Impulsive ! (1 Viewer)

Jul 18, 2020
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Out of the blue we decided to buy a motor home after about a 5 minute discussion , we have owned caravans in the past . Due to Covid we knew we wouldn't be flying for a while and we like our holidays . My sister had recently bought a motor home due to the same reason , they have previously owned motor homes
We tried to budget the same as they had spent , visited a local dealer and realised we would have to up it , however we weren't prepared to up it that much !
We looked at 2 local private sales , 1 was far too small for us . My husband had the view we would buy one big enough for our kids to borrow if they wanted . So we bought the 6 berth , which we find ideal for the 2 of us . Its a 2005 Ace Firenze , only had 10k miles on the clock and immaculate inside ,
We seem to be in the minority of older vans , on visiting sites all we seem to see is sparkly new or newish Motor homes ? So I have slight Motor Home envy lol

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
10k miles in 15years, far too low, probably been in storage for years.

We bought our present van when it was 4 years old with less than 700 miles on the clock and its had no problems at all. (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
My husband had the view we would buy one big enough for our kids to borrow if they wanted . So we bought the 6 berth
Are you sure your kids have the correct driving licence to drive a big vehicle over 3500kg if they passed their car test after 1996, they will have to take a further C1 test

Swifter

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2020
Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2019
We looked at 2 local private sales , 1 was far too small for us . My husband had the view we would buy one big enough for our kids to borrow if they wanted . So we bought the 6 berth , which we find ideal for the 2 of us . Its a 2005 Ace Firenze , only
Welcome 👍🏻
I guess from that comment you are mainly staying on Caravan and Motorhome club sites 😁.
We have a 2006 and are nearly always one of the oldest motorhomes when we visit the club sites . That said I am about 20 years younger than most of the owners so plenty of time to catch up 😂👍🏻
Edit
Sorry I quoted the wrong part of your post lol .
It was the part about being the oldest van in the site I was referring to👍🏻👍🏻

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
We bought a brand new Burstner Aviano which was 7m in 2008 thinking it would fit on our drive.

it didn’t by about 2 metres:rolleyes:

Nothing like proper research and preparation

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I do not know the OP's MH but our N&B Arto is 2003 and well built and has the 2.8jtd engine which is simpler to maintain and repair than those with the emissions gizzmos about in new vehicles.

So older is not necessarily worse. If I were parked with other MHs I doubt whether I would know what ages they are.

Geoff

OP
OP
P
Jul 18, 2020
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Are you sure your kids have the correct driving licence to drive a big vehicle over 3500kg if they passed their car test after 1996, they will have to take a further C1 test

Yes I am very sure
We have a family run transport company ,they all have HGV licences
We might be new to motor homes but not to the law

OP
OP
P
Jul 18, 2020
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Welcome 👍🏻
I guess from that comment you are mainly staying on Caravan and Motorhome club sites 😁.
We have a 2006 and are nearly always one of the oldest motorhomes when we visit the club sites . That said I am about 20 years younger than most of the owners so plenty of time to catch up 😂👍🏻
Edit
Sorry I quoted the wrong part of your post lol .
It was the part about being the oldest van in the site I was referring to👍🏻👍🏻

I couldn't believe how much money there is about lol

OP
OP
P
Jul 18, 2020
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I do not know the OP's MH but our N&B Arto is 2003 and well built and has the 2.8jtd engine which is simpler to maintain and repair than those with the emissions gizzmos about in new vehicles.

So older is not necessarily worse. If I were parked with other MHs I doubt whether I would know what ages they are.

Geoff

It does the job ! Drives very well and pretty economically considering its built like a horse box :giggle:

OP
OP
P
Jul 18, 2020
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
10k miles in 15years, far too low, probably been in storage for years.

We are the 4th owner ,previous owner bought it off a friend ,suspect to turn it round quickly.but you are correct it has been stored in a barn .Before buying it we did an HPI check owner number 2 had the van for the majority of the vans life ,and from the MOT we can see they did just over 200 miles a year .Apparently they went to 1 event a year
Strange you think mileage too low?

OP
OP
P
Jul 18, 2020
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
We bought a brand new Burstner Aviano which was 7m in 2008 thinking it would fit on our drive.

it didn’t by about 2 metres:rolleyes:

Nothing like proper research and preparation
I was worried ours wouldn't, but then I have no spacial awareness...luckily it does !

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I should have added my husband likes it so much he will go and sit in it on the drive !
My dog does that. I only have to open the door and he's in. Mind you, he knows there are 'treats' in there.

:unsure: Does hubby take a corkscrew with him?

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Yes I am very sure
We have a family run transport company ,they all have HGV licences
We might be new to motor homes but not to the law
I was not intending to come across as rude, you would be shocked the number of people that have absolutely no idea when it comes to driving licences. Your family is clearly an exception thankfully

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Hello and welcome from West Midlands. 👍 We've been impulsive twice. Once ten years ago and once three years ago. Not regretted either motorome.:whew:

Wyn

OP
OP
P
Jul 18, 2020
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I was not intending to come across as rude, you would be shocked the number of people that have absolutely no idea when it comes to driving licences. Your family is clearly an exception thankfully
I know

and I tend to be the first to tell them lol
when we were looking at motor homes we looked at one at a dealers , and it was a bigger outfit . The salesman , must have mentioned the need for the correct licence at least six times , despite being told that my husband had his HGV , it got a bit wearing

OP
OP
P
Jul 18, 2020
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
My dog does that. I only have to open the door and he's in. Mind you, he knows there are 'treats' in there.

:unsure: Does hubby take a corkscrew with him?

no he just sits there !
when we go away with sister and brother in law ( they have their own van ) hes constantly looking out the window to see if bil is ready to come out and play

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
We are the 4th owner ,previous owner bought it off a friend ,suspect to turn it round quickly.but you are correct it has been stored in a barn .Before buying it we did an HPI check owner number 2 had the van for the majority of the vans life ,and from the MOT we can see they did just over 200 miles a year .Apparently they went to 1 event a year
Strange you think mileage too low?
Motorhomes are based on commercial vehicles designed for high mileages, so a vehicle that hasn't been driven much can suffer from mechanical problems through disuse. Hopefully yours won't, and the fact of being stored inside is definitely in its favour.
Many many years ago I bought a car that was very low mileage, chap only used it for weekly shop. Exhaust was solid with soot and corroded and camshaft badly worn presumably lack of lubrication, I think the choke had never been off. Yours has apparently been used for infrequent but reasonably long trips so should be fine.
My motorhome sits around for prolonged periods, but generally a trip will be 2000-5000 miles in a few weeks, so one extreme to another.
Best wishes for yours, I'm sure it will be fine and give you some good times.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back