IN-CAB USB SOCKET. IS POWER OUTPUT STABILISED??? (1 Viewer)

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
USB advice guru required (n)

I have a factory fitted USB socket in my MH Peugeot cab and wish to use it to charge/power a small Garmin external GPS device. I've used the socket for music etc with no probs, but am reluctant to try it with the small GPS unit because I'm unsure whether the power-out is stabilised.

The reson I'm reluctant is that I have had a bad experience with a Pound Shop 12v cigar lighter-to-USB Adaptor where it mullah'd a phone!

I'm aware that the two scenarios aren't connected, but I'm now wary of buggering up ( a technical term!) another device.

OR, have I answered my own question whereby if the USB works ok charging/powering an iPod, it should be stabilised and therefore ok with the external GPS.

Should I NOT have this unit plugged in and powered from the USB at ALL whilst in transit, but just use it's internal battery?

PS. The GPS has only one charging method and that is via a USB lead.
PPS. I would be particularly interested from Funster's who use an iPad or iPad mini who use these external stand-alone GPS modules.

Thanks
James

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I charge my Satmap GPS using the USB socket I fitted, both on the move and when stationary. Haven't had a problem with it so far.

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
just check that the output is high enough, some of the modern kit likes a coule of amps or so.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Ummm.. anything from a pound shop should be viewed with scepticism !!
Get a half decent one at about £7 to £10 and it will not only have the equivalent of a T7805 voltage limiter in it.. it is more likely to have a proper voltage control circuit with fold back control to ensure the output remains at 5v

Having said that, in theory even something with a 7805 and a couple of capacitors fitted to it should be fine.. trouble is there are soooo many cheapo control chips around nowadays the cheap things really should not be trusted

Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
got an ipad 5 charging lead from a pound shop, yes cost a pound as opposed the £12.95 for an apple one, would have taken 24 hours to complete a charge thats if I had left it plugged in !!! after a couple of hours it was so hot it was almost glowing and the I pad only registered a 8% battery level. get the decent stuff and it will be fine

OP
OP
wingman

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
Thanks for the replies lads. The £ shop episode is behind me now :crying:but I would still like to hear if the peugeot USB socket is stable enough to run the stand-alone GPS module.
Taa.
James

Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
I don't know if this has had anything to do with your problem but I was told not to have any devices plugged in while starting the engine as it may damage them.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Fire brigade say 80% of house fires are from phone chargers left switched on either with phone or not

gozomike

Funster Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 16, 2010
Warwickshire - sometimes - but not often
Funster No
MH
Wildax Constellation
Exp
Since August 2008
Hi. I think you are meaning the USB socket in the large lockable box in the centre of the cab. I have one which is part of the media player and is intended for a USB stick with MP3 files on it. I am not convinced this is intended to power external devices and probably could not supply enough current to do so.

Mike

OP
OP
wingman

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
That's the one Mike. It's in the lockable box - centre cab. Good point! It's really only for playing media stuff via the radio system. Doh, why didn't I think of it that way.

And the other poster is right about not plugging in delicate gizmos and then starting the engine. Might cause a surge?

Thanks
James

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
As the voltage is tied down to 5v ( either cleverly and properly or indeed cheap and nastily ) the input voltage would either have to drop below 5v ( in which case you aint going anywhere to say the least !! ) or exceed 18v ( minimum ) as that is the highest input voltage the really cheap control chips are good for.. Although most are good for 30v !!

OP
OP
wingman

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
Hi Jaws.
To paint the full picture, I've just started using an iPad Mini in conjunction with CoPilot. As the Mini has no integral GPS, I've got an external Garmin GPS unit.

At the moment, when I return from a journey, I charge this gizmo using the provided and approved USB lead plugged into an official Apple iPhone charger. Obviously, the GPS charge decays during a journey and if I'm not on EHU at the destination I'd have no way of recharging, save for buying a stabilised 12v cigar-to-mini USB charger. That's why I thought of utilising the on board USB socket.

I'd rather not use yet ANOTHER cigar plug because I already have a daisy chain of the bloody things powering anything from e-cigs to a dash cam!

What d'you reckon are my options? Check the voltage of the on-board USB and go for it? (Assuming I know the power carrying pin-outs of the USB - which I don't (n)).

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Wellll.. USB has been standardised for the past 18 years ( at least as far as the voltage supply ).. I should think there would be some pretty well published court cases if a vehicle maker fitted a socket that did not comply ;)

But if you want to check.....Here are the pin out connections for you W M.(y)

usb_skta.gif

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I would fit a proper USB socket if the one you have found doesn't provide suitable power. Much better option than faffing about with cigar lighter adaptors.

OP
OP
wingman

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
Thanks again for all of the replies Gents.
Went out into the sunshine to have a play with the stuff this afternoon. Took an iPod with me, more as a test rig than for the music. Checked the cab USB output voltage too.
The iPod charged ok, so I gave the GPS gizmo a try. The red flashing LED charging indicator light come on and all seems to be ok.

Nothing blew at least! (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back