Antony1969

Free Member
Jul 14, 2010
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
has anybody purchased or heard of or had any use of an in car video , If not familiar with them they are fixed to dash and film the road infront and therefore film any traffic incidents

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
there are a few units available that do evidence quality video
they have gps and a shock sensor to trigger the save of recording
from memory around the £200 mark.
www.roadhawk.co.uk

andy

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
Many units available out there some as cheap as £50 - many sell them as accident cameras - if you want to use it for insurance purposes where date time GPS location speed are all recorded then you must use the top spec ones - the cheap ones are fun and may have some images which will prove some points of an insurance claim but the cheap ones need to be stopped to preserve evidence where as the expensive ones will record the fact of an impact and save the evidence for you. In America certain insurance companies will only insure full comp if a accident cam is in operation I understand - Bear in mind if you want full cover you need one at the front and the back of the vehicle !!! As far as people having the evidence used against them if they are in the wrong - the info is on an SD card - if you destroy that then what evidence officer :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Makes for some fun watching though - you know those moments when you are on your own and you see some damn fool move ahead and you try and explain it to others - with a camera you can show them :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
A

Antony1969

Free Member
Jul 14, 2010
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Thanks for replies , much appreciated . Main reason for the camera is that hopefully we are going to do the "Europe" and possibly Morocco trip at some point this year . Thought it may come in handy if any incident should occur for insurance purposes . Foreign languages and all that , if its down on video surely it would make life easier

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
I have the SVC100GPS Smartwitness camera mounted in the front of my car to record GPS, Time and the road ahead etc. I also have the lesser SVC100 camera mounted at the rear of my car to record where I have been and what the view looks like after I have passed.

Yes, they do record lumps and bumps especially well, the GPS is absolutely superb and the speed recording is excellent - all mounted on SD card so I can transfer the reports to my computer at home.

The reason - simple - I use them to assist my failing memory when I am recce'ing sites for the Big Pitch Guide!

Whilst I am driving to the site I want to look at tree cover, overhead bridges, power cables and gates/entry widths, as well as all the entry signs from roundabouts, the width of the roads etc., etc., etc. With both cameras switched on and recording - I have instant playback facilities at home to remind me of where I have been and to see all the things that I missed whilst I was concentrating on the drive.

Total cost around £380 complete - paid for themselves many times over already as far as the work towards the BPG is concerned.

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
I'm riding a 1200GS from London to Beijing via Tibet and Everest base camp::bigsmile:

Whatever you are going to buy there, you will probably get it much cheaper at Argos. :Doh:

What a super journey, though - wish you well on the trip, honestly :thumb:

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
I have one in my MH windscreen. You have to remember to turn it on. Records continuously but does not give GPS or save video after and before on sharp braking. Was a cheap unit from Hendry's Radio.

I like it as I can easily save output to computer and look back at last 2 hours of my journey. Larger card would record for longer.

John

Northerner

Free Member
Nov 29, 2010
Lancashire
Funster No
Exp
I've been considering one of these since I got an email from Novus trying to sell me theirs.

Link Removed

However, I'm leaning towards a Flip or similar HD pocket camcorder. They have a screen and can be used outside the 'van to record anything relevant, such as accident damage etc.

They can be mounted on the dash using a phone mount and you just press one button to start recording. I'm more concerned about recording something that develops as we're driving, and most of us have a passenger who can press the button and even pick up the camera and point it at anything.

The special car models just point forwards. They do record in a continuous loop but that's the only advantage that I can see and most of them need plugging in, so you've trailing wires.

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
CCTV of this type can be purchased cheaply - but you are wasting your money. The quality is so poor, and they will pick up and be set off by speed bumps and the like.

A functional one is still quite expensive, at around £800-1200 for the cameras, Digital hard drive recorders etc but will be reliable and crystal clear. They can also record the inside, should you be broken into, or you can use them to view rear passengers for vehicles with blind spot hab/travel areas. So ideal for watching the kids in that rear lounge!

Flip type cameras will be fine for occasional recording - but will have to be left on. The memory isn't great, as they are meant for recording short films and downloading them - that said could be ok if you want to record a trip through the alps from the cab. You MUST get one with image stabilisation - not many have this, though the flip does.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back