In at the deep end? Full time and Newbie! (1 Viewer)

Sundowner ll

Free Member
Aug 29, 2020
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
Hi. I'm another newbie wanting to go full-timing early in the new year. Going to have a budget of around £35.000, looking at buying a Hymer or Rapido then tour the UK for a few months then over to Europe. Will be seeking lots of advice and MH for sale.

Attachments

• s-l1600 (23).jpg
    s-l1600 (23).jpg
    274.8 KB · Views: 151

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi,

I wouldn't get too hung up on a particular make, your Hymer or Rapido are great marques but as a full timer you should have two things in mind, layout and payload. The layout needs to really fit your lifestyle, consider what is essential for you. for example, kitchen size, fixed beds, sofas, dinettes etc. A full-timer carries winter coats in summer and you should look for at least 900kg of payload. Get the layout and payload just right and you won't care what marque it is (y) Best of luck and welcome to the fun (y)

Last edited:

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Hello and welcome from another fulltimer.

As Jim said, layout and payload is your main priority, then price and make. Although your choices of either a Hymer or Rapido are very sound choices.

We carry a lot of kit all the time, bikes, paddle boards, skis. Plus all the accompanying clothes, shoes, boots etc that go with those sports. We haven't got the exact layout we would wish for, but it is close enough for the size of van - 7.8m. The most important thing for us was payload and a big garage. Then fixed beds, big enough and comfy enough for fulltime. The size of the fridge/freezer was also a consideration, as was the thermal qualities of the van.

After two other vans, a Hymer and a Dethleffs (neither of which was the wrong van, we just developed) we now have a Iveco based Carthago S Plus with a payload of 900kg. If you are going this heavy though make sure you have the right driving licence.

None of our vans have been young, 2000, 2005 and 2008, but I consider we made good choices on sound, solid motorhomes. All have had a few niggles but nothing disastrous.

Whatever you choose, good luck with your new life style and enjoy the ride.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Hello and :welcome4: .
Sounds like a great plan

Oct 13, 2016
Grays - Essex - UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Hymer B680
Exp
Been moho’ing for a time now
Hi & welcome to mohofun, we've got the Hymer B680 and love it, but we don't full time

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
Greetings peeps welcome from Bexley

Listen to uncle Jim he’s been there done it and got the T shirt xxxL 😂

Only joking Jim don’t ban me 😂😂

AvalonAdventur

Free Member
Jun 9, 2020
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7099F A Class
Exp
Good morning and welcome.
We did the same this year and purchased a 2006 Rapido. Great fridge freezer size, fixed bed and plenty of storage.
We managed a three month tour in between lockdowns and are loving it.
Drop us a message if you have any questions on our first six months full timing in Vern the Van.

Wabs

Free Member
May 30, 2020
Dartford
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E572
Exp
Always learning.
Hello and welcome,you will get all you need to know here,the members are an encylopaedia of knowledge,I’ve learnt everything I know from here,,good luck on your quest.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back