Oct 30, 2014
Sydney, Australia
Funster No
MH
Looking for something
Exp
N00b
It says, "Introduce yourself" so:

Hi. I'm Rob(in). A Pom... erm, sorry - Brit... living in Sydney.

Back in 2012 the wife & I came back to Europe for a year. We bought a Peugeot Partner van and drove around Europe. France, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Italy, etc (you get the idea). We love to cycle and hike, especially in the mountains. Great stuff. We stayed in a lot of gites and hotels and a few camp sites.

We (well - 'I' to be fair - but have talked the wife into it) have always fancied trying this again in a motorhome. So here I find myself, reading this forum and seeing what advice can be gleaned.

We already know life on the road around Europe is easy once you get used to it. We already know that one can easily survive with what can be fitted in the back of a small van. We already know doing this for months on end works for us.

So how much harder can this motorhome lark be? ;)

We are looking for bonus features such as having the ability to free camp in quite a bit (in relative comfort), not having to book, not spending quite so much on lodgings (well - aside from the purchase of a van) which will mean spending more time in places that are outrageously expensive to find hotel accommodation (eg: Norway for one).

As we found it easy to survive all year with what would fit in a small van, are looking for a small motorhome as it must be easily driven on mountain roads.

I believe you would say that we are going from n00bs to wanting to be 'full timers' in the blink of an eye. Like I said, in for a penny... go on... tell me we're mad! ;)

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
WELCOME TO THE FORUM.
ALL I WOULD SAY IS, YOU WOULD BE MAD NOT TO.........................

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Not mad at all. We went for the smallest motorhome which had a proper sized kitchen and a shower/toilet. We also wanted something which was light and airy inside as we avoid being indoors as often as we can but when we must be inside we don't want to feel cooped up as though we were living in a caravan. You can get smaller motorhomes than ours of course but then the cooking and washing facilities tend to get squeezed or jettisoned. I would advise looking for something around 5.5 to 6.0m long. Width is also a factor but as with all things there are trade-offs. Bikes can fit on a rack on the back doors or panel although a tow-bar mounted rack will probably be easier to use and stronger. There is a guide on this website somewhere called "choosing a motorhome" or something like that. It covers some of the pros and cons of the different types.

OP
OP
Rob_in

Rob_in

Free Member
Oct 30, 2014
Sydney, Australia
Funster No
MH
Looking for something
Exp
N00b
Thank you all for the warm welcome :)

You're not mad.

Maybe we both are? My blog from 2012 and yours right now look rather similar ;)

We went for the smallest motorhome which had a proper sized kitchen and a shower/toilet. We also wanted something which was light and airy inside as we avoid being indoors as often as we can but when we must be inside we don't want to feel cooped up as though we were living in a caravan.

If you don't mind me asking, what did that turn out to be?

I have put together a spreadsheet with attributes of each van on one axis and the actual vans on the other. We assigned each attribute an importance. Eg. sleeping more than 2 people would be a very rarely used 'nice to have', being able to store bikes securely in a garage is very useful. Assigned points based on width & length of the vehicle (ease of driving and ability to go anywhere).

Anyhow - so with this in mind vehicles like the Burstner Brevio t 605 & Travel Van t 590 G score well. Interestingly, wider semi-integrated vehicles do not. In order for a wider vehicle to score well it has to be fully integrated like the Itineo FB600 or Pilot G600L. So at least we are getting there with a shortlist to look at when the time comes. Erm... maybe I should start a new thread about this? :D

There is a guide on this website somewhere called "choosing a motorhome" or something like that.

Do you mean this?

Broken Link Removed

To be honest, I think it's all common sense. I do a lot of research before buying anything. We have several months to figure this out so all good :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back