Geegee

Free Member
Sep 26, 2012
Fife
Funster No
MH
Citroen Relay self build
Exp
Hi funsters. Afraid I'm not in much of a fun mood today due to bank problems.
Has anyone ever got a new (UK bank) pin number whist abroad.
A few days back realised my oversea fee free debit card (N&P) expires next April whilst I'll be in Spain. I though I'd be pre-emptive and order a new card. They told me I'd get a new card and a new pin number sent out separately as usual. Got the new card yesterday, but the pin hasn't arrived yet.
Now I'm crossing to France later today and as it's a saver ticket can't be amended or refunded. So my plan was for my sister to open it and message me the new pin number (I'm a full-time so my mail goes to my sister's house) However the bank says its a temporary pin number and the first time I use it I'll be directed to pin services and prompted to change the pin, to a number of my choice. I asked if I would be able to do this from an atm in France, to which she didn't think this would be possible. So now my only option I can see is to hang around Calais till it arrives at my sister's (up to 5 working days) and then try use it. If it doesn't work (and hopefully doesn't get swallowed ) I'll have to leg it back to Dover as a foot passenger to change it at a UK atm.
Has anyone had any experience of getting a new pin whilst abroad?

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Is your card Caxton by any chance?

Sorry, I just read again and it is N&P. I know with Caxton that you can get your pin online through their app.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Won't the old card still work (unless you have cancelled it) until you activate the new one?

OP
OP
Geegee

Geegee

Free Member
Sep 26, 2012
Fife
Funster No
MH
Citroen Relay self build
Exp
Won't the old card still work (unless you have cancelled it) until you activate the new one?
When they send a new one and pin they had to cancel the old one.

OP
OP
Geegee

Geegee

Free Member
Sep 26, 2012
Fife
Funster No
MH
Citroen Relay self build
Exp
Leave the card with your sister and overnight it once working.
The card is with me in Calais. I'll be overnighting on the free aire (cite) so no address to post to.

The Dotties

Free Member
Jan 31, 2015
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Ex Newbie
Why do they change your pin when the card is renewed ? or am I missing something ?
You don't have to change your pin if you don't want to, but I believe that the first time you use the new card it must be in a u.k. Based ATM.
Once the new card is used the old one is automatically cancelled.

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
You don't have to change your pin if you don't want to, but I believe that the first time you use the new card it must be in a u.k. Based ATM.
I've just ordered a new credit card , as GT says I won't need a new pin number & the old card will be obsolete 1 week from the issue of the new one or from when I first use the new one which ever is the first date.

OP
OP
Geegee

Geegee

Free Member
Sep 26, 2012
Fife
Funster No
MH
Citroen Relay self build
Exp

Yes you do if you want a new card with a longer expiry date.
From the bank

Thank you for your message.

In order for a new debit card to be ordered with a longer expiry date, prior to the date your current card is due to expire, we will need to stop your existing card and re-issue a new card and PIN. These are sent out separately and may take up to 10 working days to arrive.

Thanks for all the replies. As I said I'll try it see if it works here and if not nip back to Dover as a foot passenger.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back