Improving the fridge? (1 Viewer)

Mar 24, 2010
stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
relay lwb pvc
Exp
6 years
I know the old 3 way fridges are not brilliant but as I never use the small "icebox" on mine would it help to keep fridge cooler if I took the small door of icebox?

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Probably, seems logical, but I must confess to not having a lot of experience in this area.
But be prepared for things to freeze that you don`t want frozen though !
BTW my three way seems to work pretty well, I did a test last week and the freezer part got down to -15 C on EHU, (stat at mid setting).
Going to try it next on gas and see what it gets down to

Edit : after reading @Allanm comments I might look at fans when I get back from France if it performs poorly

Last edited:

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
I don't think leaving the freezer door off will help, but you could try leaving the door open as much as you can then see what happens.
The problem with these types of fridges is that they rely on cool air passing over the cooling fins behind the fridge to take the heat away. On really hot days, they become more inefficient, which is not ideal for a fridge.
On our last van, I fitted 2 small fans inside the top vent. They were thermostatically controlled and made a big difference to the cooling.
The fridge we have now will freeze lettuces and carrots in the fridge part and keep ice creams solid in the freezer compartment....in the middle of winter. On very hot days, it's pretty much just a cool box when on gas or mains.
I might get round to fitting cooling fans, but we have learnt not to rely on it too much in the summer.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
We put a fan in our fridge vent and it has definitely helped, although we have just 'lost' the milk.
The stuff in the freezer stayed solid tho!

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
The door off freezer may well help ...on my fridge and a F/F I have you can remove the freezer bit to create a bigger fridge
Terry

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back