)

Aug 7, 2013
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2013
Hi,

we're at Folkestone camp site and are travelling over to Calais in a few hours. We haven't booked up anywhere based on previous discussions with members and we're getting a bit anxious. I know there are a lot of francophiles out there. Can anyone suggest a good camp site either caravan club or camping and caravanning that we can drive to and have a good chance of booking in. We know about the aires but for the first night we'd like to get into a good camp site. We only want to travel about 150 miles max from Calais and want to travel round Normandy and Brittany for a first visit. There are two motorhomes travelling together, all first timers.

Also if anyone can suggest places of interest, that would be appreciated.

Thanks for any help you can give us.:thumb:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Some great ideas on this thread which I have bookmarked:thumb:

Won't some of these sites be closed this time of year though or do they all open in April?

Back to the OP if you only intend travelling 150 miles you won't get to Brittany I don't think. Honfleur is about a 3 hour drive I think so that is maybe around the 150 mark from Calais.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C
Aug 7, 2013
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2013
How did the first night go?

:cry: or :clap:

At last getting back on. Had varying luck with wifi. Stayed at Neufchatel first night. Just as everyone said fantastic. Also stayed near Deauville and visited Honfleur. Definitely the highlight. Also went down to Noirmoutier-en-l'isle. Another great day. Up at Sainte Malo now visited the centre intra mura. All in all having a great time. Thanks to all who posted. :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C
Aug 7, 2013
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2013
Not sure how far West you are going but have noticed Golf as an interest. The course at Dinard is spectacular, second oldest in France and built by the Brits. Now if you want a lunch with a view then Pleneuf Val Andre golf course is the place. A new restaurant overlooks the Bay of Saint Brieuc and you can also see their signature hole! Then to cap it all there's a nice little Aire in the town. We're heading out end of April to play some golf but probably further down the West Coast. Perhaps we should have a 'Funsters' tournament!

Thanks for info, we are at Sainte Malo just now near Dinard. No way will I be allowed to play golf but would love to. Really enjoying this area. Will be visiting Mont Sainte Michael tomorrow. Although I see that there is a motorhome park there it looks quite expensive. It is free for 30 minutes but that doesn't give enough time to look round. Will see tomorrow. Thanks for your post.:thumb:

Upvote 0
May 23, 2013
Not on the Coast East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B504
Exp
Since 2013
The parking at Mont Saint Michael is very expensive but just on the approach roads are a number of aires which from memory are about euro 7.5 or 10 a night which is a faction of the parking cost and a nice walk/cycle to the Mount.

We found going back in the evening was a much better experience after the crowds of day trippers had left.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Nov 13, 2013
Bideford, Devon
Funster No
MH
Benimar Tessora 487
Exp
since 2011
Golf

I take it from your post that the 'other half' doesn't play golf! I'm lucky mine does and we have some great trips away golfing. Glad you're enjoying Northern Brittany and Normandy, if you have the weather the coastline is stunning.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back