In at the deep end? Full time and Newbie! (1 Viewer)

Dec 23, 2018
Funster No
MH
Researching which type.
Exp
Future newbie from caravanning for 44 years
Hi,

I wouldn't get too hung up on a particular make, your Hymer or Rapido are great marques but as a full timer you should have two things in mind, layout and payload. The layout needs to really fit your lifestyle, consider what is essential for you. for example, kitchen size, fixed beds, sofas, dinettes etc. A full-timer carries winter coats in summer and you should look for at least 900kg of payload. Get the layout and payload just right and you won't care what marque it is (y) Best of luck and welcome to the fun (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 23, 2018
Funster No
MH
Researching which type.
Exp
Future newbie from caravanning for 44 years
Hi,

I wouldn't get too hung up on a particular make, your Hymer or Rapido are great marques but as a full timer you should have two things in mind, layout and payload. The layout needs to really fit your lifestyle, consider what is essential for you. for example, kitchen size, fixed beds, sofas, dinettes etc. A full-timer carries winter coats in summer and you should look for at least 900kg of payload. Get the layout and payload just right and you won't care what marque it is (y) Best of luck and welcome to the fun (y)
Wise advice, well done.

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
Hello and welcome to the mad house. When funsters say make sure that you have the right license because if you are over 70 you need to have a medical to keep your c1. But that's only if you go over 3.5 ton. But come and have fun

OP
OP
Sundowner ll

Sundowner ll

Free Member
Aug 29, 2020
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
Hi,

Thanks Jim. I have considered the layout, fixed bed and garage for bikes. Still trying to find my way around weights/payloads. I will want to have a bike or two. (push) but for once in my life, I'm going to try minimalist!

OP
OP
Sundowner ll

Sundowner ll

Free Member
Aug 29, 2020
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
Hello and welcome from another fulltimer.

As Jim said, layout and payload is your main priority, then price and make. Although your choices of either a Hymer or Rapido are very sound choices.

We carry a lot of kit all the time, bikes, paddle boards, skis. Plus all the accompanying clothes, shoes, boots etc that go with those sports. We haven't got the exact layout we would wish for, but it is close enough for the size of van - 7.8m. The most important thing for us was payload and a big garage. Then fixed beds, big enough and comfy enough for fulltime. The size of the fridge/freezer was also a consideration, as was the thermal qualities of the van.

After two other vans, a Hymer and a Dethleffs (neither of which was the wrong van, we just developed) we now have a Iveco based Carthago S Plus with a payload of 900kg. If you are going this heavy though make sure you have the right driving licence.

None of our vans have been young, 2000, 2005 and 2008, but I consider we made good choices on sound, solid motorhomes. All have had a few niggles but nothing disastrous.

Whatever you choose, good luck with your new life style and enjoy the ride.
Thanks. I'll want a garage for bikes and will need a decent payload, I've also considered the layout, fixed bed and decent lounge. I know form Army days that a little space can stop you getting on top of each other, (though we do get on very well) Still not sure what make/model but I'll keep on researching, asking and looking.

OP
OP
Sundowner ll

Sundowner ll

Free Member
Aug 29, 2020
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
Hi,

OP
OP
Sundowner ll

Sundowner ll

Free Member
Aug 29, 2020
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
Thanks Jim.
I have considered the layout, fixed bed and garage for bikes. Still trying to find my way around weights/payloads. (Does payload include occupants?) I will want to have a bike or two. (push) but for once in my life, I'm going to try minimalist!

OP
OP
Sundowner ll

Sundowner ll

Free Member
Aug 29, 2020
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
Hello and welcome from another fulltimer.

As Jim said, layout and payload is your main priority, then price and make. Although your choices of either a Hymer or Rapido are very sound choices.

We carry a lot of kit all the time, bikes, paddle boards, skis. Plus all the accompanying clothes, shoes, boots etc that go with those sports. We haven't got the exact layout we would wish for, but it is close enough for the size of van - 7.8m. The most important thing for us was payload and a big garage. Then fixed beds, big enough and comfy enough for fulltime. The size of the fridge/freezer was also a consideration, as was the thermal qualities of the van.

After two other vans, a Hymer and a Dethleffs (neither of which was the wrong van, we just developed) we now have a Iveco based Carthago S Plus with a payload of 900kg. If you are going this heavy though make sure you have the right driving licence.

None of our vans have been young, 2000, 2005 and 2008, but I consider we made good choices on sound, solid motorhomes. All have had a few niggles but nothing disastrous.

Whatever you choose, good luck with your new life style and enjoy the ride.

OP
OP
Sundowner ll

Sundowner ll

Free Member
Aug 29, 2020
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
Thanks. I'll want a garage for bikes and will need a decent payload, I've also considered the layout, fixed bed and decent lounge. I know form Army days that a little space can stop you getting on top of each other, (though we do get on very well) Still not sure what make/model but I'll keep on researching, asking and looking.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back